The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hold up, can someone please clear this up for me - when exactly do we get out student loan?

I thought we get it before freshers?
Reply 21
HAving your parents there is totally normal ... there was no way I could have lugged all my stuff to Uni on my own!

As for food, I would just buy it when you get there because for a start no food = more room in the car for your stuff; secondly, you would hve to go out and buy stuff like milk and butter anyway as they would spoil in the car (unless you brought a coolbag which would take up more room and that again means less room for stuff) so you might as well do a full shop when you get there rather than 2 small shops ...
Reply 22
couture_kid
hold up, can someone please clear this up for me - when exactly do we get out student loan?

I thought we get it before freshers?

You get it 3-5 working days after you enrol and its likely you will enrol during freshers week so you won't get it before freshers.

I think even if your university lets you enrol online before hand, you still have to show them your student finance letter when you get there and then they tell the SLC to make the payment.
Reply 23
titanlux
I flew in on my own with 20 Kg which was nothing

Ditto.

Some people I met in freshers seemed so surreal - Mummy and Daddy helping them unpack their 2 guitars, entire collection of books and DVDs, lamps, extra **** basically.
I felt a bit jealous at first - as the above poster said, because I had to fly all I could bring were carefully chosen clothes, letters/photos, a few of my favourites books and DVDs. The rest: duvet, pots, pans, bedding, cutlery, sound systems [insert anything even remotely bulky or heavy] etc I had to buy once I got to uni which was quite depressing since my student loan hadn't come yet!

But in retrospect, I quite enjoyed having been forced to keep things to a minimum. It means I can up and go whenever I feel like it, and don't rely on my parents to cart me here, there and everywhere with my collection of bulky posessions.

I don't think you need all that stuff people bring. You are going to be living in halls(?) for 9 months. There really is no need - ok, you want to make it as 'homely' as possible, but still... But in Freshers, and in the first year in general (IMO!), the amount of stuff, and what you choose to bring is a reflection of who you are and the shiny new identity everyone creates for themselves.

Wow sorry for the rant - really bored and at work :p:
is it normal to get ur parents to come with u if u are going to uni in your own car???
Reply 25
evertn4lif
is it normal to get ur parents to come with u if u are going to uni in your own car???

No is the short answer. just ask for the money for a first shop and stuff:smile:
Reply 26
in_vogue
Ditto.

Some people I met in freshers seemed so surreal - Mummy and Daddy helping them unpack their 2 guitars, entire collection of books and DVDs, lamps, extra **** basically.
I felt a bit jealous at first - as the above poster said, because I had to fly all I could bring were carefully chosen clothes, letters/photos, a few of my favourites books and DVDs. The rest: duvet, pots, pans, bedding, cutlery, sound systems [insert anything even remotely bulky or heavy] etc I had to buy once I got to uni which was quite depressing since my student loan hadn't come yet!

But in retrospect, I quite enjoyed having been forced to keep things to a minimum. It means I can up and go whenever I feel like it, and don't rely on my parents to cart me here, there and everywhere with my collection of bulky posessions.

I don't think you need all that stuff people bring. You are going to be living in halls(?) for 9 months. There really is no need - ok, you want to make it as 'homely' as possible, but still... But in Freshers, and in the first year in general (IMO!), the amount of stuff, and what you choose to bring is a reflection of who you are and the shiny new identity everyone creates for themselves.

Wow sorry for the rant - really bored and at work :p:

lol i know what you mean. it was a little depressing at times when your walls and shelves were bare when people passed comments :p: less excess baggage expense though!

Latest

Trending

Trending