Students - dentist/optician free? Watch

DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
I don't think the NHS dentist is free for 19yrs or above student
Hmmm a 22yr old student is! . . . :ninja:

(Original post by Jillie Boe)
A lot of students I know, myself included don't qualify for free health care.

I started University at 18, have an NHS dentist and have had to pay since then. I also have to pay for my opticians. I know specsaves give you student discount. Don't go to boots. They charged me £30 last time. Rip off central!

And I got my HC1 form from my dentist. Then I realised I didn't qualify for it, well gutted =[
How come your not entitled?
ninjascantswim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know if you still get free healthcare as a full time student?
I'm 20, have been out of full time education for two years but am starting a full time uni course this september...
I've had problems with my student finance and its gonna be late, not sure how late, and I've got a part time job doing 12 hours a week.
However I'm commuting to uni and since my student finance is screwed I'm going to have to pay my board completely with my wages, which leaves me £11.16p a week (I've just about got the money for my bus pass so that doesnt include food or travel) but I've got chronic toothache. It REALLY REALLY hurts now, but cant afford to pay the dentist fees until I get my student finance...

I've tried asking for more shifts at work (but there aren't any going) and I cant find another part time job that is compatible with or pays more than the one that I already have.

There is no chance in hell of borrowing any money from my mother...
I need my student overdraft to help pay board and get course stuff...

Nikos28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm a student I'm 19 and I got to college, would I be entitled to free dental treatments?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At an NHS dentist you can get free treament until the day before your 19th birthday, after that and for the opticians you need to fill out an HC1 form which should entitle you to free treatment or a discount depending on income and outgoings- so if you pay rent your more likely to be entitled.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nikos28)
Hey I'm a student I'm 19 and I got to college, would I be entitled to free dental treatments?
Unlikely if you live with your parents rent free unless they are on a low wage/on benefits, although you may get some discount with the HC1 form.
Greenstarrr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I work in an opticians part time and we have to deal with this a lot.

Anyone who is on low income can fill in a HC1 form as long as they are not already recieving some other form of benefits eg: Income Support/Tax credit/Job Seekers allowance etc. When you send the form off they assess your income as to wether you are intitled to a HC2/3 certificate.

If you are eligable, the certificate covers: NHS prescriptions (doctors/hosptital prescriptions); dental treatment; wigs and fabrics supports; sight tests, glasses and contact lenses; travel to recieve NHS treatment.

Depending on your income depends on how much you can claim for. A HC2 covers the whole amount and a HC3 tells you how much you have to contribute towards the amount.

You can either present the HC2/3 certificate at your appointment or if you're in the process of getting it you can use it to claim back the money once you recieve it but this has to be within 3 months, you have to fill in another form (HC5) and you need a reciept. (so generally more of a pain in the ass!)

The HC1 forms are available from opticians, doctors surgeries, dentists, hospitals and I think Job centres.

This has probably just repeated the majority of what has already been said but hopefully this will be of some help to someone!
khadijalol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what does full time educaton mean
khadijalol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by khadijalol)
what does full time educaton mean
Peter Mostyn
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Citizens Advice Bureau is always a very good place to go for advice. I take all of my forms to them, so that they can help me fill them in, an because they get a special deal, on the telephone calls, you get them to make any calls that are needed, since it is always an 08 number that you will have to ring. As far as dentistry is concerned, I have them looking into weather I should be paying for my treatment, as a 43 year old, full time student. My Dentist said that I should be, but I am pretty sure that they might be wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.86%
No - but I will (100)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.72%

Watched Threads