Universities with most aspiring Barristers Watch

Nana_Julia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually I do think it is at least slightly interesting in that Oxbridge students are more likely to TRY to go to the Bar, presumably this contributes at least slightly to the increased proportion of Oxbridgers who SUCCEED...
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Probably because loads of people run around saying "omg you don't have an oxbridge first, hahaha".
Dom1989
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lewisy-boy)
Probably because loads of people run around saying "omg you don't have an oxbridge first, hahaha".
It's coincidental that Nottingham isn't on the list and you have decided not to be a Barrister...
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Strange, I know plenty of people going to be barristers though ...
Dreama
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the contrary, this list may be interesting for those yet to choose their University.

I often found the preoccupation of the vast majority of my peers with Solicitor-type stuff extremely disheartening. I'd love to have had a larger group of peers with similar ambitions and more people going through a similar application process etc.

So not as completely useless as you first thought...
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
On the contrary, this list may be interesting for those yet to choose their University.

I often found the preoccupation of the vast majority of my peers with Solicitor-type stuff extremely disheartening. I'd love to have had a larger group of peers with similar ambitions and more people going through a similar application process etc.

So not as completely useless as you first thought...
I thought lots of people at King's wanted to go down the barrister route. I heard (ages ago) that they had a lot of graduates becoming barristers.

Although my memory could be fading in my old age...
Dom1989
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That dude from the apprentice went to King's College London and starts being a Barrister this October...
{City17}
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by bryan)
the % of international students in the law faculty of UCL is not particularly high when compared to some of the unis on that list, like Nottingham, Warwick and Manchester, all of which have quite a few internationals reading law. also, not all internationals go back to their home country right after their degree. some do stay for the LPC/BVC and TC/Pupilage, then go back.
maybe its just that more of the international students in London go back home after realising that its a dump
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by {City17})
maybe its just that more of the international students in London go back home after realising that its a dump
*meiow*
Lord Lawz
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Next time I'll take 'very interesting' to mean 'soporific drivel'
Dreama
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Onearmedbandit - KCL probably does have a high number of Barrister-destined folk (And splendid barristers they'll be...) But it did seem like a minority... Maybe they are just less vocal

x
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmm i cant say those statistics are particularly useful or interesting at all.
AdamTJ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
Onearmedbandit - KCL probably does have a high number of Barrister-destined folk (And splendid barristers they'll be...) But it did seem like a minority... Maybe they are just less vocal

x
Well of course they will be in a minority- the Bar's a much smaller profession! And it's also still Oxbridge dominated so that hardly helps things at King's. Also to get into the really good sets you ideally need a first- which most people obviously don't get. So all reasons why the Bar option would be a minority one.

Dreama are you heading off to the Bar or are you going the corporate route ala Lewis?
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She's Bar route last I heard!

Good points about why they (Barristers) are the minority - that, and no-one likes them so they get pushed into a corner.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads