6A*AT GCSE - Fact or Myth Watch

username138327
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally, a myth. I got 1 A* and am doing maths and econ. next year, not the same thing but I wouldn't listen to the BS saying you have to have 1,000 A*'s to get in. Write a good PS, do good things and you've got a decent chance.
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I didn't say it was for every course, just a handful (so a minority). I got onto philosophy with only 3. The history department is the only department who are actually upfront about it and ask for a high number. The other department that may have this policy is English. Law probably don't as they have the LNAT.
LSE doesn't use the LNAT.

thank GOD.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)
LSE doesn't use the LNAT.

thank GOD.
Yep, I was referring to Durham, not LSE.

As LSE don't use the LNAT that may mean they pay a lot of attention to GCSEs in law also. However I'm in no way qualified to say such a thing. I'm just guessing.

In conclusion I would be suprised if LSE did have a 6 A* rule every year, even just for their economics courses. If they did one would hope that they would mention it in their entrance requirements. That they don't suggests that, whilst they may place on emphasis on GCSEs, there's no straight A*s cut off point each year. I would think it would vary slightly according to certain variables.

That's just my thinking, anyway.
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, I was referring to Durham, not LSE.

As LSE don't use the LNAT that may mean they pay a lot of attention to GCSEs in law also. However I'm in no way qualified to say such a thing. I'm just guessing.

In conclusion I would be suprised if LSE did have a 6 A* rule every year, even just for their economics courses. If they did one would hope that they would mention it in their entrance requirements. That they don't suggests that, whilst they may place on emphasis on GCSEs, there's no straight A*s cut off point each year. I would think it would vary slightly according to certain variables.

That's just my thinking, anyway.
My apologies

I dont know about them paying a lot of attention to GCSES for law, I got 1.5A*s.. Just lucky I guess.

I think it is a lot of guesswork in general. The amount of A*s at GCSE could just suggest the general quality of an applicant which is needed to get into LSE anyway, but to exclude anyone with less than 6-8A*s would be crazy because you dont need them to be a good candidate, hence why it isnt in their admissions criteria! LSE will see a good candidate no matter what they get for their GCSES.
unikq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes,it does matter. i know people with straight A's at A level, but only 3A*s, and was mercilessly rejected. whereas, some people get like ABB at AS, and still get places, because they have 5A*s
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
yes,it does matter. i know people with straight A's at A level, but only 3A*s, and was mercilessly rejected. whereas, some people get like ABB at AS, and still get places, because they have 5A*s
you cant base an entire application on grades though!

extra curriculars, personal statement, reference also count!
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)
you cant base an entire application on grades though!

extra curriculars, personal statement, reference also count!
Absolutely. Me of all people should know that! i got ABBCE for AS:p: :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:
HAHAHAHAHA
imperial it is!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
With respect, your logic is flawed. Those people may have been rejected for their GCSE grades, they may not have been. Plenty of other things come into play from an admissions tutor's point of view; passion for the subject (reflected in the PS) and references being just two. How do you know it wasn't those things that let them down?
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With respect, your logic is flawed. Those people may have been rejected for their GCSE grades, they may not have been. Plenty of other things come into play from an admissions tutor's point of view; passion for the subject (reflected in the PS) and references being just two. How do you know it wasn't those things that let them down?
i don't. it's a speculation from a trend.
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
There are very very few courses at LSE where ABB are the entry requirements let alone the A-level grades needed.

Tbh the A* thing is a complete myth. It would be fair to estimate that most of the candidates who apply to LSE are very talented students. Therefore most of the students are going to have very good GCSE grades. Just because most of the people who go there have 6A*'s or whatever doesn't mean you need to have that many, it just says that people who get 4 A's at level tend to get a lot of A*'s at GCSE. There are quite a few people who don't get A*'s at GCSE for whatever reason, don't let the fact you don't have a 1,000 A*'s put you off.

I was told by my teachers that I had no chance of getting in LSE with 1 A*, I was also told by people on here as well, luckily I didn't listen to any of them and now I've got an offer. If you think you're good enough, if you think you can get the grades at A level, go for it, but you WILL need a good PS. A level results and the PS will ALWAYS be ranked above what you get at GCSE (unless you have very special circumstances) .
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fellas)
I was told by my teachers that I had no chance of getting in LSE with 1 A*, I was also told by people on here as well, luckily I didn't listen to any of them and now I've got an offer. If you think you're good enough, if you think you can get the grades at A level, go for it, but you WILL need a good PS. A level results and the PS will ALWAYS be ranked above what you get at GCSE (unless you have very special circumstances) .
Hi Five! we're in the same boat. my PS also kicked ass, despite me being told that i had no chance for ANY of my choices. got all of em in the end :cool:
yeh, i suppose, the way you advertise yourself on your PS is so vital and is considered above many things
jamie_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to admit...I really hope it's a load of bs...after all, couldnt the same person who got say 3A*s in english and maths, but picked other tough options, have picked weaker options to maximise A* chances? I would have hoped that the 5 A*s i got in maths, englishes and sciences, would be worth more than if I got A*s in the other 6 subjects?
Jxhn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's *******s. The point has been made here already. There is simply a high correlation of the BEST students and the students with 6A*s plus. If you went around the country and looked for the top students at A level it stands to reason they would also be amongst the top students at GCSE level too.

So if you are an impressive candidate and know your economics, it also stands to reason with a good reference (talking about maybe why your GCSE's aren't representative of your best) personal statement etc, you could easily get in.
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
So, are you saying that they place more emphasis on your GCSE's rather than your A Levels?
XIII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This has been done so many times... the official line from LSE seems to be that if you've got less than 7/8 A*s and don't have special circumstances then they RECCOMEND you don't apply as its unlikely you'll get in and you stand better chances at other unis... but by no means do they rule you out if you have less than 6

(By the way, i'm purely referring to economics (L101) in this post - i don't know what the situation is exactly for other courses)
made_of_fail
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
It may be true, but it's abhorrently pathetic. It in no way sifts the better candidates; only those who have 6 A*s at GCSE, and I presume that the correlation isn't that significant.
it's a perfectly reasonable method of selection when the competition is as intense as it is for L101 (and the GCSE rule only applies rigidly for this course afaik). they wouldn't use it if there wasn't decent correlation between gcse results and degree performance. of course the system will miss some outstanding candidates, but so does every method of selection through the UCAS system.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by made_of_fail)
it's a perfectly reasonable method of selection when the competition is as intense as it is for L101 (and the GCSE rule only applies rigidly for this course afaik). they wouldn't use it if there wasn't decent correlation between gcse results and degree performance. of course the system will miss some outstanding candidates, but so does every method of selection through the UCAS system.
Ditto.

In fact, in my school in the year above, this guy got rejected for straight economics at LSE. He rang up, and they said "you didn't have enough A*s for GCSE". And he was a normal A-level applicant, with AAAa predicted. I asked him how many A*s he had, and he said 4.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
That is a total load of bull ****. :cool:
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rapha)
So, are you saying that they place more emphasis on your GCSE's rather than your A Levels?
looks like it.
but as someone else mentioned, it might just so happen that the people with limited A*'s screwed up somewhere else on their apps.
anway, i ****ed up my GCSE's as well (and my alevels too! ), but still got all my offers at alright unis - i did VERY similar subject choices to yours, (Dbl maths, physics, modern lang german, chem), which i think helped enormously. basically you'll be fine.
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lothar Warlock)
That is a total load of bull ****. :cool:
just what i was told mate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise