Report 10 years ago
take them on and use bigger lecture rooms
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamin)
So what do they do if everyone meets their offer then?
Take them all on. But it never happens. The proportion of people who meet their offer every year is always roughly the same; they know how many places to give out to get the right number of students.
bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, I had one friend who obtained the right grades, but in the wrong subjects - ie, she needed a certain grade in music to do Music and Cultural Studies at Sussex, but she got it in English instead. At first she was rejected, then she rang them, and they made her wait allllll day and then rang back and said she could have a place.

I also have two friends who had conditional offers of places to do vet med at Bristol. Both, I believe, were offered AAB. One got ABB, got rejected, called up and begged, and got a place. One got ABC, got rejected, called up and begged, was rejected, reapplied this year and got a conditional offer of AA [as she already had one A from last year] so resat her exams and is still ending up there, just a year late.

So, happy endings all round

One thing I would say is that the friend who missed her Bristol grades was so embarrassed, jealous, bitter and unhappy that she basically completely fell out of our friendship group for about 6 months because she couldn't bear to spend time with people who'd actually done well and got their places. Do not be that person.
xx
Horrorshow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I take it this was Imperial? Wow, they actually spoke to you like a human being? Durham can learn from this....

Of course always phone up, you may still have an offer. Just don't expect them to be particularly sympathetic you may really have to push it. In the end though, if they say no.......
Yeah It was, but I don't think the service was partcularly good. Like you I came up against a barrage of administrative workers, and the people that mattered didn't seem the be in the office. But on the odd occasion I could get through to them the I calmly tried to explain things. In your case, with genuine mitigating circumstances et al, I'd probably also expect to speak to someone properly.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamin)
So what do they do if everyone meets their offer then?
Unlikely to happen. It's a bit like airlines selling more seats than they have because they know not all will turn up.

Well, sort of...
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Further to LaurenFah's point - I missed my lancaster offer and rang them and they said I was in without any discussion/begging at all. Just said my name and course and bingo lol. (although I exceeded my offer over 4 a levels in ucas points terms if that makes any difference and all were good subjects).
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not quite Rivers
What happens if a department (say Exeter Chemistry) goes under?
Bristol/Bath have to take on essentially the department between them and have a rise in applications
That coinsided with topup fees which increased the proportion of students doing 'traditional' degree subjects. The intake is now 1/3 higher than when I started, taking on 105-110 instead of 80-85 when the lab was build (the year before me) to accommodate upto 90-95.
Pack 'em high!
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LaurenFah)
Both Lancaster University. Although it's known for 'lenient' grade boundaries - I heard of quite the opposite come results day, so it's definitely getting a lot tougher (sorry to potential Lancastrian's scared of their grades!).
Yep someone I know got into Lancaster after phoning and begging on results day!
I spose it depends on how many grades you slip etc.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Take them all on. But it never happens. The proportion of people who meet their offer every year is always roughly the same; they know how many places to give out to get the right number of students.
Last year, Warwick had too many people meet their offer for one course. They were trying to persuade people to either change their course or take a gap year. But if the applicants didn't want to then they had to accept them

:juno:
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by summertime_)
what are you going to study?

Drama, at Bristol, the hardest uni drama degree to get on to in the country, most people if they get in they go...hence why they don't make loads of offers.
dealbreaker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's Oxbridge, no.
couture_kid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i was speaking to someone about this the other day, and to be honest it really is all about luck!

my friend was saying she missed her grades... and got lower grades than her friend.
she called up and argued her case and got accepted, the other person phone up and didn't get a place.

well to be honest, she said she didn't even argue her case... she just realised she missed the grades and wanted to call up to argue but they were like "we've already accepted you."
Chemical_Scum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
If it's Oxbridge, no.
******** i know someone who got in with AAB missing the A by 1 UMS.
dealbreaker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by solo2wolf)
******** i know someone who got in with AAB missing the A by 1 UMS.
It's rare though.
Chemical_Scum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
It's rare though.
yeah no doubt.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm most scared about getting the grades but the wrong combination - I need B in German, and two Cs, I'm more than confident about the two Cs and I reckon I could've pulled a B off in General Studies but I won't have got it in German. I've heard that my uni (Kent) is pretty lenient though, and there aren't many people taking my course, so it's fingers crossed I get the grades and fingers doubly crossed that if I don't, they still let me in!
annarchy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg is it panic time already?!?:ashy: :ashy:
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
I'm most scared about getting the grades but the wrong combination - I need B in German, and two Cs, I'm more than confident about the two Cs and I reckon I could've pulled a B off in General Studies but I won't have got it in German. I've heard that my uni (Kent) is pretty lenient though, and there aren't many people taking my course, so it's fingers crossed I get the grades and fingers doubly crossed that if I don't, they still let me in!
I'm the same. Salford want BBC with a B in Spanish but the exams are so hard! I might be a few marks off a B so who knows...it's a good thing they need language people!
callstar027
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest it's completely dependant on your university, your course and what the university thought of you in the first place. The more competitive your course and the higher ranking your university the less chance you have of blagging your place even though you missed the requirements.
However this isn't a definitive and will vary from person to person and place to place. Also it really depends upon how far you missed your grades, one grade by a couple of mark stands you in good stead. Several grade slips and most likely not, unless you have mitigating circumstances of course.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Last year, Warwick had too many people meet their offer for one course. They were trying to persuade people to either change their course or take a gap year. But if the applicants didn't want to then they had to accept them

:juno:
Last year for economics both UCL and Warwick had 40% too many students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads