What is a BTEC National Diploma in Business like?? Watch

Pyraine
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IGX_RSV2)
Well thats providing you get a DDD, a DDM is just pushing it.
Are you serious?

It entirely depends on what university you want to go to. OK maybe oxbridge don't like BTECs, but you don't need DDD to get into uni, you can get in with MPP in some unis, in fact my safety university accepts just that.

Everyone is so down on BTECs but it's alot more concentrated learning on a single subject matter and is worth 3 A levels, maybe employers don't like it because they don't know what it is, but universities do like them.

However, with those GCSE results, yes you do have the potential to more than 3 A levels, which is a much much bigger opportunity than doing a BTEC, if you only intend on doing 3 however, you might want to do the BTEC instead.
monkeyhead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The common misconception that A level students seem to fail to notice is that someone who does a BTEC ND can get to the same place as someone who has done A-levels. They are both progression routes to university , however BTECs are often thought of as "the easy route".

Now from my own personal experience I did a BTEC ND in Electronic engineering and micro computing, which was by no means easy. I actually found it pretty intense to be honest.

Btecs are good if you have a good sound idea of the industry or career you want to go in. It doesnt matter how outstanding your grades are, if you have an idea of where you want to be career wise and the interest is there then I would strongly recommend it.

With a qualification that has relevance to an interest then you are more than likely to succeed at it. Why spent time learning other subjects just to pass time by , when you could spend that time to focus on something related to where you want to be?

Also I've been told by various lecturers in my particular example that BTEC students often have more relevant theoretical and practical knowledge than that of an A level student. However the A level student will have more of an academic knowledge, so they will perform better in say the mathematical side of things in the first year. So admittedly there are pros and cons but that's the same for most things. Of course the above statement is based on if you were to carry on to a similar subject at uni.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the anonymous neg rep -- I'll try to refrain myself from stopping people, without due consideration, unnecessarily shutting many vocational doors on themselves in future.
xxstace123xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My BTEC, which I am doing at GCSE is an equivalent of 2 GCSE's.
apotccc
Report 10 years ago
I find the notion that you someone will be shutting doors off if they do a a BTEC to e utterly ridiculous.

I got a DDD in my business BTEC. I got offers from all my uni choices, including Aston and Cass who are both well respected by employers. I also just got a gap year placement working in London.

A BTEC won't shut any doors off, unless you want to go to Oxbridge. There have been many successful people in this world though that haven't gone to Oxbrige, so anyone who takes one can still be confident of having a good career if they have the drive to do so.

Employers like IBM, PWC etc don't filter out BTECs. Therefore I say if you don't really like exams but you still have the drive to do well and favour coursework, then go for it. A BTEC isn't going to be a disadvantage to you, and you can still get into virtually any university, bar the obvious two.
Scott20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sparklypink)
Im thinking about doing this in September, i've finished my GCSEs and am predicted 10 A's and B's (just gotta wait till August now)

If you have done the BTEC National Diploma Business or something similar, how many days a week did you have to go to college and how many hours a day? Did you enjoy the course? Whats it like?

xxx
4 days a week.
How many hours a day? Well two days are full days, so 9-5 and the other two days were short days, like 9-12.

1 day off.
Scott20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IGX_RSV2)
Most Uni's accept BTECS ..... Well thats providing you get a DDD, a DDM is just pushing it. But with her grades at GCSE, DDD looks totally within reach for her since BTECS are less demanding than even the old GCSE coursework.

Alternatively if she was looking to go straight into employment i don't see why a national diploma, especailly business wouldnt suffice.
Absolute nonsense really, please don't post on subjects you have no clue on, BTEC ND's are equivalent of 3 A LEVELS, so that's like you saying only guys who get 3 A'S will get to Uni.

I know many people who got into Uni with MMP. As i said it's equivalent to 3 A LEVELS.
jamesmbell89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you have to pass welsh bacc to get the qualificstion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads