Partying/Random Hookups/One night stands or just nerds? Watch

Quistis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ixivxivi)
Scarily, depressingly "fit" - at school you are perfectly allowed (well, not really, but whateva') to say that pretty people = ditsy-ish, but at ox they probably just do have it all - far cleverer than you, far more attractive, far richer, far more able to sing, to act, far fitter etc etc.

Actually, is it just that scotland is pretty damn obese, or has anyone else noticed how much more thin oxford people are than general? Since I've come back home, I've noticed that now the majority of people I see on the streets could be classed as overweight, and if most of the ox people were transported here they'd be called anorexic.
...yeah. During an anatomy class last term, I realised that I was the second chubbiest girl in our group of 10. I'm a size 10/12 (okay, definitely more 12 than 10 after all that finalist comfort eating, but still!) I've definitely noticed that a lot of girls at Oxford seem to be a size 6 or 8. I live in Liverpool, which is almost as unhealthy an area as Scotland :p:, so when I come home I'm considered to be quite slim. It's definitely not just you, or Scotland.

And, as you say, it's depressing how fit Oxford people are in general. It also depresses me how so many of the girls are blonde, and the generally-accepted standard of attractiveness appears to be: short skirt, blonde hair, very giggly and feminine. As a tomboyish brunette who'd rather die than act dumb around a boy, I found it all really intimidating, and I definitely left Oxford this June feeling much less attractive than I felt when I started three years ago. I have a nagging, horrid feeling I ought to dye my hair blonde and lose two dress sizes before I start in London this autumn, because I actually want to feel attractive for the first time in my university career. (Well, I eat too much junk, and am very unfit, so losing one dress size would be a genuinely sensible plan, but going blonde? :eek:)
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no casual sex in Oxford, because there are six single girls in Oxford, three of whom are morbidly obese.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ixivxivi)
Scarily, depressingly "fit" - at school you are perfectly allowed (well, not really, but whateva') to say that pretty people = ditsy-ish, but at ox they probably just do have it all - far cleverer than you, far more attractive, far richer, far more able to sing, to act, far fitter etc etc.

Actually, is it just that scotland is pretty damn obese, or has anyone else noticed how much more thin oxford people are than general? Since I've come back home, I've noticed that now the majority of people I see on the streets could be classed as overweight, and if most of the ox people were transported here they'd be called anorexic.
We're shorter too. Seriously. I feel like a giant in Scotland, but in Canada/the South of England, I'm...just not.
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cambridge has a completely different social life to any other university around (even, so I've been told, Oxford). If you're going out in Cambridge, the prelude to the night tends to be formal. Quite often, the intention to head out to a club after tends to die after a bottle of wine and a few drinks in the bar and pool/table football seems more appealing than cindies (well, gouging your own eyes out with a rusty screwdrivier is generally more appealing than cindies but you know what I mean) and the evening tends to end up in drinking games at a friend's room or something. So, unless everyone in your group stays drunk enough that cindies seems like a good idea but not drunk enough that getting there as a group becomes an effort, pulling opportunities are limited.

This changes when you're on formal swaps. Formal swaps tend to be when most one-night-stands happen in Cambridge, because you're forced to sit next to members of the opposite sex (and, due to the way formal swaps are organised, members of the opposite sex at least half your crew/team/society find attractive) for a couple of hours with copious amounts of alcohol. And you've probably not met most of them before and are unlikely to ever again.

Then the other social event that tends to happen is the college ent. And you can't really pull there. Because if you pull there, you're going to see the person most days for the next three years and it will be awkward. So unless you're ok with awkwardness, gossip and have no shame, one-night-stands with people in your college are a thoroughly bad idea.
Darty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should also bare in mind, if you go to Oxford, you share the same clubbing venues as Brookes students, and everyone knows they're all sluts. General impression: lot of pulling, not that much sex (unless you happen to end up pulling a Brookes student, which invariably leads to sex).
Yttrium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
There is no casual sex in Oxford, because there are six single girls in Oxford, three of whom are morbidly obese.
heternormative.

[the gays have lots of casual sex. (including the girls) ]

well, not *all* of them, but hey.
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yttrium)
heternormative.

Not all of them I had a girlfriend who wouldn't even let me kiss her until we'd been dating about 3 weeks!
Yttrium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
Not all of them I had a girlfriend who wouldn't even let me kiss her until we'd been dating about 3 weeks!
to be honest, i don't have much casual sex, either. but the stereotype's worth maintaining (and there is *some* truth in it, I'd say; the gay male scene at Oxford is pretty daymn incestuous..)
aspiringlawyer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woah...
Looks like you guys hit a nerve.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621586
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, this is a ridiculous thread, so she shouldn't take it too seriously. Generalisations of (a) attractiveness and (b) sexual behaviours are always onto a loser. Particularly when we're talking about a bunch of predominantly 18-25 yr olds...
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I've felt like crap ever since I saw that thread I stand by what I said here - Fit College and the rah/hack world have their own standard of beauty, and it's feminine with long blonde hair, a denim mini, and black tights - but people of all types find love and happiness - and, hell, one-night stands - at Oxford, and I really wish I'd made that clearer in my original post.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yttrium)
heternormative.

Oxford has gay people?
Huw Davies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
Yeah, I've felt like crap ever since I saw that thread I stand by what I said here - Fit College and the rah/hack world have their own standard of beauty, and it's feminine with long blonde hair, a denim mini, and black tights - but people of all types find love and happiness - and, hell, one-night stands - at Oxford, and I really wish I'd made that clearer in my original post.
My recollection of numerous Friday-lunchtime conversations with The Pervy Male Public is of frequently plumping for girls who didn't conform to that stereotype. Had hoped to find a counterexample on the Cherwell website - however, they seem keen to prove you right.

http://www.cherwell.org/cherwell/com...lxt/Itemid,85/

Frankly eerie.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ****ing hate that blonde-hack-fit college beauty stereotype. Too much so, I think I'm prejudiced against them.
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Huw Davies)
My recollection of numerous Friday-lunchtime conversations with The Pervy Male Public is of frequently plumping for girls who didn't conform to that stereotype. Had hoped to find a counterexample on the Cherwell website - however, they seem keen to prove you right.

http://www.cherwell.org/cherwell/com...lxt/Itemid,85/

Frankly eerie.
See? THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN! And it's not just the Fit College lasses - the guys all have a similar look to them too. Not always blonde, but always white, often with the same hairstyle, invariably quite Jack Wills catalogue-looking...
aspiringlawyer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, this just proves the girl on that other thread is probably right.

Looks like she actually does have something to worry about.
Huw Davies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aspiringlawyer)
Well, this just proves the girl on that other thread is probably right.

Looks like she actually does have something to worry about.
Assuming she is concerned that a small clique of people won't ask her to be on their perve page. Let's hope not.

You might as well assume that all women who don't resemble the aesthetic promoted in Vogue go unwanted and unloved. Which would come as a surprise to those pictured in Nuts, who don't conform to it. Not to mention all the desirable women who wouldn't make either, but have no shortage of offers.

Incidentally, Laura Clegg, the subject of a tabloid feeding frenzy and described as "Oxford's fittest girl" in the Daily Mail, wasn't and isn't blonde.
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Eye)
The parties aren't bad but I was disappointed that everyone always insists on being in bed by 9:30.
Don't include rowers :p:
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shabanrauf)
Yes, but the question is, are the girls fit?

Or is the place just full of spotty geeky chubby ones?

There are no fat students at the University of Cambridge. well, maybe the odd one, but about 98% of people are slim/normal weight. Particularly the girls. Result- coming home to visit my local Asda store on a saturday afternoon was visually quite taxing (but made me feel better for not being overweight myself)
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's particularly the boys at oxford

maybe that's the key difference between the two
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise