Buying Food like Bread, Milk, Sugar,Butter, Salt etc Watch

DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
Are you kidding? Have you seen the prices of bread recently or are you rich enough not to care?

I personally bought all my own food - wasn't really a problem, you usually divide the fridge so everyone has a compartment to themselves.
Holy bakery batman, it's £1 a loaf! At sainsbury's, its £1.09 for an 800g loaf of 'Tiger Bread', and thats nice bread. Someone eating twice as much bread as you is going to have consumed a shocking 35 pence worth of bread more than you have. That equates to about 70g worth of the cheapest chicken breast you can get. Do you serve your meals with a pair of scales handy?

Unless you're going hungry because of flatmates eating your food, it's probably time to relax.

I'm not exactly rich, receiving the minimum loan and £2,000/year worth of support form my parents, putting me about a grand under those who are eligible for the maximum maintenance loan. I work full time for about 2 months in the summer to support my drinking habits and penchant for expensive hobbies.
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
Holy bakery batman, it's £1 a loaf! At sainsbury's, its £1.09 for an 800g loaf of 'Tiger Bread', and thats nice bread. Someone eating twice as much bread as you is going to have consumed a shocking 35 pence worth of bread more than you have. That equates to about 70g worth of the cheapest chicken breast you can get. Do you serve your meals with a pair of scales handy?

Unless you're going hungry because of flatmates eating your food, it's probably time to relax.

I'm not exactly rich, receiving the minimum loan and £2,000/year worth of support form my parents, putting me about a grand under those who are eligible for the maximum maintenance loan. I work full time for about 2 months in the summer to support my drinking habits and penchant for expensive hobbies.
I have to shop in Somerfield usually where to get a decent loaf of bread it's £1.50 - and when you've got a weekly budget of about £25 for food it IS a fair amount of money. Also the fact that I only eat a few slices a week would mean that I'd be paying for someone else's supply of bread. I'd rather just buy my own and freeze it so a loaf lasts a week or two. Dont judge people who cant afford to waste money on food they dont eat.
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
I have to shop in Somerfield usually where to get a decent loaf of bread it's £1.50 - and when you've got a weekly budget of about £25 for food it IS a fair amount of money. Also the fact that I only eat a few slices a week would mean that I'd be paying for someone else's supply of bread. I'd rather just buy my own and freeze it so a loaf lasts a week or two. Dont judge people who cant afford to waste money on food they dont eat.
Well, as far as I can see it, you've got two choices. Either you split the cost of these sorts of things with your flat mates and don't worry about it, or you buy your own food. If people are eating food that isn't theirs, and they are doing it on more than the odd rare occasion, then you've every right to be annoyed. If, on the other hand, you settle on splitting the cost of food with your flat mates, I don't think it's ever going to work out if you're going to be bothered by the amount of bread that people are eating. I consider myself a fairly big eater, but compared to the majority of my flat mates last year, I ate very little. We shared the cost of our weekly shop, and by doing that I think we entered an unspoken agreement to be fairly relaxed when it comes to precisely who ate what. Otherwise, it's never going to work out. I think it's something you've got to accept as a potential disadvantage, but on the other hand, you get to buy in bulk, it's going to be very rare that food goes off, you don't have to cook anything like as often, and so on. IMO, the advantages greatly out weigh the disadvantages.

As for my weekly shop, the four of us in our flat each chipped in £15, and that got us plenty for dinners and lunches. Breakfasts we would buy ourselves, simply because everyone liked different things, and people like myself get through huge amounts of cereal.

Simply put, we're not going to be living with each other so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not going to judge someone for being cautious with their money if they're in financial difficulty. I've just had the unfortunate luck to meet many people who will complain about you eating more popcorn than them in the cinema, and yet not find it the slightest bit disagreeable when you're buying them a pint in the SU later on. That sort of hypocrisy really bothers me.
gemmasays
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
you can keep bread in the freezer and just use it when you need it, that wat if you all buy some seperately it's not going to go off quickly if you don't use it in time. when i more into halls i will probably buy my own things because i'm used to certain brands and i drink soy milk so it just makes it easier for me. but each to thier own, really depends on what you work out with your flat mates.
smellslikemarmite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to buy bread on special offer and freeze it. Everyone at the flat bought their own bread. The only thing we shared was milk and two out of 5 of us didn't use milk so didn't chip in. We just took turns to buy butter/marg.
Didn't share sugar or salt as we all came with our own.
This year will probably be different as there are only 3 of us.
gizabun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I buy my own bread and milk, because I eat a LOT of bread and drink only skimmed milk while the rest of my flat has semi skimmed milk.
Salt,pepper,spices and herbs we generally share because if everyone bought their own salt they probably wouldn't ever get through it. Also things where it's cheaper to buy a 1kg bag than 2 500g bags (for example, like flour) we share.
Washing up liquid/cleaning clothes/cleaning products (like flash and anti bacterial) is something we're going to take turns to buy, as last year we had 5 bottles of washing up liquid and 5 sponges on the side, it got a bit crazy.
Alice_Alice
Report 10 years ago
i'd probably buy my own.
i prefer hard butter than the softer ones and i like fine sea salt instead of table salt D:
i don't really eat bread or drink milk so i'm not bothered with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed