Differentiate y = arccosec(x) Watch

Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try integrating 1/(kt) between suitable limits to "prove" that log(x) + log(k) = log(kx) using only the fact that log1 = 0 and that the derivative of logx is 1/x.
Cities
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speleo)
Try integrating 1/(kt) between suitable limits to "prove" that log(x) + log(k) = log(kx) using only the fact that log1 = 0 and that the derivative of logx is 1/x.
Sad as I am, I just did it, but did you create ths problem yourself? If you did, it's a very impressive formulation.
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I was trying to think of a way to apply this idea not using trigonometry.
Zii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've done it between 1 and x, and have gotten ln(kx) - ln(k) and presumably I want to show that this is equal to ln(x). How do I do this?

Edit: I see how to do it now!!! Also yeah I spotted the mistake!
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are two ways to think about integrating 1/(kt). You have essentially done the substitution u = kt, but there is another way, how would you integrate 1/ksinx?

(your answer is slightly wrong by the way...)
Zii
Rep:
?
\displaystyle\int^x_1 \frac{1}{kt} \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{k}(\mathrm{ln}kx - \mathrm{ln}k)

\displaystyle\int^x_1 \frac{1}{kt} \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{k}\displaystyle\int^x_1 \frac{1}{t} \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{k}(\mathrm{ln}x - \mathrm{ln}1) = \frac{1}{k}\mathrm{ln}x

\frac{1}{k}(\mathrm{ln}kx - \mathrm{ln}k) = \frac{1}{k}\mathrm{ln}x

\mathrm{ln}kx - \mathrm{ln}k = \mathrm{ln}x

\mathrm{ln}kx = \mathrm{ln}k + \mathrm{ln}x

Q.E.D.
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Using nothing more complicated than the chain rule, prove that the derivative of gol(x), the inverse function of log(x) is gol(x).

i.e. you can use the facts that d/dx log(x) = 1/x, log(1) = 0 (superfluous) and that log[gol(x)] = gol[log(x)] = x

EDIT: also that d/dx x = 1 etc.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Using nothing more complicated than the chain rule, prove that the derivative of gol(x), the inverse function of log(x) is gol(x).

i.e. you can use the facts that d/dx log(x) = 1/x, log(1) = 0 (superfluous) and that log[gol(x)] = gol[log(x)] = x

y = gol(x)
log y = log [gol (x)] = x

Implicit differentiation

1/y dy/dx = 1
dy / dx = y = gol(x)

Why am I doing this anyway - it's summer
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Once you've done that:

Suppose that you have a function y(t), such that:
dy/dt = y.

Show that y(t) = gol(t). (use a definite integral preferably)
Zii
Rep:
?

y = x

\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = 1

y = \mathrm{ln}(e^x) ( = x )

\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{e^x} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(e  ^x)

\frac{1}{e^x} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(e  ^x) = 1

e^x = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(e  ^x)

Q.E.D.
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yup, it would be advisable to think about it as gol(x) or exp(x) [i.e. as the inverse function of log(x)] though, rather than e^x.
Zii
Rep:
?
Once you've done that:

Suppose that you have a function y(t), such that:
dy/dt = y.

Show that y(t) = gol(t). (use a definite integral preferably)
If y = f(t) and \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} = y we get \frac{\mathrm{d}t}{\mathrm{d}y} = \frac{1}{y}.

\displaystyle\int^A_1 1 \, \mathrm{d}t = \displaystyle\int^A_1 \frac{1}{y} \, \mathrm{d}y

A-1 = \mathrm{ln}A

...and then it doesn't work?

I'm really not sure what to do.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yup, it would be advisable to think about it as gol(x) or exp(x) [i.e. as the inverse function of log(x)] though, rather than e^x.
I solved it using a first order differential equation [using first principles]. What's your method?
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm, the question is wrong but I think I can fix it up, give me a sec...
[exp(x-1) works as well for example]
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, the basic issue here is that when using separation of variables, we are implicitly integrating by substitution.

f(x) dx/dt = g(t)
INT f(x) dx/dt dt = INT g(t) dt
INT f(x) dx = INT g(t) dt by integration by substitution.

Now this means that we have to change the limits on the integral so that when x is at the upper limit in the x integral, t is at the upper limit in the t integral and similarly for the lower limits. i.e. if x = h(t), then x_max = h(t_max) and x_min = h(t_min).

Since we don't know how x relies on t, we have to use an indefinite integral instead.

Try it again, just the answer you should get should be gol(t+c) for a real number c.
Zii
Rep:
?
OK, the basic issue here is that when using separation of variables, we are implicitly integrating by substitution.

f(x) dx/dt = g(t)
INT f(x) dx/dt dt = INT g(t) dt
INT f(x) dx = INT g(t) dt by integration by substitution.

Now this means that we have to change the limits on the integral so that when x is at the upper limit in the x integral, t is at the upper limit in the t integral and similarly for the lower limits. i.e. if x = h(t), then x_max = h(t_max) and x_min = h(t_min).

Since we don't know how x relies on t, we have to use an indefinite integral instead.

Try it again, just the answer you should get should be gol(t+c) for a real number c.
Yeah I had to use an indefinite integral (is this because if you do a definite integral you can't have the same limits for different variables?)

I ended up with t + C = \mathrm{ln}y

y = \mathrm{exp}(t + C)

But how do I show that really, C ought to really be ?
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't.

EDIT: I'm not really going anywhere with this...
Zii
Rep:
?
You don't.
Is it because e^C is just a constant so whatever C is, it still satisfies f(x) = f '(x)?
Speleo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's because d/dx (x+C) = 1. You don't know any properties of exp(x) at this point other than that it is the inverse of log(x) and is its own derivative. i.e. you don't know that e^(a+b) = e^a.e^b
You could try deriving this from log(ab) = log(a) + log(b) though.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's because d/dx (x+C) = 1. You don't know any properties of exp(x) at this point other than that it is the inverse of log(x) and is its own derivative. i.e. you don't know that e^(a+b) = e^a.e^b
You could try deriving this from log(ab) = log(a) + log(b) though.
Yeh I got the same with the first order diff eq. Anyway have fun guys. I may be drawn back here sometime in the near future lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise