I donot drink advisable to attend freshers week or not ????????????? Watch

faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by life is beautiful)
Hey thanks lol u made my day cause i always worry about my Uni choice i blame myself for not working hard during my sixthform to get into much better Uni than this

Ps haha sorry i donto have a clue what thta italian movie is about. i named my self just simply
Ah, you shouldn't worry -- I did (because I wanted to go to Oxford as opposed to Manchester), it's not good for your health. In truth, the people who have done very well have largely been set-up from a young age to do well (i.e. their parents understood 'the system, pushed them to work and made sure that they went to good schools). Don't blame yourself for being lazy at sixth-form, it's easy to be like that -- just work hard at uni, if you want to prove yourself: a good grade from Kingston is very worthwhile having.

Cool. I can't speak Italian btw -- watched it in subtitles! Good username anyway.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd just go regardless if you drink or not. You won't be the only person there who doesn't drink, plus it's a great way of getting to know your hallmates better, meeting new people and joining societies.
thyssen1207
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drinking is only a part of the Freshers Experience. I don't drink that much and I am a very lightweight (although I can be a pisshead sometimes).

Remember, the majority of Freshers Week is all about meeting new people.
$loth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. Go to bar
2. Order coke/orange juice
3. Say it has vodka in it if you want when questioned/ tell them you don't drink alcohol.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Choosing not to go to Freshers' Week would be the worst decision you ever made in your life. Just don't drink. I drink quite a lot, but just as often I choose not to drink. Who even cares what you're drinking?
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If u mean the clubbing part of fresher's week, avoid it if can be done. Theres no need to go and its not much like its hyped up to be/ wasnt for me anyway. U dont need to go clubbing at uni to make new friends, I know plenty of ppl who dont drink who made lots of friends and they didnt go clubbing. But if ur accomodation is in halls, I advise u move into halls at fresher's week or earlier, that way get familar with ppl you will be living with.

Best wishes
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Er... being plastered in Freshers' Week isn't really ideal. As a result, I don't remember half of it and managed to make an arse of myself quite a bit.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Er... being plastered in Freshers' Week isn't really ideal. As a result, I don't remember half of it and managed to make an arse of myself quite a bit.
At least you provided lots of entertainment for your peers (I would imagine).
*anon*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im not a heavy drinker at all and couldnt imagine myself going out all night, every night lol. im sure people won't mind what ever you choose to do, and yeah im sure there are lots of stuff to do that dont involve drink
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Red Bull = Non-lethal alcohol replacement. Just don't get addicted to it, it messes with your head!
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Looking at freshers week from my uni last year, it looked like all the important stuff was in the day and then it was more drinking at night. I don't want to go out and drink though.
laura-rad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go! as everyone is saying you don't have to drink and it's a good time to get to know people and join things before classes start and the such.
<3 Caterpillar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
me and my cousin have a slight allegy to alcohol.. (i drink anyway even though i get horid raasshes!)
My cousin doesnt though.. hes a year older than me and eventhough he doesnt drink he rates freshers week as one of the best weeks of his life!
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really drink either but when faced with this issue of having to go to a bar/pub I usually just drink coke. It does me!
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Were there always that many question marks in the topic?
fredscarecrow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chooka)
As long as you are not a shy natured person it will be fine.
...awesome.

There will be other people not drinking. Yes, there will be people going out and getting slaughtered every night, but that doesn't mean you have to feel bad about not drinking. Just don't miss out on an important week because of it; last thing you want is for everyone else to have bonded before you turn up.
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On a similar point, are people going to think its weird that I don't like clubbing? Im a social person, but clubbing just isn't my cup of tea.
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Urgh, looks like i'm gonna be having a sober freshers also; i seem to have developped an intolerance to alcohol recently (i have more than 1 unit of anything and feel overheated, dizzy ,nauseous) ah well, fewer calories in diet coke No freakin' WAY am i missing out on Freshers though. I tend to find that if you're sober/on a red bull/coke high around drunkeners, you tend to loosen up and have a good time anyway; not like they're gonna be in any state to remember and judge you the next morning
Persipan
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
During Freshers' Week you'll find there's a lot of important stuff happening that you really need to attend in order to deal with - stuff relating to your course, for example. There are also bound to be some things you'll want to go along to - for instance, finding out about societies and joining the ones you're interested in. You'll also have tons of chances to get to know people - skip the week, and you'd probably find that everyone seems to know one another already and you'd be left feeling left out. Plus, if you're going into Halls, there's almost certainly a clause somewhere in the fine print of your accommodation agreement that says if you don't turn up within the first few days, they can give your room to someone else - not ideal! So, if what you're asking is "should I just turn up a week later than everyone else?" then I would answer with a resounding no.

If, on the other hand, what you're asking is "do I have to get involved in all the stuff that involves getting completely pissed?" then no, you don't. Go along and don't drink alcohol, if you don't want to. Or, just skip that side of things altogether. It's not a big deal. Lots of students don't drink - for religious or medical reasons, or 'cos they just plain don't want to - and that's fine. I don't drink, and it's never been an issue - actually, it meant I always had more money than everyone else!

If you're really worried, why not contact the SU at your uni and ask them what kind of events will be running that dont involve alcohol? And, if you have ideas for alcohol-free welcome events, then why not get involved in running things next year?
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Increasingly student unions are putting on alcohol-free events. I mean I wouldn't go myself, but there'll be people like you, and you can make some friend who you can hang out with in places other than pubs.

MB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise