I feel like **** if I don't go to the gym every other day! Watch

Peter North
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cuddy)
eDDeboo, do you do bench squat and deadlift more than once per week? Not good unless you take steroids!

lol whut
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have recently just started going to the gym and have found im pretty addicted to it. I have only been going a week or so but I am going on holiday at the start of september and so have kind of a time limit so plan to go about 5 times a week, is this bad or is rest essential? Also I want to be more toned and look in great shape for my holiday, I wondered is 2 months a realistic time scale to achieve my target?
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
5 times is fine. Whether you'll be ready in time depends at what stage your at and at what stage you want to be at. Realistically its pretty hard to get into great shape in such a short amount of time but there will be decent visible differences if you stick to it for the 2 months.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)
I dead lift once a week, sometimes twice if I'm feeling up for it. Bench every other day. 20 rep squat set, I leave 2 days rest in between.

Although I had to take a forced break a few days ago to make sure I'd fully recovered before benching again
You 20 rep squat every time u squat? :confused:
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Herr Stamper)
You 20 rep squat every time u squat? :confused:
Up until my last two sessions where I decided to do a much higher weight and do 2 sets of 10
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wish I had the stamina to exercise more than twice a week. Haha.
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by supernova2)
5 times is fine. Whether you'll be ready in time depends at what stage your at and at what stage you want to be at. Realistically its pretty hard to get into great shape in such a short amount of time but there will be decent visible differences if you stick to it for the 2 months.
Im not over weight I justwould like flatter more toned abs and toned legs etc. So I imagine the cardio would help to lose whatever body fat is needed to be lost before any muscle can be seen. So you think 2 months wont be long enough or if not how long if I go 5 times a week before I would notice a difference?
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Up until my last two sessions where I decided to do a much higher weight and do 2 sets of 10
You'll mess with your CNS 20 rep squatting every time anyway (if your doing them properly) so smart move to drop them. Ive read recommendations to do them once a month.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think if you're smart about it you can do it more frequently, like running such a program for a couple of months before cycling off. Only doing them once per month is too conservative IMO, if you're going to do them at all.
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
I can't go to the gym today as I am working, so will go tomorrow meaning I would have had a 2 day break and it makes me feel like ****! Anyone else feel the same if they miss a gym session by a day or two?
Yes. I go 6 times a week.
dreadnaut
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didnt go for 2 months (best part of) because of exam revision and I feel so **** now. Ive lost weight and about 20% strength, but it gives me some drive as I know where I was, and can improve again.

Its something to do over the summer. Ive spent the last 2 weeks sat on my arse, sleeping in till 3pm and up till 3am.....unless I go out and sleep like a baby from 9pm
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I try not to go more than 2 or 3 days in a row to the gym... I do different things usually though for example monday - cardio, tues - weights, weds - cardio then a break... I find it hard to do 2 cardio days in a row but you definately get a natural high afterwards and even the next day sometimes!
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hayles101)
Im not over weight I justwould like flatter more toned abs and toned legs etc. So I imagine the cardio would help to lose whatever body fat is needed to be lost before any muscle can be seen. So you think 2 months wont be long enough or if not how long if I go 5 times a week before I would notice a difference?
I think you would notice a difference after 2 months. Its just getting in 'great' shape usually takes longer than that. Depends what you mean by great I suppose!
Neo-Classicist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Herr Stamper)
You'll mess with your CNS 20 rep squatting every time anyway (if your doing them properly) so smart move to drop them. Ive read recommendations to do them once a month.
I can't see the point in doing 20 rep squats at all. If your goals are either strength or hypertrophy, then it's sub-optimal, and then there's the question of safety. Too often your form will drop towards the end of a set and with squats, in particular, you run the risk of injury.

Not worth it.
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by supernova2)
I think you would notice a difference after 2 months. Its just getting in 'great' shape usually takes longer than that. Depends what you mean by great I suppose!
Hmm well I have a little more fat than I would like around my stomach and hips, I would like this gone so my stomach is flatter and just be all round fitter. I know im not going to have a perfectly toned wash board stomach in only 2 months, but could the flatter stomach and trimmer waist be achieved in just 2 months, working very hard going to the gym 5 times a week and avoidy fatty foods etc?
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't go to the gym on consecutive days really, I don't know how some of you do it. In my current routine I'm always in a session doing one of bench press, squats or deadlifts, and when I hit them hard and satisfyingly, I have no will to workout until I've recovered for a day. So I always just do every other day
Neo-Classicist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hayles101)
I know im not going to have a perfectly toned wash board stomach in only 2 months, but could the flatter stomach and trimmer waist be achieved in just 2 months, working very hard going to the gym 5 times a week and avoidy fatty foods etc?
Avoid processed food.
Eat more fruit and veg.
Eat more protein.
Swap white bread/pasta/rice for brown/wholemeal.
Eat everything in moderation.

Good diet + exercise = =]
eDDeboo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Neo-Classicist)
I can't see the point in doing 20 rep squats at all. If your goals are either strength or hypertrophy, then it's sub-optimal, and then there's the question of safety. Too often your form will drop towards the end of a set and with squats, in particular, you run the risk of injury.

Not worth it.
I keep my form perfect, and sometimes I'll just do a 3/4 squat on the 16th rep and stand for a bit to catch my breath for a good 30 seconds before finishing off.

My starter gains from it were been phenomenal doing it every other day and adding 2.5kg each time
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Neo-Classicist)

Not worth it.
Its debatable really, ive gained size from high rep squatting (35-50rep) aswell as sticking to the 5 rep range. But like you said you run the risk of injury and you'd be an idiot to try 20rep squats without a spotter.
I think it would be wrong to totally dismiss 20rep squats as you have done.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I keep my form perfect, and sometimes I'll just do a 3/4 squat on the 16th rep and stand for a bit to catch my breath for a good 30 seconds before finishing off.

My starter gains from it were been phenomenal doing it every other day and adding 2.5kg each time
What % of your 1rm are were you using?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed