wht petrol goes in my car Watch

The Edwinnator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My god, this is the most ridiculous thread I have seen in some time :O How can you NOT know that a 318i is a PETROL 3 Series?
thats funny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you are a thick *******

spray toxic gases into a bag and put it over your head you idiot

it tells in the vehicle

sorry it's how i feel - moron

edit: awaits likely warning - see signature
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tinkerbellejess)
Can you not hear if it takes petrol or diesal?
A lot of the newer diesels have very little difference sound-wise, and it takes someone with real experience/knowledge to be able to tell the difference. They also start like petrols these days (ie no delay between turning the key and starting the engine)
tomc87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
A lot of the newer diesels have very little difference sound-wise, and it takes someone with real experience/knowledge to be able to tell the difference. They also start like petrols these days (ie no delay between turning the key and starting the engine)
Some of us still have to type in a code to turn the immobiliser off AND then wait for the glow plug warning light to go off, fortunately I'm not usually in a rush to get anywhere!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tomc87)
Some of us still have to type in a code to turn the immobiliser off AND then wait for the glow plug warning light to go off, fortunately I'm not usually in a rush to get anywhere!
Haha, our diesel is like that - We have to wait for glow plugs. xD We had a Pug 307D that was an instant start though.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, OP for your information;

Diesel is NOT petrol. It is a seperate fuel altogether. A bit like coal and gas. Totally different.

All Petrol is unleaded these days.

:banghead:
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Two issues here:

1. Does your dad know you are driving his car? Are you using it without his permission? That's car theft, even if you use the keys, drive it round the block, top up the tank and put it back on the drive, and is a serious, serious crime.

2. If you can't tell that a car is petrol or diesel by listening to it and feeling it, are you really experienced enough to be driving such a powerful car?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jonathan)
1. Does your dad know you are driving his car? Are you using it without his permission? That's car theft, even if you use the keys, drive it round the block, top up the tank and put it back on the drive, and is a serious, serious crime.
My dad, many years ago, shopped my older brother because he was so sick of him taking her car without permission. xD It quickly stopped him.
C00kiemonster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
driving such a powerful car?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

NICE ONE.
Jonathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C00kiemonster)
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

NICE ONE.
What? :confused:
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Two issues here:

2. If you can't tell that a car is petrol or diesel by listening to it and feeling it, are you really experienced enough to be driving such a powerful car?

I think we should rephrase powerful with RWD.

It certainly aint boasting power. But that RWD is deadly to beginners in the wet!
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)

It certainly aint boasting power. But that RWD is deadly to beginners in the wet!
Replace beginners with irresponsible drivers .
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at least shes not putting petrol in a diesel. now that would be catastrophic. and btw even the most modern diesels are incredibly easy to pick apart from petrols. firstly they sound completely difference. second they pull away completely different and third the gear ratios are completely different.
Jonathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
at least shes not putting petrol in a diesel. now that would be catastrophic. and btw even the most modern diesels are incredibly easy to pick apart from petrols. firstly they sound completely difference. second they pull away completely different and third the gear ratios are completely different.
As has been said on this thread many times, some petrol in a diesel tank is not a problem. The figure usually quoted is maximum 5 litres of petrol to the rest of a tank of diesel.

Taxi and HGV drivers sometimes add some petrol to improve the volatility of the fuel for some reason.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)

No it isn't.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
No it isn't.
agreed. and ive argued about this before. 99% of drivers would struggle to tell you which wheels were driving them anyways,
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As has been said on this thread many times, some petrol in a diesel tank is not a problem. The figure usually quoted is maximum 5 litres of petrol to the rest of a tank of diesel.

Taxi and HGV drivers sometimes add some petrol to improve the volatility of the fuel for some reason.
well sorry Mr Expert. btw im sure people usually put in more than 5 litres when they fill up. and not that the tank would be that full of diesel to start with :rolleyes:
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
agreed. and ive argued about this before. 99% of drivers would struggle to tell you which wheels were driving them anyways,
What's your car history out of interest?
Jonathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well sorry Mr Expert. btw im sure people usually put in more than 5 litres when they fill up. and not that the tank would be that full of diesel to start with :rolleyes:
Well, yeah, if you put a tankful of petrol in a diesel car, it's going to do a lot of damage. But a small fraction of petrol is OK.

The highest safe concentration of petrol for a diesel engine is 5 litres of petrol per the rest of a tank of diesel. In other words, if you put in up to 5 litres of petrol by accident, then if you fill it to the brim with diesel, your engine may be fine (and might even benefit, having been slightly decoked).
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
What's your car history out of interest?
I think hes only owned a Toyota yaris
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise