Video games and violence Watch

Poll: Do video games cause people to be violent?
I play video games, and I don't see anything wrong (63)
85.14%
I play video games, and I think they do cause violent/aggressive behaviour (5)
6.76%
I don't play video games, and I don't see anything wrong (4)
5.41%
I don't play video games, and I think they do cause violent/aggressive behaviour (2)
2.7%
baby_emmy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just all down to the person really, different things effect different people and what not (bit of a vauge arguement :p:)

I've been playing/watching my brother play games my whole life. When i was little it was mainly games like Quake/Doom/Duke Nukem (:cool:), they are hardly hardcore or anything but still involved guns, killing people etc Then when he got older he started playing more 'extreme' ones which i still played/watched, and i think i turned out ok :ninja:

-x-
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hm this is a tricky one. The people I know who play video games, including violent ones, are not violent people at all and would never act aggressively. But I can't say this for everyone out there. I believe that if a video game is going to cause someone to go out and kill another person then they must have had something wrong with them in the first place and may have done that without playing a violent video game.
I must admit though, the games where you can go and beat up old women with baseball bats, or choose specifically where you want to shoot someone and cause them to react in different ways are a bit gross! They're fun too, sometimes.
Untitled258
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mum baught my 10 year old brother Gears of War, im fairly confident i can say that im not expecting to come and chain saw me in half any time soon. They have been braught up to know better, just because there 10, even if the game is an 18, it dosnt mean its going to warp there minds and they will become killers, a very large majority of kids probably wont do.
Modulus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _Mazza_)
I think the media is just looking for something to blame for the increases in knife crime and shootings on, it has been shown in studies that violence in video games does not link to an increase in aggressive behaviour anyway in a US study.

Don't tell any of this to Jack Thompson though.
I'm so happy he is finally getting screwed
_Mazza_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The thing is that the rating system isn't ideal.

I don't think me playing Grand Theft Auto when I was 13 did me any harm even though it is an 18 rated game. I wouldn't be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto till next week if the law was enforced which is pretty stupid.
Kätzchen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I cite causal effect 99% of the time for this sort of thing.

Violent video games do not make people violent. However, violent people will most likely play violent video games.

And the same holds for music, subcultures etc.
Gourdman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Violent videogames do cause short term aggression:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-violence.html
Then theres the whole electro-shock punishing game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ay-Monkey-Do.2

Essentially, student plays a game. Then performs some task or something, with the option to punish another student with a blast of noise. Those who played violent games punished a lot more often.

So there is some link, but it seems minsicule.
OiaB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Gourdman)
Violent videogames do cause short term aggression:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-violence.html
Then theres the whole electro-shock punishing game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ay-Monkey-Do.2

Essentially, student plays a game. Then performs some task or something, with the option to punish another student with a blast of noise. Those who played violent games punished a lot more often.

So there is some link, but it seems minsicule.
can't remember who did that study - we did it in psychology. but the same goes for films. i don't see violent films getting blamed for "violence".

lets be fair - film violence could be seen as far harder to distinguish between reality and fantasy?

humm.
baby_emmy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OiaB)
can't remember who did that study - we did it in psychology. but the same goes for films. i don't see violent films getting blamed for "violence".
Oh yeaaaah, we did the 'Bobo doll' study

-x-
BOBO777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents never let me play video games at all when i was growing, probably because of their views on the Bulger case so i was brought up on playing card games & backgammon which i don't blame them as at the time the murder was sickening. I've probably only played video games 1/2 a dozen times in my entire life! But i don't think they are violent and even towards this day i would choose to play a game of stud 8 or backgammon over any console reguardless of whether most of my friends were playing it or how popular the game was.
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think sometimes game can cause people to become violent and agressive. But it's nothing to do with the subject matter of the games. Some games are bloody frustrating. For example Postal 2 is probably the sickest, most violent and disturbing games I've ever played. But it's not frustrating, it's just entertaining comical (but adult) violence. The old Mario games however make me want to rip someone's head off :p:
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
exactly. my GRAN, yes, my GRAN, bought my little bro GTA 3 when he just turned 10!!!
ridiculous!
and now he's become a little Ch(av)Emo who is probably the grumpiest person i know, and he's only 13.
his favourite games? GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS, GTAA, GTA:VC....
and he won't touch a game that doesn't involve cars or weapons, and his favourite programmes involve wrestling, swearing and nudity.
i think that nowadays there's a general apathy from parents that "well, they'll find out soon enough anyway, so why does it matter if we show them now" when in reality, their minds aren't mature enough to cope with these plots.
you know what his favourite film is? Hostel |:
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do believe that children do get more violent when they play GTAIV. But not enough to carry out violent actions. (If they do, they are stupid).
Grace Under Pressure
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Video games do not affect people's behaviour. Anything violent they do is usually down to the way they were brought up, not what the media feeds them.
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
millions of people suffered during the world wars, the slave trade, the crusades, etc without a playstation in sight. hitler, stalin and mussolini never played video games. i think there is something more fundamental than videogames that we need to think about.
cactus_c
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Video games DO NOT influence your aggressivity. I've been playing video games since the age of 8, and guess what, I'm perfectly normal! And all the people arguing in favor of age restrictions are full of ****. Ever heard of individual liberty?

Now excuse me while I go try my new baseball bat on the old granny that just passed by.
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, the old "violent video games" argument, also known as the "Grand Theft Auto turned my five-year-old into a homicidal maniac" argument :ninja:

I've made my views on this matter perfectly clear in various threads in the Gaming forum over the years...so I'll be a bit brief here and you can search my old posts in Gaming if you're interested in getting more (yeah, that'll be nobody, then I wouldn't blame you, though; about 1/4 of my posts are in Gaming :angel:)

The general argument against violent video games tends to spring up as a result of teenagers or children playing a game and copying what they've seen on the screen, much like we all did when we were younger (or even still do now - how many of you footballing lads have tried to imitate Cristiano Ronaldo's ball skills, for instance? ). Reports into the matter suggest that younger people have more difficulty in differentiating reality from fiction, a point Rockstar took the piss out of in the chat radio show for Grand Theft Auto III:
I wanted to say something about these videogames, they are warping our kids' minds. My sons dog, Bugle, got hit by a truck, and he says 'Mummy, mummy, where's the reset button?.' Kids these days, they think life is a game. Well it's not a game Lazlow. It is very, very serious. I let my kid play video games, and now, he runs around the house looking for gold coins. This is teaching our children to go chase money.
Anyway, these games are clearly labelled as being for people who are over 18. The fact that parents buy these games for the kids, the kid does something silly and they blame the game and say it should be banned or whatever, it's a ****ing joke; the kid would never have got it if the parent hadn't bought it (granted, I got a copy of GTA: San Andreas when I was 17, but I know of kids as young as four who play GTA, and no shopkeeper would sell a copy of that to a young kid), so it's their own goddamn fault for not seeing what the game is about before they went ahead and bought it; it's obviously rated 18 for a reason :rolleyes:

The Byron report that was released a while ago was ordered to find out what could be done to help reach a compromise. Wouldn't you know it, the papers get a hold of it and twist everything said in it to suit their own agendas. I read this in a magazine a while ago, so I'll just go get it and take an excerpt from it...
One of the reasons the review was requested in the first place was in reaction to moral panic stirred up by recent newspaper stories.
Predictably, the newspapers are now spinning its findings to fit their own political agendas.
Almost all jumped on the ratings issue. The Daily Mail said: "Computer games will carry cinema-style age ratings to protect children from violent and sexual images, ministers said yesterday." Which ignores the BBFC ratings that appear on many games already. They then got Anne Diamond to give her "chilling verdict" on violent games, where she concluded Resident Evil 4 should be banned and "this kind of violence can only be bad for you".
The Times announced: "Computer games to get cigarette-style health warning" and that the report "will also recommend that retailers who sell videogames to anyone under the age rating on the box should face a hefty fine or up to five years in prison.". It does nothing of the sort.
Keith Vaz, the MP who attempted to get the Rockstar game Manhunt banned, tabled an Early Day Motion following the release of the review. In a statement to parliament he claims of the report: "It accepts finally and for the first time that children can be affected by violent videogames and access to the internet", which is something the report discusses but comes to no conclusions about.
Finally, a disturbing message from one anonymous newspaper looking for a story. They put this up on a messageboard: "A national newspaper wants your story and will pay hundreds of pounds to the right person. Write a few lines about how computer games turned you to crime and if it's something we like, we'll call you straight back."
OiaB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by baby_emmy)
Oh yeaaaah, we did the 'Bobo doll' study

-x-
nah that was SLT rather than aggression. The study i'm thinking of involved showing a video (i think it as Karate Kid 3) and the results were amusing because the scene was only a PG rated.

and it still 'showed' increaseed levels of violence. apparently
Untitled258
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im more likely to get agresive after playing Forza Motersport for a bit, a nice simple racing game, ages 3+

But still, when the pissing AI decide to ram you off the road on the last lap of a race, when you have been in first 6 out of the 7 laps, and you end up coming last, thats when i get annoyed haha.
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just curious about other people's points of view? Get a more varied response than me and my step dad ^^
Haha. Afraid not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads