Us patient dies while others walk on.... Watch

Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plus, apparently she'd been admitted a few days early, and had been waiting there for 24hrs?????
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
If you saw a tramp lying down in a bus shelter would you check for his pulse?
How's that the same?

I'd just call an ambulance so someone could check em out.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
And keep in mind who the "they" is. Most of the people there were other mentally ill patients. I believe one security guard saw this and did nothing, for which he got fired.
Did the secutiy guard see a woman lying on the floor or her stroke?
Blue Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Em_maK)
Plus, apparently she'd been admitted a few days early, and had been waiting there for 24hrs?????
That's really unfair. That's another way in which I think some people are cheated out of life (a thread a started a couple of days ago). I don't think healthcare should depends on how much you earn. It's what everyone should be entitled to. It's highly unfair and injust.
Desperate Prayer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they were in a strange position that someone would typically sleep in, absolutely.

Very sad news - although less an indication of society, and more on a select few. :mad:
Em_maK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sorry my post meant to say she was admitted a few days earlier, then released, then waited that long and ultimately died alone and uncared for
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Did the secutiy guard see a woman lying on the floor or her stroke?
Lying on the floor. He should have still called someone.
Em_maK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also in the video the guard stands and stares for a bit, goes away, rolls back on his chair to have another look....and does nothing until its too late and 2 nurses come to check on the woman. then he is only needed to lift her onto the stretcher.

Its disgusting, despicable behaviour.
King4eva
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow thats sad wtf were they doing
plagaan
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Yup absolutely true. You should watch the film Sicko, it's all about the US Healthcare system, it's pretty horrible but very insightful. I hope we don't get rid of the NHS.
Seen it. Incredibly flattering. I've never heard so many compliments about Britain before. It was kind of strange actually to hear all that!

As for this incident, I think maybe it is slightly blown out of proportion. As has been said, it was a hospital with a bad record, lots of people got fired, and it was a hospital for the mentally ill. Mentally ill people do weird stuff, obviously...

Still, its the job of hospital staff to check.
Edvics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Yup absolutely true. You should watch the film Sicko, it's all about the US Healthcare system, it's pretty horrible but very insightful. I hope we don't get rid of the NHS.
All health care industries have their own problems. My friends mom lives in England and a few months after she retired they found that she needed a new mitral valve and had two occluded arteries (90% and 80%). Since she no longer had her private insurance, she had to wait a year to get the surgery done, and that's not a surgery that you can really just sit back and wait around for. Luckily enough nothing happened and she was able to get the surgery a year later, but anyone with health insurance in the US would have had that taken care of within 24 hours or less.

Michael Moore had an agenda in that movie, like he has in all of his movies. Does he bring some things to light - sure. Does he exaggerate on a lot - definitely. Take it with a grain of salt. Watch this rebuttal by John Stossel, more importantly watch Michael Moores reactions and responses in the 4th part ... guy is using logical fallacies like ad hominem when he cant explain his views.

John Stossel - Sick in America - Part 1 (of 6)
Kane_Is_Able
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by plagaan)
If I'm reading correctly, it took an hour for anyone to notice. It's not as though they noticed and then ignored it.

Anyway, slightly unrelated, I've heard that in some US states if you say have a heart attack and collapse on the street, if an ambulance sees you they'll get out and check if you have ID/credit cards/other evidence that you can afford treatment on you before picking you up. If you don't have it, they'll leave you there.
:rolleyes:
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I don't think words can describe just how idiotic those people who are meant to be in a position of trust within the hospital and others who are there for the security of those in the building managed to ignore a situation that so obviously called for someone's attention. Unfortunately, though, all we can do from across the pond is to express how saddened it makes us feel which makes no difference. Although I'm guessing the lawsuit over there must've made quite a big deal out of the inexcusable negligence, which is only a good thing.
Lady Leviathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, the title of this was confusing. Anyways...

(Original post by Collingwood)
It being America is nothing to do with it. In the US there is a legal obligation on hospitals to treat people who are critically ill, regardless of payment situation. This sort of thing happens in Britain as well, where it is also rare.
Aye. I think people use "It's America" as an attempt to explain a lot of things.

As you stated, US hospitals are legally obligated to treat anybody that seriously ill, even if they cannot pay it. The local hospital in my town donated $200,000 of services to care for an illegal immigrant who hadn't been in the country more than 90 days -- because he had a particularly bad mutation of both meningitis and tuberculosis. In the end, it becomes more of a humanitarian than a money issue. Of course that can spark the whole immigration debate, but hospitals here will clearly aid those who are in dire need of treatment. Even if one isn't in dire need of treatment, some hospitals donate their services for free to aid patients.

I've heard about people getting completely screwed over on the NHS. One paticular instance -- an elderly man in a hospital, not on private healthcare, being mistreated. The people in the next room had private insurance and were treated with the utmost care. Neglect happens everywhere. I'm not going to go and say "Ah, the NHS" to explain it -- just saying that neglect and abuse happen everywhere, regardless of location.

Nursing homes and mental hospitals seem to be the places where these cases of neglect happen the most. "In America" just doesn't cut it as an excuse, as neglect happens everywhere. So does maltreatment. It was only a few months ago that I read about a nursing home worker who voluntarily let his patients die. I've heard about this sort of thing happening in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, where ever.

I think it's safe to say that this is a rare occurrence. It's dreadful that this happened, but it's not typical of the American health care system. Anybody in dire need of treatment will not be turned away from a hospital. Sure, having no insurance or poor insurance will lead to financial troubles down the road, but you aren't asked to pay up front and you aren't forced to show proof that you can pay anything.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
The US's health care system is generally as crappy as the NHS.
:toofunny:

Thinking about it, the Afhganistani and Sudanese health care systems are probably as 'crappy' as the NHS as well. Idiot.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lady Leviathan)
just saying that neglect and abuse happen everywhere, regardless of location.
Exactly.

In the same way, gun-related deaths occur in the UK and in the US. It happens everywhere, regardless of location. Sure, in the UK the figure is about 50 gun-related deaths and in the US it's about 12,000 gun-related deaths, but who cares about the exact figures, right? Pfft.
Lady Leviathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sarcasm. Cool.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm in accident and emergency at this very moment on a nightshift, and on my break i've played the video to a few doctors and nurses and their jaws dropped.
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
Its almost as bad as showing saddam hussain's hanging on tv.. I mean.. I know he was an awful man and caused a lot of deaths but ffs, let the man die without a worldwide audience!!
james99
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The hospital has now agreed to check patients in the waiting room every 15 minutes, and will attempt to shorten the average waiting time to around 10 hours in future.
Ten hours? Ten hours!? And people thought waiting times were bad in this country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads