Favourite Film Recommendations Watch

flecalicious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
You guys have fantastic taste, some of these are my favourite films! And I'm making a note of all the others...

(Original post by Excalibur)
I didn't like the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Not a patch on the 1995 BBC mini-series, imo.

Colin Firth > Matthew MacFayden
Jennifer Ehle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Keira Knightley

My favourite film? It's quite difficult to narrow it down, but I think it must go to the Lord of the Rings trilogy (do trilogies count? :p: ). I also love the Back to the Future trilogy, as well as Ghibli anime (particularly Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa and Totoro).
Don't worry, I'm used to that opinion! I've only ever found one person who agreed with me and that was my A-Level English teacher! We used to talk about how much we loved Matthew Macfadyen's Darcy... And don't get me wrong, I do love the miniseries! I just have an absolutely overwhelming love for the 2005 film...

And yeh, trilogies count BTTF is fanastic!

I must say, another film I'm in love with and would really recommend is Fight Club. Best ending twist in the history of film ever and the performances are mind-blowing.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh wow.. I really have to disagree with your appraisal - I thought Keira Knightley made an awful Lizzie! :p: Have you seen the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice? It's far, far better IMO.

There are several films I'd recommend, but it'd take forever to give an overview of all of them so I'll just pick one: Seven.

First thing worth mentioning would be the excellent cast (Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey) and crew (David Fincher, Andrew Walker, Jean Black, Greg Kimble and Darius Khondji). The amalgamation of these people makes for a completely engrossing script which is acted out to perfection, under the most amazingly gritty cinematography. To be honest I think there's a bit of everything thrown in there: the main characters are plausible and engaging; the storyline is fast-paced and avoids a dull, linear progression quite effectively; the set design blends perfectly with the nature of the script, and there are even references to Dante, Milton and Bach to add a bit of cultural variety. :p: I guess the moderate gore may put some people off, but I've never heard any other complaints about the film. A must-see, IMO.

Edit: I see that you have watched the BBC series. How can you prefer the 2005 version?! :eek:

*scratches head*
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unbreakable
The Driver
Back to the Future

(Original post by neon)
The Warriors (1979)
  • it's awesome
Word.
Star_M
Report 10 years ago
City Of God - Its all in portuguese but trust me you will not be bored, simply a fantastic performance all round!

Lord Of War - Watched this the other night, its got Nicholas Cage in it and its somewhat of a political satire about arms trade

Girl, Interrupted -This is the movie Angelina Jolie won her Oscar for, its generally about a woman trying to find her place in the world after being institutionalised.

Team America - This biggest mick take of anyone and everyone you will ever see. Note:not for those who are easily offended (from the makers of south park)

Madagascar - Animated film that I genuinely found hilarious!
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Children Of Men - great story and have you noticed how long some of the single shot sequenes are?! It's insanity, there'll be a whole action sequence 7 and a half minutes long without a single change of camera :eek:

The secretary - a love story with a twist. All about sadomasochism yet still really romantic

Pulp fiction - will never get old, less clever or uncool.
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Saving Private Ryan
flecalicious
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freud)
Children Of Men - great story and have you noticed how long some of the single shot sequenes are?! It's insanity, there'll be a whole action sequence 7 and a half minutes long without a single change of camera :eek:
I love Children of Men! And seeing as I'm not a massive fan of Clive Owen that's even more of an achievement

The sequences that really stand out for me are the one in the car (I'm sure you know which one I mean...) and the entire sequence in the building right at the end, when war is just errupting all around them. Incredible!

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
Edit: I see that you have watched the BBC series. How can you prefer the 2005 version?! :eek:

*scratches head*
I guess it's all just personal taste! :P There is such a beautiful quality to the 2005 film that I can't help but adore it. The drama in just the first proposal scene had me at "I love you" (the way he interjects so suddenly and unexpectedly just...kills me!). I think it's the actual aesthetics of the film that probably turn it from a wonderful film into my absolute favourite. The colours, the landscapes... it's all so vivdly colourful in my mind when I think of it that I can't help but love it!

My grandma prefers the BBC version too, so I'm used to debating it and honestly, I think the BBC version is wonderful! Andrew Davies has written some of my favourite TV (Sense and Sensibility 2008 - need I say more?) - but my heart truly does lie with Keira and Matthew's Lizzie and Darcy...
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flecalicious)
I love Children of Men! And seeing as I'm not a massive fan of Clive Owen that's even more of an achievement

The sequences that really stand out for me are the one in the car (I'm sure you know which one I mean...) and the entire sequence in the building right at the end, when war is just errupting all around them. Incredible!
Totally :cool: When my friend said he wanted to show me it, I thought the title sounded crap. I'm so glad he/it proved me wrong!
flecalicious
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freud)
Totally :cool: When my friend said he wanted to show me it, I thought the title sounded crap. I'm so glad he/it proved me wrong!
Same, I avoided watching it for a long time. Big mistake! I've learnt since then to give everything a chance
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theredwindmill)
ooo i went to the politics one, there was only 3 of us there i don't think many went. I think one of the film teachers are leaving this year phil i think.

EDIT: oh my days i was going to go to C8 to talk to the person who went to Aberystwyth because i want to go there for uni, but i didn't have time
Yeah there was only 4 in my room, lol.

Well if you do have any questions or whatever PM me if you like.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I think The Godfather is the greatest film from a technical and casting point of view. Casablanca is probably the next greatest, but if I had to pick one film as a 'favourite', it has to be Lawrence of Arabia.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Donnie Darko, La Haine, Cache, Funny Games.
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why do people like Children of Men? Myself, I found that quite overrated and hyped up to the point where I was disappointed.

I recommend City of God. It really is fantastic.
If you have not seen this film, Oldboy. See it now.
Star_M
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jaydoh)
Donnie Darko, La Haine, Cache, Funny Games.
ohhh i cant believe i forgot La Haine, an absolutely brilliant french film!
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Once Upon A Time In America:

Fantastic writing, brilliant timing, amazingly directed, beautiful photography, outstanding acting...and it cost Sergio Leone his life
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Once Upon A Time In America:

Fantastic writing, brilliant timing, amazingly directed, beautiful photography, outstanding acting...and it cost Sergio Leone his life
What?
ClivePounds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Monty Python's Life of Brian

*It has regularly been cited as possibly the greatest comedy film of all time
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DirtyHarry)
What?
He died shortly after the film's release and it's thought that this was because of the stress with arranging different cuts of the film varying from 90 mins (**** apparently, and really slated) to 3hr42min (current, amazing), especially after starting the edit with an 11 hour long scripted movie, then cutting down to 6, then to what it is now...
about_my_bow
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shawshank redemption
green mile

and without a doubt waynes world 1&2 (1 esp)
HappinessHappening
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[xcbvxbcvcv
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.77%
No - but I will (53)
7.05%
No - I don't want to (54)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (361)
48.01%

Watched Threads