Do I stand a chance for the Top5? or where should I apply to? Watch

Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
LOL donald you seriously do not have a clue. Bristol have an application to place ratio of 20 in economics, and most if not all will have straight A's along with good references etc.
I admit, I don't know too much about economics courses only, apart from LSE. However, if econ reflects the university, I stand by my point.
Liliahh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Fair enough..I shall wait until my results come out..lol..too early to worry about maybe
Thanks for everyone's help
mufc4life
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liliahh)
Fair enough..I shall wait for my results come out..lol..too early to worry about maybe
Yeah definitely, that way you know the level your going to be competing at, narrows down the choices. Be realistic though, i know a few people who aimed for the stars and are now sitting on their arse with no uni place for next year looking for a job...be careful.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Warwick makes standard offers to all applicants for Economics and Mathematics:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...sions/ug/offer
"Standard Offers for Admission in September 2008

* Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) and either B 2 or AA
* Offer 2: A(M) a(FM) A b 2
* Offer 3: A(M) A A 2

2 denotes grade 2 in a Maths STEP or AEA paper.
(M) (FM) denote Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
UPPER/lower case letters denote grades in A/AS-level. In A(M) we ask for A in units C1-C4."

In terms of economics as far as I know only LSE are big on LSEs. So don't let your GCSEs worry you!

And a lot of the comments I suspect are focused on economics courses. With E+M the maths is also important. Find out which department E+M students are based in. Esp. if it is maths they will be focused on your maths skills.
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So would Bristol be secure enough as a back up?

Nope, it may not be *ahem* top five, but its certainly the most popular uni in the UK (possibly behind manc) and competition for places is HUGE.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
, I'm now doing FM,Maths,Physics and Music A-Levels which were predicted AAAB, above that I'm doing FM independently (this was indicated in my UCAS reference by my maths teacher, and she wrote a really stunning report about me =.=). I d

The course I want to do in uni is: Economics and Mathematics. or Econ alone if apply to UCL.
Firstly you will need to keep doing all 4 subjects to A2. I i.e. 3 subjects including FM is not great.

Secondly not having studied economics before is much more of an issue than the GCSE grades.

Really? that sounds really encouraging. My choices were Cambridge (I think I can get credit in the interview..),LSE,UCL,Warwick and Bristol..
Thirdly could be a bit aggressive for econ. You do have FM but don't have economics. And you don't have an essay writing subject. Hence might be an idea to include 1 or 2 lower unis.

Fourthly why the variation in subject?
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do not apply to LSE.
ObaMartins9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP, you need a bit of a reality check. You've written 2 things on here that show nievity and, to be honest, stupidity.

1. I'm sure i'll have a brilliant PS
2. I'm sure i'll do well in an interview.

Both of those statements are big headed and are completely wrong. You don't know that what you write in a PS is going to be good, and you don't know that you'll do well in a Cam Interview. No-one does. Cambridge interviews are gruelling, on the spot tests of your knowledge and thinking skills, and having had 3 this year, i know that you cannot know that you'll be good at them.

Moreover, saying that you'll only apply to top 5 unis before visiting any of them is stupid. Visit unis and decide which ones you like and then choose.

But Finally.. Don't get your hopes up too much. Without being too defeatist - i got better grades than you at AS/GCSE and had a far stronger set of Extra curric.s for my PS.

3 Rejections and going to Bath tells you how much of a lottery it is. Not to say you won't get in, but it's only a chance.
Crazster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Folderol)
UCL say AAA-AAB

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/...shs/economics/

I dont think you should worry so much. It's only LSE and Durham that really care about GCSEs (or so I've heard)
UCL are AAA, GCSE's arn't a big minus for them but PS is super important.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ObaMartins9)
OP, you need a bit of a reality check. You've written 2 things on here that show nievity and, to be honest, stupidity.

Both of those statements are big headed and are completely wrong. You don't know that what you write in a PS is going to be good, and you don't know that you'll do well in a Cam Interview. No-one does. Cambridge interviews are gruelling, on the spot tests of your knowledge and thinking skills, and having had 3 this year, i know that you cannot know that you'll be good at them.

Moreover, saying that you'll only apply to top 5 unis before visiting any of them is stupid. Visit unis and decide which ones you like and then choose.

But Finally.. Don't get your hopes up too much. Without being too defeatist - i got better grades than you at AS/GCSE and had a far stronger set of Extra curric.s for my PS.

3 Rejections and going to Bath tells you how much of a lottery it is. Not to say you won't get in, but it's only a chance.
This sounds nasty. But is fair. i.e. it is hard to do a good PS. And most students have no idea. Hence you should use the PS Helper service.

If you want background on what economics offers and average students are like at each uni then check out my thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I applied to Bristol, LSE, Warwick, York and Birmingham. My grades at gcse were 3A*4A4B and I got AAAD at AS in Maths, Physics, Politics, and Chemistry respectively. I got rejected from the first 3 and Hold an offer of AAB for York now.

Make from that what you will.
Laurama1304
Report 10 years ago
Hey ppl...just want a bit of advice, im taking a gap year and have secured a work placement in a top firm in city called Law Debenture Trust corp.
I am predicted 4 A´s in
English Lit
Economics
Psychology
Spanish
I am also going to take the maths a level during my gap year as was unable to last year due to timetable constraints.

Im trying to decide whether to apply to
Oxford: Econ and management
UCL: Economics
LSE: Economics
Kings: Management
Warwick¨econ, politics and int relations

and also having a a back up (aston)

Has anyone got any comments or advise it would be much appreciated as i do not know whether i am making right choices :confused:
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laurama1304)
Hey ppl...just want a bit of advice, im taking a gap year and have secured a work placement in a top firm in city called Law Debenture Trust corp.
I am predicted 4 A´s in
English Lit
Economics
Psychology
Spanish
I am also going to take the maths a level during my gap year as was unable to last year due to timetable constraints.

Has anyone got any comments or advise it would be much appreciated as i do not know whether i am making right choices :confused:

Go for two that you would be over the moon with like, Oxford and LSE, then two that you'd be happy with, Kings and Warwick, then a back-up, Aston. Thats what i would do with the choices you've pointed out anyway.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How are you going to write a PS for management, Economics and politics?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laurama1304)
I am predicted 4 A´s in
English Lit
Economics
Psychology
Spanish

Econ is hard enough to get offers for without knee capping yourself by applying for management and EPI as well.
rnshan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ObaMartins9)

Very sound, level headed advice
x-shivi-x
Report 9 years ago
as long as you write an amazing personal statement you'll be fine
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x-shivi-x)
as long as you write an amazing personal statement you'll be fine
welcome to TSR.
But you might want to check the date of threads before raising the dead.
Deipnosophist123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The OP appears to have got into UCL to do Economics & Statistics. Good for her!
x-shivi-x
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
welcome to TSR.
But you might want to check the date of threads before raising the dead.
lol didnt realise sorryyyyy...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads