Ridiculous university choices Watch

This discussion is closed.
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
id choose social scene over "prestige" any day.. its about who you are with when it comes to uni
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by neon)
Someone at my school chose Strathclyde over UCL this year. Both had offers of ABB.
Strathclyde has some quite excellent departments. It's not akin choosing Wolverhampton over Cambridge.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Strathclyde has some quite excellent departments. It's not akin choosing Wolverhampton over Cambridge.
Yes, I was thinking that. In law and engineering especially.

I've known someone who chose to study at KCL (when they didn't like big cities or really knew that much about the university) simply because it was prestigious.

Choosing for prestige alone is equally, if not more, ridiculous.
Pheonixx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at the moment, nightlife is more important that the work, so i can understand his position, then again ivr pnly jus finished my first year, so that will change (hopefully lol)
snorty_swirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)

Do they come out in hives if they go further north than Sheffield?
haha i dunno.. i know it sounds weird but we have lived almost 14 years in the tropics... and i know i cant handle the cold... so they wanna stay in the south
LieDown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A friend of mine chose northumbria over durham, but she really didn't like Durham and absolutely loved northumbria, and the latter suited her, so it was a good decision, even if you were looking at it 'prestige' wise it may not be. That's not the best way of lookign at it though. The fact that it is a 'good' uni should be somewhere on your priorities but not at the top.
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've seen gaping faces when I admitted choosing Edinburgh over Durham/Warwick/Bristol, which is always a little alarming, as I didn't think there was really much of a difference in terms of prestige.
atoms4peace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
I've seen gaping faces when I admitted choosing Edinburgh over Durham/Warwick/Bristol, which is always a little alarming, as I didn't think there was really much of a difference in terms of prestige.
i thought edinburgh was a very good uni? Thats not that bad
The Lad
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)

It amazes me how people on here go on and on about departments. At the end of they day, when you're out in the big wide world looking for work, most employers are more concerned about which uni you went to rather than if the deprtment in the subject you studied is good or bad. Can you honsestly imagine an employer looking at a CV from someone for example who studied at English at Thames Valley (lets say for this example that Thames Valley had the best English department in the country) thinking ''this person went to bad uni, however, the English department at Thames Valley is really good so I'll employer him'' :rolleyes:
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mate chose leeds met over loughbrough for sport to be close to the girlfriend. terrible crack!
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by atoms4peace)
i thought edinburgh was a very good uni? Thats not that bad
was gonna say edinburgh is quite prestigious innit?

lol
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by snorty_swirl)
haha i dunno.. i know it sounds weird but we have lived almost 14 years in the tropics... and i know i cant handle the cold... so they wanna stay in the south
Do they have to go with you or something then?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by snorty_swirl)
Durham's not cold....It still has above average temperatures (for the UK) and is dry. I don't think there's anywhere in this country that's "cold". I know it's all relative but everywhere's a lot milder than it was even when I was ickle. We don't even have snow anymore!

(Original post by LieDown)
A friend of mine chose northumbria over durham, but she really didn't like Durham and absolutely loved northumbria, and the latter suited her, so it was a good decision, even if you were looking at it 'prestige' wise it may not be. That's not the best way of lookign at it though. The fact that it is a 'good' uni should be somewhere on your priorities but not at the top.
Northumbria is one of the country's top new universities though. It's progressive and respected. Despite the huge gap between the two in most tables it's not as if it was a choice between Durham and Teesside :p:

I know someone who was good enough to get into Durham but chose to go to Northumbria (and, erm...dropped out) but there were numerous reasons for choosing Northumbria and nothing wrong with the decision at all. It's just for someone to pick it for shopping facilities when you can be in one within fifteen minutes of leaving the other city.
The Lad
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
mate chose leeds met over loughbrough for sport to be close to the girlfriend. terrible crack!

That reminds me of another example, a friend of a friend chose Southampton over Cambridge because his girlfriend was at Southampton. He split up with her at the end of his first year and now really, really regrets it. :eek:
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm frequently told that my choice was ridiculous....i chose UWIC over Exeter...both similar, achievable offers!
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Lad)
That reminds me of another example, a friend of a friend chose Southampton over Cambridge because his girlfriend was at Southampton. He split up with her at the end of his first year and now really, really regrets it. :eek:
thats what we tell him! now hes down there hes gonna see her cheatin on him so he might as well go to the better uni coz theyll just finish as soon as he gets there! Silly bugger is in love tho!
LieDown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)

Northumbria is one of the country's top new universities though. It's progressive and respected. Despite the huge gap between the two in most tables it's not as if it was a choice between Durham and Teesside :p:

I know someone who was good enough to get into Durham but chose to go to Northumbria (and, erm...dropped out) but there were numerous reasons for choosing Northumbria and nothing wrong with the decision at all. It's just for someone to pick it for shopping facilities when you can be in one within fifteen minutes of leaving the other city.
Oh yeah I know, I wasn't particularly shocked by it at all, but I know that some people (particularly teachers) were a little, which I think was superficial of them! I remember being jealous because of their awesome facilities and accommodation etc because my course wasn't given there! But anyway, I'm happy with my decision certainly wasn't done on prestige.

The shopping thing is ridiculous.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Lad)
It amazes me how people on here go on and on about departments. At the end of they day, when you're out in the big wide world looking for work, most employers are more concerned about which uni you went to rather than if the deprtment in the subject you studied is good or bad. Can you honsestly imagine an employer looking at a CV from someone for example who studied at English at Thames Valley (lets say for this example that Thames Valley had the best English department in the country) :
Nope, that's Durham

But the point is this.

1. Employers do not care about uni rep generally. In areas such as law or IB they know which ones are the target unis. Most other employers are quite clueless and are more bothered about the candidate and degree itself. It really isn't that much of a concern.

2. The areas that Strathclyde is strong in (engineering, law) are departments where grads will probably go directly into those professions. Most of them, anyway.
snorty_swirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sarahl89)
Do they have to go with you or something then?
haha no not really, but i would miss them if they were too far away, and there are universitiees further south that are just as good
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I chose Kent because I loved the campus and the feel of it. It's somewhere I'm gonna have to spend the next 3/4 years of my life in so why not pick one that I feel comfortable with?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads