A-level french? Watch

Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my class, 1 person got an A (moi) 2 people got Bs 2 got Ds and 9 got Us. And most of them got A*s/As at GCSE. I really think that GCSE is a joke, no way does it prepare people for A2.
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to say I'm another one of those who's always surprised when people say they find it really hard or a big step up. I really didn't find this and didn't struggle at all to get an A. I think that's coz I had a good grounding in grammar and enjoyed the literature. I guess I'm not typical coz I'm now studying French (and Spanish) at Oxford but it really was the least work out of my A-levels. Get your head round the grammar (especially the main points e.g. subjunctive, tenses) and practise lots of writing and you should be fine. Oh also, build up a book of vocab you come across - you'd be surprised how many random words you'll remember the meaning of if you've seen them just once before and bothered to write them down.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd agreee that GCSE isn't anything like A-level. The number of people who go to me "You do French? Yeah, I'm fluent. A at GCSE!" drives me mad.

Although, with regards to grammar, I wouldn't say GCSE was that much of a step up. It's more the vocabulary and confidence you gain, as well as obviously the knowledge about France and the French.
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
Blimey. I think in my class of 14, five people got A*s and two of us got As and the rest Bs. I didn't realise people dropped that far, unless theywere really unlucky?
Nooope. Do you do OCR?

In my class of 11, there was one A at AS (me), 1 C (somebody who got an A at GCSE), a D (somebody who also got an A at GCSE) and the rest were all Us apart from that one person who got an A* at GCSE and came out with an E at AS. They weren't bad at the language either, they just couldn't do the exams
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on WJEC. So we don't do literature, which I gather is something a lot of people struggle with. Maybe that makes the difference, but I'm still surprised.

Fillette, I have to confess, I always thought you were French anyway.
Frenchie16
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I think that you shouldn't drop French just because of this teacher. It would seem a shame, especially considering that you got an A* in your coursework. Maybe if would be of assurance to check as to who would be teaching you for AS level; at my school, only certain teachers will teach A-level (those who are better!) Saying that, if you really don't think you like French, don't do it. Maybe you should try to go on a French exchange or go on a trip to France. This would be a real insight of speaking French outside of the classroom.

I remember being in a similar position to you. In year 9 I was meant to have the same teacher for French and German but she was sick for the whole year and we had a succession of awful teachers. Luckily one of the better supply teachers saw something in me. The French exchange completely changed me. I can't imagine not doing French and German.

Good luck with your decision!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise