1000.00 + Computer doesn't turn on anymore. Watch

red_Rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, if you open up your case, your motherboard should have a light on (green) to show that its getting power. If there's no light its either your PSU or MB.
pyrolol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ViolatedTreason)
a computer will still power on without a HDD, CPU, RAM or other components, it just wont boot. the OP is saying it wont power on at all.
No. Say you're missing a cpu fan. Hit power; motherboard detects no fan, shuts down instantly to protect cpu. Booting without cpu, or with faulty ram causes the same result, I should know, I had this exact problem (turned out to be a dodgy stick of ram; I got that from the post code, but if I hadn't had the lcd post display, I'm not sure what I could have done.) Unplug what you can; down to cpu/fan, mb, 1stick ram, and nothing else, and see if your comp can power on like that.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
try replacing the AC lead. or remove it for 30 seconds.. plug it back in
mosesff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
its the only way to test a PSU if it wont power with your mobo. if its ****ed, then nothin will happen. if it isnt, it will just short out and turn itself off to protect itself, no damage will become of it
What about the wire in hole 16 etc.

I tried this with a PSP battery in the different parts like part 1 part 2 etc and the whole battery got fried as it were, which makes me cautious taking a risk.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pyrolol)
No. Say you're missing a cpu fan. Hit power; motherboard detects no fan, shuts down instantly to protect cpu. Booting without cpu, or with faulty ram causes the same result, I should know, I had this exact problem (turned out to be a dodgy stick of ram; I got that from the post code, but if I hadn't had the lcd post display, I'm not sure what I could have done.) Unplug what you can; down to cpu/fan, mb, 1stick ram, and nothing else, and see if your comp can power on like that.
most allow access to bios, then says CPU fan not detected and will prevent boot. they do not prevent power up. and for it to detect no CPU fan, there must be some power.
pyrolol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mosesff)
What about the wire in hole 16 etc.

I tried this with a PSP battery in the different parts like part 1 part 2 etc and the whole battery got fried as it were, which makes me cautious taking a risk.
Don't mess with PSU's without extreme caution. Those things contain large capacitors that can still injure you even without power.
pyrolol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there must be some power.
I mean the motherboard is powered, but you can't actually turn the computer on.
mosesff
Rep:
?
most allow access to bios, then says CPU fan not detected and will prevent boot. they do not prevent power up. and for it to detect no CPU fan, there must be some power.
Again I am not sure if I should try this method, it may be right but it may not, violatedtreason expresses his doubts, which makes me doubtful too.

I will try redrose's solution, I am open to more, give me a minute.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
none of my computers have ever done that, it got past the POST screen, then told me the problems..
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will try redrose's solution, I am open to more, give me a minute.
Well let me know how you get on. I've had problems myself recently, and it turns out the new motherboard i was using was faulty and had to be returned. Although i know that this isnt new, i tried several things to get it going before finally returning it.
mosesff
Rep:
?
Ok upon looking at my computer I have noticed some useful facts...

(Hey I did this a while ago be gentle)
It is a 700W Power Supply
4Gig Ram
3.2GHZ Dual Core AMD 64 (Can't remember much)
Motherboard- No idea
XFX 8600 GPU

Anyway the motherboard either does not have a light or shows none.

A seperate USB 7 Port hub is attached and the USB lights are shown as DIM my main power light is shown as on.

A seperate USB which is plugged in to either the hub or to the computer actually indicates a blue light showing it is powered I believe....

Strange....
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so theres power to the peripherals, but not enough to the mobo?

700w PSU should be more than enough for that set-up
mosesff
Rep:
?
try replacing the AC lead. or remove it for 30 seconds.. plug it back in
I removed it for longer than 30 seconds no response, nothing changed. I don't have an alternative AC Lead or maybe I do but the voltage might screw with it.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
remove the power cable for a while, then plug it back in. my comp wont start after a short until i do that

edit: sorry. you posted as i posted this lol
mosesff
Rep:
?
so theres power to the peripherals, but not enough to the mobo?

700w PSU should be more than enough for that set-up
I'll check if the perhipals are powered by the hub as the hub is powered by a seperate plug rather than the computer but the hub is attached to the computer.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
check all the cables along the mobo power cable to make sure they are all intact
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll check if the perhipals are powered by the hub as the hub is powered by a seperate plug rather than the computer but the hub is attached to the computer.
if its powered by a seperate mains plug then thats why there is a light on it. sounds to me like your mobo or psu has died. do you have a spare psu anywhere?
mosesff
Rep:
?
I removed the USB perhipal which is a USB camera it is attached to a USB hub, the hub is powered externally (through a plug).

When I removed the USB perhipal it turned off the blue light, so it may be that the plug is powering it rather than confirmation from the computer as all the usb lights on the hub are off.

The link you gave mentioned this:
"You could blow up your PSU. That is how to successfully jump your PSU."

Worrying, no...?

Anyway, yes I have a spare PSU, the old one but it is probably 350watts or less or I think that region, making it crap for my setup I think.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the only thing you can do is try a different PSU or mobo, or test the current psu by jumping it. if you dont feel safe doing it, dont. just take it to a local computer shop or something?
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I removed the USB perhipal which is a USB camera it is attached to a USB hub, the hub is powered externally (through a plug).

When I removed the USB perhipal it turned off the blue light, so it may be that the plug is powering it rather than confirmation from the computer as all the usb lights on the hub are off.

The link you gave mentioned this:
"You could blow up your PSU. That is how to successfully jump your PSU."

Worrying, no...?

Anyway, yes I have a spare PSU, the old one but it is probably 350v or less or I think that region, making it crap for my setup I think.
it may be crap, but so long as it does something towards powering, it would be a good indication, no?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise