The new Jews on the block Watch

Poll: Are Muslims the "new Jews of Europe"?
Yes (46)
36.51%
No (74)
58.73%
Don't know (6)
4.76%
Arteta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hahaha that's taking things too far, like the Jews? I can't help but feel they want to be victims. I don't really see any hate for them these days, apart from random chavs who say racist things...other than that I never see any victimisation. Yet people are always complaining.
Like with the whole dog advert thing, that never would have occured to me...but somehow some Muslim person decided that it was racist...I never even noticed it until that, it's like people are looking for things to offend them.
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Overeacting again.
Poops
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course Muslims are not the new Jews. There is a fundamental difference between anti-Semitism and Islamaphobia. Anti-Semitism is simply groundless racism based solely on the fact that a person is Jewish. Islamaphobia is a kind of fear of Muslim extremism and the impact it has on society, hence "phobia". It is provoked by the minority of extremists, whilst anti-Semitism is not.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think we are a ridiculously hypocritical society. Whilst we seem rather assured of our own superiority when it comes to tolerance, in reality it is acceptable to be a bigot so long as you stick to disliking the bogeyman de jour.

Yes, Islamophobia does fall into this category.
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah. Little media madness is obviously equal to genocide.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I think we are a ridiculous hypocritical society. Whilst we seem rather assured of our own superiority when it comes to tolerance, in reality it is acceptable to be a bigot so long as you stick to disliking the bogeyman de jour.

Yes, Islamophobia does fall into this category.
QFT.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What I want to know is when did people forget that words have no intrinsic meaning?

Be it some anti-Semitic Arabs claiming they can't be anti-Semitic because they're Semites or be it Islamophobic English people claiming there's nothing wrong with being Islamophobic because fearing extremist Muslims is sensible and proper.
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paxdax)
No. Unlike the Jews, the Muslims are creating lots of law to protect them from criticism. (I'm not saying the Jews were 'criticised')
What like the holocaust denial laws? ho ho ho
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by supernova2)
I think that's to prevent it happening again more than anything.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
I think that's to prevent it happening again more than anything.
That's a load of *******s and you know it.
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
jews of europe?! **** that! they got the police to apologize because they didn't like puppies!
zippz
Report 10 years ago
Okay.So due to this being a 'muslim' thread I know many people will criticise muslims-fair enough I mean some are bad but yet again this needs to be understood NOT ALL.

and for those that will post racist comments attacking muslims-take a look at yourslves first.
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by supernova2)
I don't agree with them at all. But atleast they have a cause to be there. 6 millions Jew were, after all, exterminated. And they don't prevent criticising Jews, or Israel (which it has been). If even half that criticism would be put on the Muslim countries, there'd be a self-righteous outcry and threats of violence.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
anyone please? thanks!
urbandervish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see that the lowest common denominator has already been used, "9/11," "They want to destroy/kill the west." basing centuries old demonisation on a single incident? How about commemorating Tuesday 15th July this month as the 909th anniversary of when the Crusades first captured Jerusalem and slaughtered over 80,000 Muslims ~ four centuries later Jerusalem had fallen to the Muslims, guess what? there wasn't a single loss of life.

Regardless of what characteristic or traits we're looking for here ~ as with all bogeymen Jews, Blacks etcetera the idea that Muslims who ploughed planes into the twin towers and started a hate campaign against the West overnight so the whole world becomes antagonistic toward Muslims ... is a game that's been played quite badly at the moment I'm afraid. People are begining to see straight through this little charade.

For the hawks, disorder and chaos sweeping through the region would not be an unfortunate side-effect of war with Iraq, but a sign that everything is going according to plan. Source

^ No, but that's just plain silly isn't it! :rolleyes: [sarcasm]. So, how many theories can we put forward, and in the same breath, how many counter arguments? Blaming each other of the same propaganda? Is it going to be "Eurabia: The Euro~Arab Axis, Bat Ye'or," or, "The International Jew:and the abridged version of the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion"?

There are quite a lot of parallels as to how our media is demonising Muslims today. See how the rabidly anti~Semitic newspaper Der Sturmer [owned by the Nazi Julius Streicher] portrayed heinous caricatures of generic Hasidic Jews with lit bomb fuses poking out of their long coats ... a rapacious fiend out to take over Germany & Europe, pitted agaisnt "western values." Der Ewige Jude ~ 'The Eternal Jew,' a pseudo~documentary anti~Semitic Nazi propaganda film directed by Geert Wilders Fritz Hippler. No difference?

As we've witnessed, such demonisation has its greatest parallel in the anti~Semitic propaganda that took hold between the First and Second World Wars. Many of the charges directed against the Jewish community are now echoed by Islamophobic rhetoric, smearing a whole religious minority as dangerous and subversive aliens who don't integrate, who are evil terrorists, are taking over our culture, nay, Europe, the world, the universe. Eerily, most of the anti~Muslim propaganda is being promoted by the same crowd who helped spin the web of lies about Iraq's WMDs .

Also, we seem to have a very short memory. The then Foreign Secretary Jacob Stravinsky aka Jack Straw although candid, he did admit that "Britain was to blame for many of the world's crisis in Afghanistan, Kashmir, Palestine, Iraq and West Africa." Richard Beeston ~ Diplomtic Editor, The Times, 'Britain to blame for many world problems, says Straw,' 15 November, 2002. Where do we begin? :rolleyes:

Don't forget folks! Salah ad~Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub recaptured Jerusalem at the Battle of Hattin on this very day! [4th July 1187 CE]
8:30 Al~Anfal

DrunkHamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Urban Dervish, I'm quite convinced that you're crazy. Not sure about sectionable, but certainly crazy.
urbandervish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrunkHamster)
Urban Dervish, I'm quite convinced that you're crazy. Not sure about sectionable, but certainly crazy.

You mean to say that you don't understand sarcasm? if I remember well, it was you who posted a link to a site that used humour and parody calling the Green Party a sinister global conspiracy etcetera ... admittedly you were quite serious about this. I'll find that post in a bit.
urbandervish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=80

The Samizdata people are a bunch of sinister and heavily armed globalist illuminati who seek to infect the entire world with the values of personal liberty and several property. Amongst our many crimes is a sense of humour and the intermittent use of British spelling.
... and you thought it was a genuine link :rofl:
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by urbandervish)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=80

... and you thought it was a genuine link :rofl:
You dont accept PM's
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most of my muslim friends feel alienated in the western world. And you can't blame them, it's not their fault; but the Media's fault. They portray muslims are wild fanatics who are dangerous and complain about everything! This is far from the case, if there are muslims like this, then surely they are a minute minority, because my muslim friends have said to me that they've never met any muslims like the wacky ones shown on the media, and the muslim community is much closer than any other's I've seen.

Surely this has got to count for something.

By the way, I do believe that muslims are being targeted. Whenever a muslim does something wrong, or that can be seen wrong, they are named as a muslim in the media. I mean, I don't see "Victim stabbed by Christian hooligan", or "Christians furious over school shut down". Instead it would be something like "People/parents furious over school shut down" or "Teenager lunatic stabs innocent child". However, the media will try to assosiate Islam and muslims with violence and anything else that can give muslims a bad reputation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
38.03%
No - but I will (53)
7.25%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (347)
47.47%

Watched Threads