Pan's Labyrinth Watch

welshprincess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My bf bought this on dvd cos he'd heard it was good. He said i had to watch it with him (i'm sure it was his revenge for me making him watch the notebook!) I usually hate subtitled films and this type of film doesnt usually appeal to me but i actually really enjoyed it! x
SebKom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An epic film, one of my favourites!

UPDATE:

(Original post by x-x-xamyx-x-x)
...I'm not sure if the whole children's thing worked too well with the goryness in my opinion but neverthe less itt was very surreal and different film and I'm glad I watched it...
In my opinion del Toro tried to use it to emphasize the cruelty of the Spanish war.
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Excellent, excellent film.
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Went to see it at the cinema.. 3 times! Its an amazing film..
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What I saw of it was excellent. Must borrow it off someone.
__Louise__
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really enjoyed this film. Didn't think I was going to because of the sub-titles and the gory bits but I was proven wrong.

My friend got really creeped out by the monster thing with the eyes in it's hands. Heehee.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Brilliant film.

And to think, people at my school mock it because it's foreign and has "weird creatures" in it. When some of them found out they would have to watch it in media, you could see them cowering with fear.
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got really frustrated when this came out, because it wasn't showing anywhere that was within reach of me!

Finally got around to seeing it on DVD, and loved every minute of it, but was still a bit gutted that I never got to see it in the cinema
rummang
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What I'm typing may ruin the film for you, so only click if you've seen it or don't mind

Spoiler:
Show
I noticed a lot of people talked about 'symbolism' in this movie. The only thing I really picked up on was the religious view on things towards the end when Ofelia refuses to spill the blood of another for her to enter the 'magical land'. And then she dies which grants her access to the 'magical land', which I see as 'heaven'. Basically saying she did a really good deed and the gates to heaven opened for her.

The other symbols I picked up on were the ones based around fascism (the captains constant focus on power and glory for the nation) and the holocaust (the shoes shown in the eye-hand monsters lair)

Anyone have any comments about this? (The religious bit and the Nazi symbols)
Gourdman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has anyone listened to the directors commentary? del Toro seems to have a weird obsession with fallopian tubes. The tree, the faun's horns, the shape of the blood stain etc. The tunnel to the pale mans room is apparantly "very uterine" Therse also a load of symbolism thats impossible for the normal watcher to get. Like how the Pale Man's room is exactly the same as the Captain's dining room. Fireplace is the same place, same shape, monster sitting at the head of the table etc.

Theres also a fairly long bit of del Toro swearing about the Doctor, who looked straight at the camera at the end of a really hard to shoot scene.
campbell87
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I adore this film! It has so much meaning and symbolism, definitly needs to be re-watched a few times to full understand and maybe a google search lol! I completly forgot I was watching subtitles I was so into it!
Ickle2
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
One of the scenes were a bit gory for me but its a brillaint film the spanish gives it a better effect besides if u like movies u have to learn to watch soem in subtitles otherwise urll spoil the effect
chaywa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Needs moar emphasis on the fantasy rather than the somewhat boring Spanish Civil War 'human' bits...

Great film nonetheless...
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chaywa)
Needs moar emphasis on the fantasy rather than the somewhat boring Spanish Civil War 'human' bits...

Great film nonetheless...
^o)

No, no it doesn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads