will i need a laptop? Watch

Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Is recording lectures allowed? Do many people do it?

I don't know anything about digital recorders, what are the top brands/models?
Why would you want to go through the pain of a lecture twice, once is hard enough.
Egypt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have never seen anyone take a laptop lectures iver the last 6 years!!! Maybe the new students are bit keener than we all were! I would suggest that you need a computer be it laptop or desktop as there will be times when you need a computer and the library is shut/full/PCs are all broken. If you don't have one, you can manage but it requires far more organisation!
ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine has hindered me more than anything. But then I dont use a laptop, I use an insanely high specc'd computer that has most of its memory saved for gaming.
d23ward
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Check if your university has 24 hour computer rooms as I know Nottingham does. If not Apple do student discount or you can pick up a decent laptop from PC World or even a refurbished one online! And remember using the comp' rooms is more social and a way to meet more friends!
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robob)
Why would you want to go through the pain of a lecture twice, once is hard enough.
Was that a serious comment?
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont see why it wouldn't be. More often than not lectures are as boring as they are pointless.
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badboy killa)
Was that a serious comment?
Well yes. Once you have the notes from the lec, why sit through it again.
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never wished I had a laptop as a student. Barely anyone had a laptop back in the day when I started med school in 2000, broadband had just been launched by BT a few months earlier.

I used to take my Shuttle SFF PC with me to far away clinical firms in 3rd and 4th years (wanted the extra screen space a laptop couldn't provide). Only time I've wished I had a laptop was when travelling on the train, had some important work to do in a hurry and had overslept (can only think of 2 times I've really felt a want for one).

I'm a doctor now and at the moment (as in minutes ago) as part of my research project I'm looking at ultrasound video (taking lots of measurements etc) on a 24" screen (thank god!). My data set takes up around 250gb in total and needs 500mb ram to load and smoothly playback a 15 sec video (uncompressed high res stuff). eFilm Workstation (my medical image viewing software) likes 1.5gb ram to load a subject's data set. Matlab (which I'm using for automated image processing) wants another 1gb to load and process a vid. Load up Word, Endnote and 5-6 browser windows and a laptop would struggle (my 'sexy looking laptop' wielding colleague, who's been helping write my image processing code, has been pulling her hair out). So I'd say desktop > laptop by far for my needs. You might think that's irrelevant, but an undergrad intercalated BSc project used this scanner for their project this past year, so it is possible to be working with similar stuff.

You need to weigh up what you'll be using a computer for and choose your solution appropriately. That might be a laptop, it might be a desktop, it might be exclusively using uni facilities. For the average 1st year any of those would probably get the job done.
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I can type much, much faster than I can write is it worth taking a laptop to lectures? (I know it's more of a general question but I'll be doing medicine).
*tink*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no don't take a laptop - you will annoy everyone around you! One bloke in our year does and it drives the rest of us mad.

and I agree with what everyone else has said - go for a desktop. They are also easier to repair/upgrade than laptops.
martin101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dont take a laptop. Even at Oxford youre considered overly keen/nerdy if you take one into lectures! Loads of people have them just because they are smaller and are easier to take home at the end of term etc, but Ive got along just fine without a laptop. Its much more comfortable looking at a larger screen and using a bigger keyboard!
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robob)
Well yes. Once you have the notes from the lec, why sit through it again.

Firstly you don't listen to the whole recording again. You mark timings during the lec where you've missed something or didn't quite grasp the point. It has helped me tremendously and alot of other people who hav dictaphones. And like someone mentioned before, come exam time, they can be gold when your missing notes.

Oh, and I dont know what medical uni you are at but at ours, not all lecture handouts are that great.
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
I dont see why it wouldn't be. More often than not lectures are as boring as they are pointless.
Well I disagree, most of our lectures is what we are actually examined on.
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by martin101)
dont take a laptop. Even at Oxford youre considered overly keen/nerdy if you take one into lectures! Loads of people have them just because they are smaller and are easier to take home at the end of term etc, but Ive got along just fine without a laptop. Its much more comfortable looking at a larger screen and using a bigger keyboard!
I think I'm going to take my 20" monitor and an external keyboard/mouse with me, so I can just plug my laptop in when I'm in my room and run it like a desktop
Egypt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly you don't listen to the whole recording again. You mark timings during the lec where you've missed something or didn't quite grasp the point. It has helped me tremendously and alot of other people who hav dictaphones. And like someone mentioned before, come exam time, they can be gold when your missing notes.

Oh, and I dont know what medical uni you are at but at ours, not all lecture handouts are that great.
Indeed, thats why you're in the lecture making your own notes as the lecture happens....!
ACDC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I take a laptop into lectures sometiomes, because my hand writing is terrible and Im much faster taking notes on the laptop. It isnt essential, its more to do with what you would prefer to use.

What you should get, is a dictaphone. They are invaluable in my opinion. It would be a better spend then money on a laptop.
Good idea. What sort of dictaphone are you using? Any recommendations?
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ACDC)
Good idea. What sort of dictaphone are you using? Any recommendations?
Ditto. I'd like some recommendations too.
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Egypt)
Indeed, thats why you're in the lecture making your own notes as the lecture happens....!
You seemed to have missed the point of the entire post, oh and not everyone likes to scribble down notes in lectures, like me for example
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Ditto. I'd like some recommendations too.
Im using an olympus DS-30, cost like £100 I think. Its better then the cheaper versions as it can mark points in the recording, usefull for making a quick index of a point in the recording where you missed what the lecturer was saying or didnt quite understand it. It also cancels background noise, which is VERY important for dictaphones in a lecture full of 300 medics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise