When did you decide you wanted to be a doctor and why? Watch

graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
There are lots of overweight people at medical school. Why?
Exam stress = comfort food = piling on pounds

End of exams = comfort beer = piling on pounds

Initial depressing experience on wards = comfort food = piling on pounds

hmm...other answers on a postcard
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Talk about quoting outta context
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, sorry about that one
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the reason I want to become a doctor is because I'm a super geek, by that I mean I love learning (I warned you! ). I also really want to learn about the human body and how it works - it's pretty amazing IMO. Also, I like the fact that you can help people - from saving lives to simply cheering someone up by noticing them...
clank
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I decided a year after i graduated whilst i was travelling... which is now just over a year ago!
i had a vague i didnt have a clue what i wanted to do after i graduated and was getting really stressed out about what it was actually going to do with my life! i couldnt go on wondering aimlessly it was driving me mad! everyone else i graduated with seemed to have a plan whereas i still felt completely in the dark.
I'd considered Medicine at 16/17 and decided it wasnt for me, and did a multi diciplined science degree instead... it was absolutely the right decision, i has an amazing time and loved my course. medicine wasnt right for me then... but whilst i was travelling it really gave me time to sit back and think about exactly what is was i wanted to do, i wanted to study and work in an academic atmosphere so toyed with the idea of a phd, but after volunteering i also wanted to do something to benefit society in a hand on way (so the city was definitely out!) i felt doing medicine at 23 would take a massive chuck of time out of my life, but we met so many 30somethings around the world that were just so miserable in their jobs (hence the travelling!) i decided to do what i thought i would find the most enjoyable and to hell with the extra years studying!
o_d
Report 10 years ago
work experiance in a hospital. T'was awesome
Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Initially.. i thought well respected job, good money from about 5 years old..
Then.. as i grew up and looked more into it, i found Medicine meaningful and really uniquely interesting..
Hmm.. Iv been trying to answer this question for my personal statement right now..
arsenal111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think many people enter in medicine purely for the money, I doubt most prospective doctors understand the responsibility that being a doctor involves.
Ever noticed how you may get a student doctor at the hospital who is unable to strike up a decent conversation or even show a bit of empathy. All they can do is 'umm' and 'arrrr' and nod as if they are even listening to a thing you are saying. Please Please Please to all people who want to be a doctor, think about what the job actually involves before entering into it.
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People who've suffered from a medical condition .. now that gives a reason to embrace this career.
aaloo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by clank)
i felt doing medicine at 23 would take a massive chuck of time out of my life, but we met so many 30somethings around the world that were just so miserable in their jobs (hence the travelling!) i decided to do what i thought i would find the most enjoyable and to hell with the extra years studying!
I'm planning to do that! After my English Lit degree. I'm not ready for medicine yet but I know I want to go into eventually. Are you on a 4 year graduate med course?

To the OP's q, I want to be a doctor because of; the money, I'm interested in science and the human body, I really want to be a surgeon (I'm most comfortable in states of stress and when I have too much responsibility for outcomes), the constant challenge.

(Also, because no-one listens to me when they get hurt/injured/burnt, etc. I know what I'm talking about but because I'm not qualified/I'm 18/etc, no-one takes my advice (if I'm a doctor, they have to listen, right? lol)
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gyrase)
People who've suffered from a medical condition .. now that gives a reason to embrace this career.
Oh it does!
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's an interesting one there Arsenal, about having normal human conversation. The thing is, what you don't see in front of house is the kind of restrictions on communication we're placed under by the schools. Its very difficult to have a conversation about their condition and treatment without breaking strict rules on disclosure and explanation of risks/benefits or discussing previous cases. The other, student-created problem is that you get scared of developing a non-professional relationship with people because they're only going to be around for days, you're going to be involved in decisions and discussions about patients that will be very difficult if you have any emotional value placed on them and, quite frankly, you can't cope that well with people you're being friendly with dying on a weekly basis.

I'm saying this not as an excuse, because I agree you should try and be more human and talk with patients, but this is an explanation. I'm no saint on this front, certainly done my share of foot shuffling. But then I've also got into potentially damaging relationships with patients (Never actually got myself into a problem, but I've looked back and thought I'd exposed myself unnecessarily) and I've also said things that I probably, in retrospect, shouldn't have said. Again, not done any serious damage I know of but I've put myself in a situation where I could have.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to see suffering every single ****ing day, if you can bear to see people come in as DNR, and if, after a 12 hour shift of this - you can still go home and function, then you just might make it.

Medicine is like a parasite, it tends to grow on those that are that rare breed of people who can see themselves living the shop for possibly the rest of their careers.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was about 13. Series 16 of casualty was particularly good.
Lara was hot. Though Patrick died :bawling:
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OOh, I've found out my Dad has "contacts", might be able to get me a week at our GP (with the bloke who does minor surgeries) and/or some time with the nurse.
clank
Report 10 years ago
nah im going to RUMS in Sept (5 year)... i really wanted to be in london and only decided a few of months before UCAS had to be in. because of that i didnt really have loads of directly medical work experience making my Gep applications not so successful
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, one day my mother was really sick and there was no one to look after her so I ran out on the streets and shouted for help. A tall, handsome, blond-haired and blue-eyed man came running and saved her life and then looked at me and said, "I'm a doctor." At that moment I discovered that there's nothing else I want to be.
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Oh, one day my mother was really sick and there was no one to look after her so I ran out on the streets and shouted for help. A tall, handsome, blond-haired and blue-eyed man came running and saved her life and then looked at me and said, "I'm a doctor." At that moment I discovered that there's nothing else I want to be.
Your neighborhood was patrolled by Nazi doctors? If it wasn't that minor detail, I might have bought it but the blond hair, blue eyes thing makes it completely unbelievable.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AEH)
Your neighborhood was patrolled by Nazi doctors? If it wasn't that minor detail, I might have bought it but the blond hair, blue eyes thing makes it completely unbelievable.
Lol, it was the reason Carla gave as to why she became a nurse in Scrubs. Well, I exaggerated it a little. I don't think I even know anyone who has blond hair and blue eyes.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Lol, it was the reason Carla gave as to why she became a nurse in Scrubs. Well, I exaggerated it a little. I don't think I even know anyone who has blond hair and blue eyes.
Heh, I thought it was! Actually hers was that her Mum fainted (in a supermarket I think) and everyone was crowding around, and this man came up and told everyone to move, and they did - which was a miracle as noone in her family listens to anyone - and she found out he was a doctor and wanted to be one. Then the tooth fairy (or whatever) didn't leave $200,000 (again, cant remember exact amount) under her pillow, so she became a nurse instead.

At least I'm fairly sure that's right.

Wouldn't it be good if being a doctor was just like on scrubs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads