Introductions Watch

stadev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should turn round and say you're turning down the offer for Thames Valley University instead. That would be fun.
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get that too although now when ever I go to work I get asked when do you start??? And usually its people sneaking up behind me. So I stuck a sheet of paper on to my labcoat it said "I start in OCTOBER, and it is Somerville NOT SOMERFIELD"
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Today, I was treated to another example of the local response to saying you're at Oxford: "Oh, Oxford Brookes?"
ixivxivi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by North)
i just say I'm going down south and then everyone forgets to ask me what uni I'm going to and ****s of the english/gets offended that I'm leaving scotland
Yes! I was just coming in to post that! Exactly the same, it's brilliant, the one good thing about scottish scary anti-englishism .
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
WhenI told my hairdresser I was studying Medicine at Oxford, she asked: "Oh, didn't you get into any universities closer to home?"

Later, she said, "My daughter's at Edge Hill. Why didn't you go there? I hear it's good for Law. Did you not get in?"

This is why I hate going to the hairdresser's.
This is one of the many great things about being male - it's completely expected for me to give terse answers, let the conversation die and just grunt approval when the hairdresser asks "is half an inch off OK?" :p:
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rkd)
This is one of the many great things about being male - it's completely expected for me to give terse answers, let the conversation die and just grunt approval when the hairdresser asks "is half an inch off OK?" :p:
This speaks to the very heart of what is good and proper in masculinity. And not just at the hairdressers--I'd like to extend this to include all social settings.

My mother cuts my hair, by the way.
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
I'm starting Oxford in October and ever since I got accepted I've found that whenever I get introduced to someone new it gets mentioned within at least two minutes! I didn't mind at first because I was rather proud of myself, but now that I've realized that Oxford really is 'just another university' and that it's not that big a deal, it's getting rather frustrating. I just feel like I'm being judged on the fact that I got into a good university rather than my actual personality, am I right to find this annoying?

Does anyone else get this - and dislike it? Does it still happen to current students too? I'm rather tempted to tell people that I'm going to get a degree from McDonalds instead just to get some peace.
I know what you mean. Just yesterday I got introduced to somebody at work as "This is David, our resident genius - he's going to Oxford."

(Original post by martin101)
Dont worry youre not alone. There isnt much you can do about it really. Its even worse for me being a medic because once they hear it, they instantly assume Im a doctor!
I know! I get exactly the same, and I'm not even there yet. It's always like "come back and ask me in six years, and I probably won't know then either."
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rudrax)
(The Cambridge don't have a thread like this so I'm intruding :p:)

My experience is slightly different, when I told family and friends I'd got an offer from Cambridge, their first response was "Why didn't you apply to Oxford?"
lol, I agree with them

Also, for example there was the headmaster with someone who will probably take over the school in a few years at a class meeting, I was the only one introduced, with my name and offer for university :rolleyes:
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
I'm starting Oxford in October and ever since I got accepted I've found that whenever I get introduced to someone new it gets mentioned within at least two minutes! I didn't mind at first because I was rather proud of myself, but now that I've realized that Oxford really is 'just another university' and that it's not that big a deal, it's getting rather frustrating. I just feel like I'm being judged on the fact that I got into a good university rather than my actual personality, am I right to find this annoying?

Does anyone else get this - and dislike it? Does it still happen to current students too? I'm rather tempted to tell people that I'm going to get a degree from McDonalds instead just to get some peace.
Oh, what I'd give to be in your situation.

Its a bit like the Monty Python sketch in Life of Brian when Brian is thrown in the prison cell and encounters the prisoner in a much worse situation than he is even though "Bwian" (Biggus Dickus lol) thinks he's got the rough end of the stick. Sometimes I dream just of the faint possibility of being spat in the face.

I'm the prisoner in chains who won't get an interview.
Stephanie08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My cunning technique is to say 'Oxford' and not say which subject; that is always their next question, so then we discuss that instead.
Q.E.D
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wish that worked...I get the same 'wow' reaction when I say classics; people think that just coz they haven't studied it, it must be hard...
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stephanie08)
My cunning technique is to say 'Oxford' and not say which subject; that is always their next question, so then we discuss that instead.
:no: Never worked for me. They either refused to be distracted by me not mentioning the subject and proceed to go "OXFORD!" :eek: or ask me what the subject is, wonder why the hell I'm doing Music when I could do something sensible like Medicine or Law () and end up thinking "Oh but she's doing it at OXFORD!"
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
More than once when I've told someone I'm at Oxford I've been asked if it's on some kind of sport scholarship! Bah!
Franc Vouloir
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
These sort of introductions are annoying, but probably much less so than what would happen if you missed your offer; in my case, having to tell the entirety of Suffolk. It was a good incentive during the exam period, at any rate.
anniexingyan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rudrax)
(The Cambridge don't have a thread like this so I'm intruding :p:)

My experience is slightly different, when I told family and friends I'd got an offer from Cambridge, their first response was "Why didn't you apply to Oxford?"
My experience is that I'd say I do biochemistry first then I might say "Oxford" if someone asks me. Then their reaction is that "Oh, then why not Cambridge for science?"
Q.E.D
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Franc Vouloir)
These sort of introductions are annoying, but probably much less so than what would happen if you missed your offer; in my case, having to tell the entirety of Suffolk. It was a good incentive during the exam period, at any rate.
Have to say, am more than a little worried about the embarrassment that will follow from that if I miss the grades...
Tyraell
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Q.E.D)
I wish that worked...I get the same 'wow' reaction when I say classics; people think that just coz they haven't studied it, it must be hard...
Yeah, I get the same problem. That, and I tell somebody I'm going to do medicine and I inevitably get the "Oh great - Dr. - maybe you can help me with my bad [knee/ back/ gonorrhea] which has been bothering me".

Was funny for the first half a dozen times or so...
Q.E.D
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tyraell)
Yeah, I get the same problem. That, and I tell somebody I'm going to do medicine and I inevitably get the "Oh great - Dr. - maybe you can help me with my bad [knee/ back/ gonorrhea] which has been bothering me".

I never really understood that; you are going to study medicine; you haven't studied it already...why ask you now...'tis a bit strange...
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tyraell)

Yeah, this will happen when you're at Oxford, too - lay friends will often ask your opinion on their totally random symptoms. The first three years at Oxford are essentially a science course anyway, and you'd expect fellow Oxford students to know that, or at the very least to have the common sense to understand that you're in no way qualified to help them. That said, after 1st BM you should have odd bits of clinically relevant knowledge which you can sometimes use to reassure people - like me trying to persuade my elderly uncle to take his prescribed antibiotics and statins by explaining roughly how they work. And finally, IIRC, it's against GMC (?) rules for a medical student to cross the line from "titbits of relevant information" into "this is definitely what's wrong with you, here is some concrete advice", and if you're halfway responsible you'll observe that anyway.

In short: people really are idiots for expecting you to offer advice on their gonorrhoea (or knee, or back ).

Final thought: having just finished my 3rd year of Oxford medicine, I can honestly say that I only know two things about gonorrhoea. One, in the olden days, mums with gonorrhoea could give their kids eye infections during childbirth, and that was treated with silver drops, I think. Two, one of my lecturers did some really interesting comparative genomics, looking at what makes Neisseria gonorrhoeae different from other Neisseria spp., and he found that lots of things that had been labelled as virulence factors weren't at all. Good old pre-clinical science.
lavalse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey i have this problem all the time (im going to cambridge though). i never know what to do. it really bothers me that there are so many preconceived ideas of cambridge, and that people make assumptions about you based on them.

this thread has given me some ideas of how to handle the situation though. focus on my subject rather than uni!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads