Change, coppers etc Watch

ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddball)
Well, perhaps. It's up to the OP.
If the OP is that concerned about saving money, they would be better off saving the time, effort and petrol sorting and banking the coins. Instead they could simply work an extra couple of hours at work and pour the coin into a machine on the monthly trip to the supermarket. Cost benefit analysis.

Really, it isn't worth the penny pinching when you really look at it closely. It is comparable to the people who will drive and drive and drive until they find somewhere that sells cheaper petrol, but in the process they're actually using petrol, time, effort, etc, and in the process lose the benefit from any money they'd saved going to a cheaper station.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
If the OP is that concerned about saving money, they would be better off saving the time, effort and petrol sorting and banking the coins. Instead they could simply work an extra couple of hours at work and pour the coin into a machine on the monthly trip to the supermarket. Cost benefit analysis.

Really, it isn't worth the penny pinching when you really look at it closely. It is comparable to the people who will drive and drive and drive until they find somewhere that sells cheaper petrol, but in the process they're actually using petrol, time, effort, etc, and in the process lose the benefit from any money they'd saved going to a cheaper station.
I suppose this argument depends on how much the OP really has. If I had a suitcase full of coppers, I'd just shove it in the machine, probably. If I had a fairly large jar, I'd probably count them.
the_fredster_001
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
The Daily Mail did an article, the copper is worth something like 30% more than the actual value of the coins. There are a few problems, you need to separate the newer coins with newer alloys that are very low in copper (and unprofitable), you have to find a place that will smelt the copper legally (i think the DM used a place in france), you have to pay for and transport the coins (which are extremely heavy if you're looking at a decent amount of money), etc. When you factor in a cheap ferry crossing and all of the work involved, it isn't really worth it unless you're dealing with sums in the 100s region.

lol you've obviously read into this a bit more than me....
Is it illegal as you are defacing a picture of the queen, or because the coin belongs to the queen?
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The coin is the property of the Treasury, so in a way it is vandalism/theft if you smelt it down.

I can't remember the specifics because it was a while ago, but i do remember that getting the coins smelted in France was somehow legal? Well they 'assured' the smelter that it was legal somehow?

It also depends on the scale of the crime. If you deface one coin, the Treasury is probably not going to notice and/or turn a blind eye. But if large quantities of coin are disappearing from circulation, they will take and interest and the stakes will be higher if you are caught and taken to court.
Lupie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've also been collecting coppers and such and was planning on taking them to the bank at some point, where do you get those little money bags from to put them in? I remember my brother saying they won't accept them unless they're in those bags!
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a small glass jar thingie [not a jam size one, its a decorative one] which is about the size of a large mug...

and so far I have around what my ticker says in change, tho I haven't counted/updated in awhile

always take to the bank unless you only want to change a small amount.
natalie s
Report 10 years ago
I've heard that HSBC have machines like coinstar, but they don't charge when used. Instead the money goes straight into your account. Handy if you bank with them.
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_fredster_001)
apparently you get the most for your money melting copper coins down and selling it by the kilogram. However thats illegal....
Before, yes. Nowadays not so much, most of the coins are steel coated to look copper.
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2nd2god)
Lol so got to get my own smelting machine then I will clean up.
Surley you can't get punished that badly for destroying coins.
actually, its an act of treason.
anyarian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
count it out into bags and take it to the bank. i know that Natwest accept up to a certain amount per day, and they'll give you lots of coin bags. i think you have to pay the money into an account there, though, but still worth it, as they don't take any of the money!
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I went to a Coinstar Machine last week. I thought my local HSBC had one of the free coinstar style machines but it turns out they don't in my branch even though its quite a large one.

So used the one in Morrisons near me and wanted to change it into cash so I put them all in and then once it counted them all it gave me a receipt which said at the bottom "Hand to any cashier" so I thought it would be best to go to the cigarette counter as its directly opposite the machine but they told me I had to go to the checkouts. So I did this a queued up and handed the vouchers over to the person on the checkout but of course they didn't know what to do so they had to call someone over which took ages and I then had loads of people tutting behind me (as if it was my fault that Morrisons don't train all their staff to know what to do with the vouchers). So if you are going to use the Coinstar Machines I would go when the supermarket is less busy, although it could just be Morrisons as they are useless in general.

I had a full pringles tube of 1, 2, 10 and 20p's and got £38.00 from it. I think coinstar charged me something like £3 to do it which wasn't too bad.
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
imagine putting a full tube of Pringles into the Coinstar x)
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd rather use a Coinstar than phaff about counting it all ,tbh.
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps you people could just, I don't know, spend your coppers instead of building up huge reserves which you then don't know what to deal with?
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
7% is hardly 'most'...
I am deeply sorry for making such an obvious exaggeration.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
count then bank it
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flipshot)
I went to a Coinstar Machine last week. I thought my local HSBC had one of the free coinstar style machines but it turns out they don't in my branch even though its quite a large one.

So used the one in Morrisons near me and wanted to change it into cash so I put them all in and then once it counted them all it gave me a receipt which said at the bottom "Hand to any cashier" so I thought it would be best to go to the cigarette counter as its directly opposite the machine but they told me I had to go to the checkouts. So I did this a queued up and handed the vouchers over to the person on the checkout but of course they didn't know what to do so they had to call someone over which took ages and I then had loads of people tutting behind me (as if it was my fault that Morrisons don't train all their staff to know what to do with the vouchers). So if you are going to use the Coinstar Machines I would go when the supermarket is less busy, although it could just be Morrisons as they are useless in general.

I had a full pringles tube of 1, 2, 10 and 20p's and got £38.00 from it. I think coinstar charged me something like £3 to do it which wasn't too bad.
To defend Morrisons, I am a checkout assistant and have been fully trained in coinstar coupons. :P
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where do you get those little bags from?
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
where do you get those little bags from?
You can get them from the bank
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by secretmessages)
You can get them from the bank
Simple as that? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads