Jay Z - Planning a Come Back . . . . .to Glastonbury!? . . Watch

roots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasty)
A hip-hop stage, that could easily work.
...but would Jay Z come for anything less than headlining?
Probably not

Hip Hop stage you could have the roots, de la soul, wu tang, busta rhymes, lauryn hill, blackstar, lupe, ludacris
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasty)
A hip-hop stage, that could easily work.
...but would Jay Z come for anything less than headlining?
Probably, I mean he didn't just come to England to play at Glastonbury, theres a number of other festivals hes performing at. Depends if he thinks hes "too good" to not be headlining; if thats the case he shouldn't be there anyway.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Jay Z was quality, id love to see 50 cent there, just to see him get absolutely mocked by the crowd and him reacting to it, would be hilarious lol
TheLandOfNorwegia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
apart from jay z and kanye west, which hip hop acts would you like to see at glastonbury in the future?
If some sort of Hip-Hop stage where to be arranged, or one of the current stages used for it then I would prefer they didn't fill it with generic ****e. Real music, artists from Chicago seem to be in general very good. I woild prefer people like Common or Talib Kweli. They would be quite hard to pull over, so some lesser known artists would be acceptable.
Unfortunately i get the impression that wouldn't be popular enough and we would have to listen to Lil wayne and the like.
TheLandOfNorwegia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
Probably not

Hip Hop stage you could have the roots, de la soul, wu tang, busta rhymes, lauryn hill, blackstar, lupe, ludacris
This man speaks sense
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasty)
I thought she was a lot better, AND apparently she had a slightly bigger audience, some drifted away when Jay Z came on.
You think someone who was out of tune, forgetting the lyrics and making a complete fool of herself was better than someone who was clearly on top of their game?
Hasty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Devel)
You think someone who was out of tune, forgetting the lyrics and making a complete fool of herself was better than someone who was clearly on top of their game?
Yeah.
Can't stand his style of "music".
dreadnaut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I usually dont like hiphop, but then its probably 'cause of the 50cents/G Units of the world ...I mean Ive always liked a few hiphop artists - Jay Z, Dre, Ludacris.....

JayZ's set at Glastonbury was pretty amazing, it makes sense to have such a good artist perform again, anyone can tell hes clearly a pillar of modern music, regardless of if you like that stuff or not
kaytee.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'd wouldnt mind seeing jay-z at glastonbury some time, defintely not next yr though. did anyone see lupe fiasco's performance on the jazz world stage? now theres a possible headliner in a few years to come.
btw, what was with mark ronson's trousers on that video?! they were half way up his legs lol
S
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think a hip hop stage would be good but they should break it in slowly and not have full on hip hop right away. For example, we could have the likes of N.E.R.D, Gym Class Heroes and Mark Ronson on the hip hop stage because a lot of people are already familiar with them. Not many people will have heard of someone like Ghostface Killah.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quality.
Guy Secretan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nooooooooooooooooo
couture_kid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally i don't think there should be a "hip hop" stage. Hip hop artists should be able to... and have the right to play on the same stages as other bands.

Regardless of if you like the hip hop genre or not, one can clearly see (if you are open minded) that Jay Z gave a better performance overall than Amy Winhouse. Think outside the box rather than just thinking that Jay Z wasn't that good becuase his genre of music is "hip hop."

As for Kanye West performing, it would have been interesting - i mean, he's really quite arrogant. To say Kanye is more talented than Jay Z is crazy, and im sure Kanye himself would also agree as he looks up to his "big brother" and wrote a whole song dedicated to Jay Z - i guess you'd only know that if you've heard Kanye's album, or if your a hip hop fan.

Other hip hop acts for glastonbury - Nerd, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Nas, Lil Wayne is really hot right now... album sales being crazy stateside yet i still think he doesn't have that rep over here in the UK
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Essence™)
I think a hip hop stage would be good but they should break it in slowly and not have full on hip hop right away. For example, we could have the likes of N.E.R.D, Gym Class Heroes and Mark Ronson on the hip hop stage because a lot of people are already familiar with them. Not many people will have heard of someone like Ghostface Killah.
Explain why you'd put 3 non hip-hop acts on a hip-hop stage?
bmh16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Looked like a rubbish line up this year. Apart from Jay-Z i thought everyone was bordering on average and nothing more. All the average bands which have never really done much to me are there and no really good bands!
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
I was at the front when Jay-Z was on this year and it was electric but I feel not because anyone really liked Jay-Z, just because people didn't like Noel Gallagher and wanted to stick one in the eye.

I think Michael Eavis should introduce a hip-hop stage, they have a dance field which is not something you think of when you think of Glastonbury and no-one really complains, I didn't go near the place except to walk through it on my way home.
Barça
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by couture_kid)
Personally i don't think there should be a "hip hop" stage. Hip hop artists should be able to... and have the right to play on the same stages as other bands.

Regardless of if you like the hip hop genre or not, one can clearly see (if you are open minded) that Jay Z gave a better performance overall than Amy Winhouse. Think outside the box rather than just thinking that Jay Z wasn't that good becuase his genre of music is "hip hop."

As for Kanye West performing, it would have been interesting - i mean, he's really quite arrogant. To say Kanye is more talented than Jay Z is crazy, and im sure Kanye himself would also agree as he looks up to his "big brother" and wrote a whole song dedicated to Jay Z - i guess you'd only know that if you've heard Kanye's album, or if your a hip hop fan.

Other hip hop acts for glastonbury - Nerd, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Nas, Lil Wayne is really hot right now... album sales being crazy stateside yet i still think he doesn't have that rep over here in the UK
He has to come! The best lyricist out there, extremely talented and doesnt spew crap like 50 cent.
S
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
Explain why you'd put 3 non hip-hop acts on a hip-hop stage?

You're wrong,

N.E.R.D is alternative hip hop and always has been.

Gym Class Heroes is also alternative hip hop, have a listen to the papercut chronicles.

Mark Ronson is one of the biggest hip hop producers out there, have a listen to "Here Comes The Fuzz". He's recently produced a track for Nas. He has always been involved in hip hop but it's only recently that he has crossed over.

There are many sub-genres of hip hop believe it or not.
kaytee.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
He has to come! The best lyricist out there, extremely talented and doesnt spew crap like 50 cent.
he was there this yr on the jazz world stage and he was really good, the crowd was huge too considering its only a small stage. i'd like to see him headlining
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Essence™)
You're wrong,

N.E.R.D is alternative hip hop and always has been.

Gym Class Heroes is also alternative hip hop, have a listen to the papercut chronicles.

Mark Ronson is one of the biggest hip hop producers out there, have a listen to "Here Comes The Fuzz". He's recently produced a track for Nas. He has always been involved in hip hop but it's only recently that he has crossed over.

There are many sub-genres of hip hop believe it or not.
gym class heroes is too pop and alternative to be hip hop, rapping on a beat isnt instantly classed as hip hop

Yeah, Mark Ronson, his hip hop career is ignored, he actually makes his own beats when hes doing the hip hop thing and doesnt rip off others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDP-J...eature=related
nas ft busta rhymes - fried chicken produced by mark ronson
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads