how badly do you take losing? Watch

maleficent
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by $am0th)
I'm the chuck the monopoly board across the table when he lands in jail type
Better than throwing marble chess-pieces. Positive thinking.
When we lost a rowing regatta I was so occupied with my "Don't yell at them"-thoughts that I nearly knocked someone out with my oar, which I was somewhat carelessly carrying. It was a person of the winning team. Maybe it wasn't a accident after all? :p:
Apart from that I understand the point being made about academic achievements - I would rather resit than getting a bad grade.
The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by McLovin')
If I loose after trying really hard, I literally cannot control my anger. This ranges from playing on my ps3 to athletics championships.
:ditto:
truthseeker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by evil groove)
So what will you do if you don't get AAA?
For my last major exam, I missed an A1 for my mandarin paper(I think the officials did something to the grading scheme:mad: ) and got an A2 instead, equivalent to A in GCSE. It really pains me since I put in so much effort. Luckily my teacher was by my side at the moment. She sort of hugged me. She even talked me out of letting-it-go and asked to me request for a remark saying that I truly deserve an A1. The grade didn't change though . It is really because of my teacher that I now accepts losing much more gracefully.
truthseeker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fredscarecrow)
Cry.
Hate myself for not working hard enough.
Live with the knowledge that I failed to achieve what I should have done.
..I wouldn't re-take if that's what you're asking, but I'll be feeling bitterness about it for a long time

I think maybe it's the mentality my school pushes into us, because all of my friends are the same.
I can relate but you should really learn how to let go. Feeling bitter really sucks and to think that the next chance to redeem yourself isn't anywhere near or its never going to be the same test makes it even worse .
lost_puppy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm competitive in terms of games/sports etc. especially if I think I made a waste of effort...that's the real deal clincher. I can be about grades, but not to the extent of some here. B is a win, A is amazing and rarely attained (for me anyway )
xSplashx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really believe the whole 'its the taking part that counts.' If I take part I want to win. If I lose I will focus my frustration into trying even harder to win. The only time I've ever given up is playing badminton against my dad. I've settled for 2nd place because of him.
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IMO, if you try your best and it's not good enough, it's more of a reason to put more time and effort into it. the football team i play for (in goal!) came bottom of the league, winning two games and losing the other 18, and yet our goal difference was only -24. goes to show, the margin between winning and losing is so miniscule.
that said, if there is a game that i SHOULD win, in an individual sense, and i fail to do so, i do get frustrated and wonder why it all went wrong.

[still undefeated at GH3 online ^^]
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate losing, I turn off the console and generally won't play again for a good few hours until I've calmed down. Getting better though, I used to throw the controllers and totally lose it.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where exams are concerned if I don't pass after having done a tonne of work and having sleepless nights over an exam, I get really upset with myself because despite the "as long as you tried your hardest" thing, if your hardest isn't good enough then what the hell are you meant to do to get anywhere? Plus most of the time I then think of things I could have done to succeed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sometimes I'm a horrible loser, it all depends upon who I'm up against and at what.
tetters
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if i know im crap i couldnt care too much but crikey you should see me at tennis, if i lose im generally furious because the people i play with are worse than me; i just cant keep my temper under control and thus lose by getting angry and making lots of errors, heck i'll even be 2 sets up and will still be fuming because i lost a point i should have won.

Personally i like to think of it as passion rather than being a bad loser :P:
lincs_b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to not try so it wasn't important but as I've grown up I have gotten used to it. I suppose when you always lose it wouldn't be good to always get angry lol.
sakura_starfall
Report 10 years ago
Am i the only one who is not really competitive at all? If i'm playing a game against someone, and i lose i really don't mind at all, as long as i played well. Sometimes, if i'm playing against really competitive people and i'm doing well i might let them win because i don't want them to be angry/annoyed if they lose lol. The only time really that i am competitive is if it's a team effort, then i want to win for my team's sake.
With regards to "losing" in exams etc.... i am just happy if i've done my best. if i do badly and i know i didn't try i'll be annoyed but as long as i revised and worked hard for it i'm happy.
Wyl
Report 10 years ago
This came up yesterday when I went out for a meal with a few friends. They pretty much agreed that I was the most competitive and at times a bad loser but a good winner (don't rub it in there faces). My family is super competitive which is where I think it comes from.
thyssen1207
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do take losing really badly. I dwell a lot on them as well.

That being said, I learn a hell of a lot from my mistakes, and I tend to do much much better afterwards.
DominF
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't remember the last time I cared enough to get angry about losing. I'm sure that'll change come a level results day. :P
lolimemma
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm too competitive for my own good and HATE losing! This doesn't extend to exam grades at the moment although I'm sure it will when my uni grades actually count towards something! If I know I've tried really hard and I still fail it'll really piss me off and make me angry for ages. I even hate losing at stupid little things like msn games
mart1203
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha I get so angry at myself if I don't do good at whetever i'm doing... be it golf, weights, tennis, whatever... I'm really competitive. However I do control my anger way better now =) mind you I haven't lost in a while.
Wasps26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whats the point in life if you don't win?!

Seriously, I don't see the point of not wanting to win, everytime, all the time....it just doesn't make sense, why go through life not being the best that you can be?

In terms of anger, I can get pretty bad, but I usually keep it to myself, it was bad to begin with when I was young but as I got older and more mature I was albe to channel that anger and use it to encourage me to see what went wrong, fix it and go out there and win again! Much better than just beating yourself up again, because if you think about it, beating yourself up would be the stupid loser thing to do, so by making yourself better you're winning again! Me=Natural Winner!
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm probably one of the worst losers in the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.78%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (606)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise