as a linguist, do you...? Watch

Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All the time, lol. I'm French and I switch any words or sentence into English all the time. I mix words when I speak to French people, talking Frenglish and they get nothing haha. I also do it (but less) with Italian and bits of Russian, lol, but mainly with English, it's quite atrocious, haha, I'm like the weirdo talking in English...
daryush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
translate randomly from english to another language in your head? say, a script when you're watching a film in english?
Not too often

when alone, realise your mind is thinking about how you would talk to other people in foreign languages?
Yep

talk to yourself in other languages (by accident)?
Yes

read things in a foreign language and think about how to say it in another?
Sometimes, if I read things in Urdu I'll put it in Persian and vv

make notes using foreign words because they sometimes come to mind quicker?
All the time.

Usually its mixing English, Urdu, Persian, and my conlang but I occasionally throw some French in there too.
gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Emma27)
translate randomly from english to another language in your head? say, a script when you're watching a film in english?

when alone, realise your mind is thinking about how you would talk to other people in foreign languages?

talk to yourself in other languages (by accident)?

read things in a foreign language and think about how to say it in another?

make notes using foreign words because they sometimes come to mind quicker?

...or anything else strange?

weird, i know. i am curious. :p:
no
yes
yes (I often say しまった if I drop something in the house - equivalent to 'damn it'
no
no

Obviously is this for only Asian language students, but If I can't think of a kanji, I'll suddenly stop what I'm doing and air write the kanji out, either on a wall, a surface or a window.
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do random translations if I'm having a conversation or watching a film but I don't think in Spanish all the time because it's really hard. I wish I could think in Spanish though or dream in it, I don't remember any dreams though so I don't think I ever will.
Emma27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Howells)
'etes' is the vous conjugation of etre.
'es' is the 'tu' conjugation

And in answer to the actual thread, yes I do it quite often and in German more than French because I find it easier.
did you know that when you say 'je NE pense PAS que...' this is followed by the subjunctive?

ie. je pense que tu es seule.
je ne pense pas que tu SOIS (SUBJUNCTIVE of 'es') seule

just a note

EDIT: didn't read full thread when i posted this. sorry for repeating what about 5 people have said.
Emma27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leonardo85)
Last night I had a dream in Italian and when I saw my auntie I spoke to her in Spanish, then I was in a Chinese shop looking for some herbs for her, and I spoke to the lady in Chinese! it's the first time I actully realize in which language I dream!
:eek:
i just read your sig...i've found someone who studies 4 langs! woohoo! i do three now, fr/sp/it, wanted to take up german or arabic, realised i wouldn't have time. i haven't had a dream in a foreign language yet, but i have had an argument with a spanish friend. sounds really sad but it was cool to be able to get my point across angrily in spanish :p:
Leonardo85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:eek:
i just read your sig...i've found someone who studies 4 langs! woohoo! i do three now, fr/sp/it, wanted to take up german or arabic, realised i wouldn't have time. i haven't had a dream in a foreign language yet, but i have had an argument with a spanish friend. sounds really sad but it was cool to be able to get my point across angrily in spanish :p:
haha good thing you can see the positive point in having had an argument in another language!

I used to study 4 languages, well actually 5 (cos I took chinese when I was doing my A lavels) but now I stopped everything and doing chinese(and waiting to start japanese in september!!! )

and yeah, it was the first time ever I actually realized in which language I dream! I actually liked it, because while I was dreaming I started thinking how to write a chinese word (植物)which means plant, because I wanted to buy a plant in a chinese shop, and I woke up still thinking about that word!!! odd...:p:
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fleece)
I'm struggling with English at the moment. There are so many times where I just can't find the English word so I use the German...ends up some crazy denglish mix...not good for when I actually return to England and have to speak my native tongue :p:
Haha same and I'm still here in England!
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I do all of these. When I began learning German, I used to do it, even after only a few months. Then I'd go and look up all the words I didn't know. Now, I think to myself about certain situations and what I'd say in English, and then I translate it into German adn French And when people talk to me, I translate that in my head, too.

It's weird, because I've even begun doing it in Spanish now, which is ridiculous seeing as I know about 12 words in Spanish, as I've been self-teaching for about a week now

Oh, and yes, I've often written notes, and then written a certain word or phrase in a foreign language, because it's quicker. For example, I often write 'ohne' in notes, because I can't be bothered to write 'without'. Yeah.

(Original post by Fleece)
I'm struggling with English at the moment. There are so many times where I just can't find the English word so I use the German...ends up some crazy denglish mix...not good for when I actually return to England and have to speak my native tongue :p:
Ooh I just find that really exciting! I can't wait to do a year abroad!
ciaranfleck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had my first dream in German this year at uni... freaked me out..

i try to think in german quite a bit just to keep it fresh but there isn't a day that goes by where I don't try to translate something i'm such a geek about it >.<
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
All the time, lol. I'm French and I switch any words or sentence into English all the time. I mix words when I speak to French people, talking Frenglish and they get nothing haha. I also do it (but less) with Italian and bits of Russian, lol, but mainly with English, it's quite atrocious, haha, I'm like the weirdo talking in English...
Oh, you make me laugh sometimes, Anatheme :p:
Titaniyum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always talk to myself in German. :p: I was walking home a few days ago quite happily chatting away to myself auf Deutsch and didn't hear a guy on a bike coming up behind me.. I got a rather strange look, whether it was because I was talking to myself or because I was talking to myself in German.. not really sure!

Ich bin aber keiner Verrückter!
Emma27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Titaniyum)
I always talk to myself in German. :p: I was walking home a few days ago quite happily chatting away to myself auf Deutsch and didn't hear a guy on a bike coming up behind me.. I got a rather strange look, whether it was because I was talking to myself or because I was talking to myself in German.. not really sure!

that actually made me laugh out loud

i'm glad this thread has had so many responses, i did think i was going slightly nuts at one point. i remember once at school one of my friends had something to tell us which she only wanted us to hear, so we suddenly all started talking in spanish for about five minutes

it's fun being a linguist
Titaniyum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm glad this thread has had so many responses, i did think i was going slightly nuts at one point. i remember once at school one of my friends had something to tell us which she only wanted us to hear, so we suddenly all started talking in spanish for about five minutes
Haha, it's great doing that! One of my mates takes languages too and we do this all the time. :p: The only problem is people around us who can't understand find it rather irritating but that doesn't stop us! You just have to be careful that there's nobody else from your group nearby who can understand :ninja:
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah there's a certain etiquette to speaking in another language. I wouldn't like it if someone was speaking in a language that I couldn't understand but it's just so tempting! I don't know anyone else who does languages though, there wasn't even anyone else in my A-level class. Hopefully that will change at uni
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Du kannst das mit Sicherheit sagen?? :ninja:
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
Oh, you make me laugh sometimes, Anatheme :p:
I can't help it, lol, I speak Frenglish and that's all, haha, next year is gonna be funny when I'll talk to people in French when I wanted to talk in English !
Titaniyum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
Du kannst das mit Sicherheit sagen??
Natürlich. :p: Der Radfahrer würde vielleicht aber nicht zustimmen!
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Natürlich. :p: Der Radfahrer würde vielleicht aber nicht zustimmen!
Ja, nur wenn er dich verstehen koennte!
Frenchie16
Report 10 years ago
I spent the whole of year 10 and 11 Biology interpreting what the teacher said in English into French and German. I speak to myself in French all the time and sometimes even think in it. I also swear in French if I fall over or something weird happens - it's not like I think "oh I will swear in French" because it just happens instinctively.
I also sing in French and German, especially at night
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads