What do I need to get in? Watch

FiveFiveSix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
**** you who think she doesn't have the grades. Look up city university as they do gaming courses. Take a look here:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...OLOGY&single=N
Who rattled your cage, clown?

Read the entire thread before spouting off, you institution escapee.
Sam Rawlings
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Well, you may not get onto a Uni course with those grades as such but not all is the end of the world. You could do an Open University course in which the entry requirements are far more diverse; my mum left school with D's, E's and U's and a few C's and now she has a 3rd class degree in Law. So the best thing to do at this stage is get hold of the Open University and explain your situation and the course you want to do. They are really understanding and you do your degree in your free time and at home.
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)

Dude, go get laid or something. At the moment I doubt the ladies won't be falling for the "poking your mates in the ribs and calling them humourless cretins" approach, so maybe get a bit more with it also

As for the OP, I agree with what most people have said. I admire your resolve, and wish you all the best. Going to college this coming year can only be seen as a step in the right direction, although it may be a bit disappointing that you're unable to go to university this year round...the year after, it'll all be worthwhile.

You could be a late bloomer in terms of academic potential (I know I am) and they seem to do very well on starting both university life and in their careers. Best of luck
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MuseValheru)
FiveFiveSix is correct within the IT industry it is more about past experience than qualifcations. I would suggest trying your hand at a college course, there is less pressure, less finantical commitment and its easier. Once you have attained a qualification within this area you can decide weather you would like to find a job or go to university, an extra year is nothing to a 22 year old, and it could change your life for the better. It will give you time to decide if this is really what you want without getting into huge amounts of debt.
Thats interesting. I read an article in the The Times recently which said a degree was essential for a career in IT.
MuseValheru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Thats interesting. I read an article in the The Times recently which said a degree was essential for a career in IT.
Thats rubbish, I have worked in the industry and if you look at any job adverts it will say:

Educated to degree standard or have 2 years experience in the sector.

I personally have two highly sort after IT qualifications and as an 18 year old beat over 200 candidates most with a degree to a position within local government.

Having gained experience within the sector I have learnt that people with degrees are taught the theory behind computing/networking and dont have any real hands on experience. When everything goes to pot its the people with a degree that dont know what to do and thus a degree is by no means essential for a career in IT
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
two words: ACCESS course.

if you find it too challenging, I (while I applaud your ambitions) would seriously advise you reconsider your plan to go to university. Be an IT apprentice or something because experience will take you much further than a degree. The learning curve would also be a little less steep. You wouldn't have to cope with all kinds of university-related rubbish.
acelib82
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I totally agree with the access course idea. Go back to college and do this for a year or spread over 2 years if you want. The college should be able to offer you some GCSE resits should you want to take them. Afterwards start to think about applying for your degree.

On a different note, I find some of the comments people have made in reply disgusting - all this person wanted was some help. I myself got some low GCSE grades donkey's years ago but I now have a 2:1 degree. Honestly, I don't know who some of you think you are!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

You aren't coming off as a person with any charm at all, I'm afraid.

Anyway OP don't despair, there are loads of options still avaible. You can always to uni and do A-levels or, if you aren't motivated to study subjects that may not be particularly relevant to your intended career (which your previous grades, unless taken at a time of severe mitigating circumstances, does suggest) there are BTEC and access courses available in the industry.€
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
You aren't coming off as a person with any charm at all, I'm afraid.

Anyway OP don't despair, there are loads of options still available. You can always go to uni and do A-levels or, if you aren't motivated to study subjects that may not be particularly relevant to your intended career (which your previous grades, unless taken at a time of severe mitigating circumstances, does suggest) there are BTEC and access courses available in the industry.€
Checklist:

Have I engaged fingers before reading further than the first post?
Have I actually added anything to the thread, or have I just compiled what several other posters have typed?

Oh, and by the way, what on earth leads you to believe my sole purpose on this forum is to charm people? Besides, the way you all bite as soon as I say a few rude words amuses me.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have I actually added anything to the thread, or have I just compiled what several other posters have typed?
Even if I wasn't particularly original in my post I was trying to be encouraging to the OP. A set of exams taken at 16 is not an indication of ability. Especially when their may have been mitigating circumstances or the student was at a crap school.

It was far more useful than your original contribution to the thread.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Even if I wasn't particularly original in my post I was trying to be encouraging to the OP. A set of exams taken at 16 is not an indication of ability. Especially when their may have been mitigating circumstances or the student was at a crap school.

It was far more useful than your original contribution to the thread.
I struggle to understand the mentality of a person that can make life-changing decisions based on advice and encouragement (or otherwise) from complete strangers on an anonymous internet forum. Granted, perhaps my original post was tongue-in-cheek, but someone's got to be the voice of dissent. If every bugger's telling him to go for a uni place, it gets rather boring... Besides, I think my subsequent post (as MuseValhera seems to know what he's talking about and agrees with me) was marginally more useful.

A sense of humour! A sense of humour! My kingdom for a sense of humour!

:rolleyes:
Keva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Cheers guys for the advice given and am looking at taking an access course I know my grades are rubbish but that can be put down to too much dicking about in school.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck & I wish you all the best with that.
Keva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
One question..

The access course offered by my local college - Link.

Doesnt offer a Maths module. Will I have to take a seperate GCSE resit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads