When to say "I love you" Watch

screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by paperclip)
where did you get that 'average' from then?
You can't measure love, it's just an old saying/knowing, like a seven year itch

I personally think it's pretty true, sixth months is generally how long it takes to get to know someone well enough, gain a longitudinal image of them, see different sides of their personality in a variety of situations. Also explains why most adolescent relationships last around that long.
The Strangest Quark
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never say it unless you are either a) totally sure, or b) really really can't stop yourself.
Err on the side of caution, or you'll just end up in a mess if you turn out to have been wrong.
SmashingPumpkins
Report 10 years ago
wait for them to say it first haha, that way you know you wont screw things up
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Strangest Quark)
Never say it unless you are either a) totally sure, or b) really really can't stop yourself.
or c) drunk :p:
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my boyfriend told me he loved me after a month or so. I knew I loved him, but I was SO not expecting him to say it to me so early because he'd never said those words to either one of his exes.

Don't say it if you don't mean it.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's easy to confuse love and infatuation... feelings can just vanish over time (infatuation) for no good reason and the spark is gone etc.

A few weeks is too early for me. If someone said it to me so soon, I wouldn't be convinced they could mean it. I wouldn't run scared, I'd just not say it back I guess, and maybe even doubt it.

Why? Been there. After a month or something, he said it, I said it back, and a year later the spark was completely gone and I just didn't want to be with him anymore. Clearly not love.

That's not to say that saying it so early doesn't mean it CAN be true... I just think it only really becomes true a bit later, once it's survived past the infatuation stage.
hoiyiu2512
Report 10 years ago
Maybe you can say "I like you" first and observe how she react...
That's a little bit scary to say "I love you" too fast.
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just say you love spending time with her. and you feel as though your relationship could develop into something more later on..
anyarian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there was a brilliant episode of Friends like this...
give her the key to your apartment! the ONLY key! (then change the locks! muahahahahahaha)

sorry, that wasn't at all helpful. tbh i don't know why I'M replying at all, i have no experience in this matter.

sorry for wasting your time, and good luck!
Redemption
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Straight away, keeps them on there toes..
An evaluative response.
99p And A Flake
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just don't say it during or immediately after sex ... could come across as insincere lol. If she says it first and you do feel it, then go for it!
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hear post-coital declarations are popular...
Ili
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahaha that phrase is completely overrated.

Just say it when you're ready. If she says it too soon, then say something nice in return. Surely there shouldn't be any pressure to say "I love you" back.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 99p And A Flake)
Just don't say it during or immediately after sex ... could come across as insincere lol. If she says it first and you do feel it, then go for it!
In a similar vein, never kiss someone in a cinema when the people on screen are kissing, it makes you look overly horny/unimaginative/impressionable
forgottenromeo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Say it when you mean it.
Darty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
I hear post-coital declarations are popular...
Amen.
Desperate Prayer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Difficult question! Ive always struggled with this.

I think it depends on how long it takes you to really, honestly mean it when you say it. Ive never fell into real love with anyone in under... lets see... 3 months.
Its sort of usually...a very very close friendship up until that point, if that makes sense?

I think up until your sure, its always best to keep it to "I really like you", unless you have a particularly amazing day together, or (as so often happens in my case!) you get swept up by your emotions and cannot stop yourself!

There are not massive reasons to be to easy with the use of - or to overcautious with - this simple phrase. Just be careful not to say it to soon to a someone who is quite flighty, or use it when you dont believe what you are saying at all. Its okay to say it and find you are wrong however. This cannot be helped.

Take heart that people can usually tell if you mean it. Usually.
london07
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you feel the same when she says it, say it back
if she says it, she obviously isnt gona get scared or anything if you say it back.

but if you don't feel the same just wait.
Peanut42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Dont want to say it too soon but at same time I wont/dont mean it competly.

I love everyone I date, but im not in true love just love being with them and the way they make me feel.

Just like I love my brother and my dog etc.
I think that pretty much says it all. You don't love her. So don't say it. End of.
Scarletwings92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there no real time to say it just say it when it feels right...also if you don't hesitate a lot it usually means that your ready to say it as well^_^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.2%
No - but I will (41)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (280)
46.51%

Watched Threads