?
Report 10 years ago
Just tell to **** off and go.
ConservativeNucleophile
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just go. There's absolutely **** all the school can do to stop you anyway.
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pssh.

Just do what other people have said, and be off "ill". Honestly; take a step back- you only live once, and education is not the be all and end all. Enjoy your freakin' life already.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
I don't think that examples [should] count for much though. He may go and very well put it on his PS, but show absolutely no leadership while he's there -- yet he can still put it on his PS.
Lol. People make up stuff on PSs all the time. It is fairly impossible to prevent. However, I am looking beyond uni applications! What about adding to the OP's life experience? It is perhaps more important than you realise to take part in ECs, to travel, to work with unfamiliar people etc. It adds to or even makes who you are.
Moreover, I don't think that the arguable benefits one may gain from learning how to teach skiing preponderate missing three weeks of school. And I also think that the floodgates argument is valid; why is only he above the school rules?
Hmm well I disagree. It doesn't sound to me like missing such a short time at college would mitigate the OP's already excellent results.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex-hs)
well, call theirs and do it
Yeah, because that's sensible. Finding a new college that does the same lessons on exactly the same exam boards, that has places for the new year, and will allow me to miss that much school. Plus making new friends etc.

All that does is inconvenience the OP, and not the school at all. Why put yourself through that hassle over a week off?

OP, you have to live with it. Either you go to this skiing course and have a poor attendence, or you don't go and have a good one. Really, I doubt a ski course is going to make any difference to your UCAS application if you're as brilliant as you claim in your first post (you seem to have plenty of examples of leadership without this).
GuyM
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ouch, tough break man, good luck with sorting it....

I've gotta say I was well jealous when you said you were going to go and learn how to teach skiing!

-Guy
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by evil groove)
Lol. People make up stuff on PSs all the time. It is fairly impossible to prevent. However, I am looking beyond uni applications! What about adding to the OP's life experience? It is perhaps more important than you realise to take part in ECs, to travel, to work with unfamiliar people etc. It adds to or even makes who you are.

Hmm well I disagree. It doesn't sound to me like missing such a short time at college would mitigate the OP's already excellent results.
Yes, I think it's more the principle than the effect. Why should he, just because he can get good grades, be able to dictate his timetable?

But I can sense we're just going to have to disagree. Maybe I'm just uptight; which is odd, as I'm quite liberal about most things.
shelly1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it. I worked in education for many years including having responsibility for attendence. As I understand it you can have up to 10 school days an academic year authorised as holiday if your parents complete an official school 'holiday form'. It's then for the head to authorise it. If they won't you could always go to the Governors. You could also contact your education authority's Education Welfare Department for clarification. If I remember correctly school attendance figures are submitted in about May so time off after that would not count towards official figures. It's not as though you're not going to do something constructive. Go for it!!!!!!!!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shelly1)
I wouldn't worry about it. I worked in education for many years including having responsibility for attendence. As I understand it you can have up to 10 school days an academic year authorised as holiday if your parents complete an official school 'holiday form'. It's then for the head to authorise it. If they won't you could always go to the Governors. You could also contact your education authority's Education Welfare Department for clarification. If I remember correctly school attendance figures are submitted in about May so time off after that would not count towards official figures. It's not as though you're not going to do something constructive. Go for it!!!!!!!!
Me thinks [assumes] he goes to a private school. :p:
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey just to clarify...should have mentioned this

I am going anyway...it never entered my mind not going...what pisses me off is that on principle they should have authorised it. At the very least, it would have been nice for the head to have talked to me about it and said something along the lines of 'well I personally think its good blah blah blah but dfes regulations / protocol means we just can't blah blah'...

but they were downright rude about it..with the head refusing to take my call or arrange an appointment and with his deputy being patronising and generally a bit of an arse about it
jgupta
Rep:
?
(Original post by BasiConcept)
You forgot:

"[/rant]" :eek:
corrected...phew!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)

I am going anyway...it never entered my mind not going...what pisses me off is that on principle they should have authorised it
I hate arrogant middle-class people. (Yes, that was supposition concerning your social stratum -- but I'd imagine I'm right!)

And please don't attack me for saying something perfectly reasonable. :p:
misswilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I am going anyway...it never entered my mind not going...what pisses me off is that on principle they should have authorised it
Good for you.
That's all I really have to say, they way they have "handled" this has been an utter disgrace and if it goes any futher go to the govs and make a big hoo ha.
kamie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Technically it's two different school years anyway - end of one (10 days) and start of another (5 days). Like has been said, theres nothing they can do about it if you go really - if your parents are backing you up ask them if they will say something to school?
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am going anyway...it never entered my mind not going...what pisses me off is that on principle they should have authorised it.
Why should they have "on principle"? Having good grades and helping out on Open Days benefit you more than the school, so its not like they owe you anything for doing them...
Flying Cow
Report 10 years ago
You're from Ormskirk? I live near there!

What school do you go to?
hysterian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BasiConcept)
You forgot:

"[/rant]" :eek:
what's this tag used for
jgupta
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
I hate arrogant middle-class people. (Yes, that was supposition concerning your social stratum -- but I'd imagine I'm right!)

And please don't attack me for saying something perfectly reasonable. :p:
Well I think there is a case to be made for the school not authorising it, but I'm not being arrogant here, so I'm sorry if it came off that way.
I'm not annoyed particularly that it wasnt authorised, I'm annoyed at the way they handled it by refusing to speak to me basically.
I sent a letter addressed *to* my headteacher, and he passed it off to one of his deputies who denied it and on the phone was very, very rude about it.
jgupta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joanna May)
Why should they have "on principle"? Having good grades and helping out on Open Days benefit you more than the school, so its not like they owe you anything for doing them...
Well, the open days and everything else, especially lower down the school, did absolutely nothing to benefit me.
The grades, yes, but my point is that I can study whilst I'm there and teach myself to maintain them...
jgupta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flying Cow)
You're from Ormskirk? I live near there!

What school do you go to?
really? Its 'Ormskirk School' lol - yourself?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads