The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wizardtb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyway to get this stickied? I think this would be a good resource for future applicants. However, maybe there should be a section linking to "League tables" or a disclaimer since some people might associate how course quality with how high the offer is.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have added in the link to the unis that were in clearing for economics in 2007.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...73&postcount=3
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
I have added in the link to the unis that were in clearing for economics in 2007.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...73&postcount=3
I would be sceptical of that list as it contains SAC which is an agricultural college and doesn't offer Economics.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
I would be sceptical of that list as it contains SAC which is an agricultural college and doesn't offer Economics.
As I understand it it includes all economics courses (e.g. agricultural economics) and not just L100 straight economics.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As I understand it it includes all economics courses (e.g. agricultural economics) and not just L100 straight economics.
The problem is, the SAC don't offer any undergraduate economics course, and the only postgraduate economics course they offer (Ecological Economics) is actually taught at the University of Edinburgh.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
The problem is, the SAC don't offer any undergraduate economics course, and the only postgraduate economics course they offer (Ecological Economics) is actually taught at the University of Edinburgh.
If you search for Agricultural economics on UCAS it gives three universities of which SAC is one:
Harper Adams University College (H12) qualification
Agriculture (D405) 2FT/3SW Fdg FdSc
Agriculture and Land & Farm Management (DN42) 4SW Hon BSc

Scottish Agricultural College
(S01) qualification
Rural Business Management (012N) 1FT HNC
Rural Business Management (654D) 2FT HND
Rural Business Management (Agriculture) (42DN) 2FT HND
Rural Business Management (Agriculture) (NDF4) 3FT/4FT Ord/Hon BA
Rural Business Management (Animal) (ND23) 3FT/4FT Ord/Hon BA

Writtle College (W85) qualification
Agricultural Crop Production (D402)(D402) 3FT Hon BSc

But yes you might well think that Rural Business Management was not the same subject at all as economics!
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Does anyone know of any (available) data series that it would be good to include?
jabed786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is thread is great. There shoould be one for each course, it's nice to see tariff points needed for each universities grouped together and you make it easier to see which ones I'm cappable off.

I wish Manchester lowered it's Economics BSc requirements.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would still apply to Manchester if you have ABB...they only recently raised their requirements.
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Great thread. Though for E&M at Oxford, IIRC, A level maths is required. I know many colleges state it's required, and I thought the university said it was required now.

Also, would be good to see for which unis further maths is preferred. I know Oxford, Cambridge and UCL really like it, and it improves your chances massively.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drogue)
Great thread. Though for E&M at Oxford, IIRC, A level maths is required. I know many colleges state it's required, and I thought the university said it was required now.

Also, would be good to see for which unis further maths is preferred. I know Oxford, Cambridge and UCL really like it, and it improves your chances massively.
UCAS still has Oxford "only" as Mathematics preferred.
But yes for OXford there will be different conditions for each college.

And thanks for the rep.

Am interested at adding in FM but hard to get the data.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wizardtb)
The IB would be a good idea. Knowing which universities would require HL Maths as opposed to SL Maths might be important.
I have not coded the answer to that particular question but I have included the full IB text from each UCAS entry.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
The next thing I am thinking of adding in is the Scottish Qualifications.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
see the note I have added about Keele:
5) Keele no longer offers straight economics and is trying to sack half it's economics department. This may advserly affect the educational experience if you study there.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Have introduced colour:

Unis where the average actual points from all courses (i.e. not just A-levels) is less than the points represented by the typical A-level offer are now highlighted in red.
Similarly where the average is more than 60 points above the typical (i.e. + an AS level grade a) that uni is highlighted in orange. And where the average is 120 points above the typical (i.e. + an A level grade A) that uni is highlighted in green

Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Does anyone have an opinion?
Is making it multi-coloured helpful or just distracting?
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dam only like 25 unis offer straight economics
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have introduced colour:

Unis where the average actual points from all courses (i.e. not just A-levels) is less than the points represented by the typical A-level offer are now highlighted in red.
Similarly where the average is more than 60 points above the typical (i.e. + an AS level grade a) that uni is highlighted in orange. And where the average is 120 points above the typical (i.e. + an A level grade A) that uni is highlighted in green

Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Does anyone have an opinion?
Is making it multi-coloured helpful or just distracting?
I think it's really helpful actually. Great work! :gthumb:

EDIT: I just noticed you have Cardiff ABB M** 394, indicating A-Level Maths as mandatory, whereas the Cardiff website and departmental brochure state 'Economics is a numerate subject and consistent with other universities, some modules will have a quantitative element. However, we do not have any mathematical prerequisite beyond GCSE.'.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
dam only like 25 unis offer straight economics
What are you moaning about? Firstly, it's more than 25, and secondly, you already apparently have an offer from Nottingham.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
What are you moaning about? Firstly, it's more than 25, and secondly, you already apparently have an offer from Nottingham.
I thought 66 unis offered it (according to times), but I guess I was wrong :eek: I guess economics is not as popular as I first thought it was..
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I have now changed the "+AS a grade" colour from orange to blue.
and added in the purple code for unis where the average is only just above the typical.

The complete colour coding is now:
average<typical red
average<typical+30 purple (30 points being half an AS-level a grade)
average>typical+60 blue (60 points being an AS-level a grade)
average>typical+120 green (120 points being an A-level A grade)
otherwise black
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads