Getting to Cambridge from London Watch

citizen.erased
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Go to Kings Cross at 10am on the 4th of October, then quickly while nobody is looking walk through the barrier between platforms 5 and 6. You will reach platform 5 and 1/3 where the Cambridge Express should be waiting for you. Surely you were told this in your letter they sent when you were accepted?!?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanyore)
Erm, I've been trying to find a ticket to go to Cambridge around Mid-september, and they all cost around 30 pounds each. I wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper now, would I?
eh? A return with railcard with railcard normally costs £15 odd (probs £22 or so without). Maybe you're trying to book for peak time...?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
eh? A return with railcard with railcard normally costs £15 odd (probs £22 or so without). Maybe you're trying to book for peak time...?
Saver returns are almost £18 with a railcard now. Not sure how much it is for peak time. It's not generally worth booking in advance though, AFAIK.
Sanyore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Virgin trains do a really good rate. In fact, it seems a bit too good to be true.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Virgin trains do a really good rate. In fact, it seems a bit too good to be true.
Virgin from London-Cambridge? :confused: Where?
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Saver returns are almost £18 with a railcard now. Not sure how much it is for peak time. It's not generally worth booking in advance though, AFAIK.
You're right actually, that's a pity. Although day returns are slightly cheaper, and Cheap Day Returns (i.e. not valid at peak times) are a fair bit cheaper.

If cost is an urgent issue the coach is cheaper, especially if you are able to pre-book.
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Virgin from London-Cambridge? :confused: Where?
On the website. I hope I wasn't on LSD or something, because I saw a ticket that left in the morning and returned in the evening for 14 pounds.
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the website. I hope I wasn't on LSD or something, because I saw a ticket that left in the morning and returned in the evening for 14 pounds.
Virgin doesn't actually run the route or any kind of special offer on that though, they sell tickets for any route on their website. AFAIK there are no tickets for which you can get a discount for pre-booking on the London-Cambridge route, you might as well just buy your ticket at the station. A 'Cheap Day Return' (valid after 9.30) with Railcard costs £11.90 anyhow.
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But I don't have a railcard, so will the Virgin ticket be enough? You have to get the stamp of the college for the railcard, don't you?
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But I don't have a railcard, so will the Virgin ticket be enough? You have to get the stamp of the college for the railcard, don't you?
http://www.railcard.co.uk/

Anyone aged 16-25 can get a 16-25 railcard. The clue's in the name. It costs though.
Supermerp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Anyone aged 16-25 can get a 16-25 railcard. The clue's in the name. It costs though.
If you get a student account with the right bank you can get a free one for 5 years. I don't know which ones offer it at the moment, I use HSBC.
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, that's all fine and dandy; but I'll have to prove I'm a student, and that involves getting a stamp from the college, I assume. I go back to college on the 18th. I need to go to Cambridge before then; so, the Virgin ones will probably suffice.
Scary Monster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Virgin ones will be the same price as the standard turn up and pay on the day off peak ones.

You don't need to prove your a student to get the railcard, turn up with your proof of age and pay! Student Oysters you do, but they are very different.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, that's all fine and dandy; but I'll have to prove I'm a student, and that involves getting a stamp from the college, I assume. I go back to college on the 18th. I need to go to Cambridge before then; so, the Virgin ones will probably suffice.
The 16-25 railcard does cost, but not much. You need proof of ID (passport etc.) before you get one, but nothing special. I bought my first one 3 years ago, and it paid for itself in one trip.
snak3uk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
christ i havent heard such a load of ****ing ******** in years

USE THE NATIONAL RAIL ENQUIRES WEBSITE
menagerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm, I've been trying to find a ticket to go to Cambridge around Mid-september, and they all cost around 30 pounds each. I wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper now, would I?
Get a 16-25 railcard - seriously worth it.
They cost £24 for a year but you'll save loads of money over the whole year if you're going to uni or in yr 13 (I was going all over the country for open days and interviews). You save 1/3 on every journey you do.

And I'm pretty sure that the Cambridge Express is about £12 return when you buy on the day with a railcard.
menagerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
--> or £9.25 according to the National Rail website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads