64-Bit Vista Won't Boot with 4GB Watch

wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to www.crucial.com and it will tell you what ram you need and how much ram that your board can hold
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oooh, when was this vista update?
My vista computer hasn't been online for a month now!
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
Oooh, when was this vista update?
My vista computer hasn't been online for a month now!
BIOS upgrade is independent of the OS updates
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
From what I gather from crucial, the RAM is perfectly fine with the motherboard (unless you'd like to correct me?)

Chipset: nVidia nForce 650i SLI
Supported DRAM Types: DDR2 SDRAM only
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Graphics Support: Dual PCI Express x16, SLI capable
Max Component Density: 1024
USB Support: 2.x Compliant
240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-4200, PC2-5300, and PC2-6400
Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 8192MB
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules

Here's the RAM.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ddr, ddr2, ddr3 and SODIMM will not physically fit into a board that isnt designed for it.

Sure you can run ddr2 out of spec, but if the BIOS is reset it should be fine.

Doesnt explain why Vista for me BDSOs on boot with a 7300GT plugged in when it doesnt with either intergrated graphics or an 8800GTS 512 - when XP is perfectly happy with the 7300...
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, but I was just asking , as someone mentioned SP1 etc
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes loadmalz, thats bog standard RAM (as good goes)

Just check the timings in the BIOS are 5-5-5-18 or greater.
Threshold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you actually tested the RAM yet? You can't assume anything about your BIOS, or software, unless you know the memory isn't defective. Run Memtest86+ and let it do at least 3 full passes.
leeming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds like a hardware fault to me... nothing to do with OS unless when you boot up bios says there is xxxGB ram, and vista says less.
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loadmalz)
From what I gather from crucial, the RAM is perfectly fine with the motherboard (unless you'd like to correct me?)

Chipset: nVidia nForce 650i SLI
Supported DRAM Types: DDR2 SDRAM only
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Graphics Support: Dual PCI Express x16, SLI capable
Max Component Density: 1024
USB Support: 2.x Compliant
240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-4200, PC2-5300, and PC2-6400
Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 8192MB
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules

Here's the RAM.
did you do this yet?

(Original post by olileauk)
First thing, before you reinstall windows, is to check each stick of ram in each slot individually until you find the slot or stick of RAM that's faulty. also, the vista install disc has memtest on it: i highly recommend you run it.
Hedger
Rep:
?
did you do this yet?
Just got back from Subway, I'll try it now. But from what I know already: All the slots are fine(from using it since September til the upgrade) and the RAM is fine since it each one booted on their own.

EDIT: This is going to take longer than expected, I downloaded all of the updates for Microsoft (60 in total), shut down and it's been "Windows is configuring updates" for the past 5-10minutes :indiff:
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
still, run memtest, it's worth trying.
Kyle_S-C
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apparently you can get problems with Nvidia BIOS craziness changing settings when you stick two sticks in, or at least people have had trouble with the BIOS supplied with the nForce 780i: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...bsod-boot-help

Not entirely sure whether it's appropriate or whether you can solve it, but perhaps check that your RAM is definitely running at the right speed, CAS timings and voltages specified? Apparently (at the bottom of the thread I linked) one guy had to change his CAS timings from 5-9-9-32 to 5-5-5-18, turn the speed up from 800MHz to 1066MHz and tweak voltages when he put the second stick in...
Hedger
Rep:
?
still, run memtest, it's worth trying.
My windows install DVD doesn't havc a memory test :indiff:

According to google, loads of people are having the same problem :argh:
Threshold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you download and burn the 'ultimate boot cd', Memtest86+ is on there, along with all sorts of other useful things. It's a bootable CD, so it runs outside of your OS.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loadmalz)
My windows install DVD doesn't havc a memory test :indiff:

According to google, loads of people are having the same problem :argh:
it should have. =| that's crazy.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Yes!! I got it to boot!

I booted in Safe mode, went into msconfig, changed the boot options to Processors: 2 and memory: 4gb.

Only problem is, it's now telling me i'm only using 3.5Gig...
Hedger
Rep:
?
Now, this is ridiculous.

Just installed COD2, I play the game a little bit, I exit out of it and BOOM, my monitor doesn't support some mode the screen has gone into. What the hell am I supposed to do other than reset it? So... that's what I do.

Now, it won't boot into normal vista without it coming up in 'Does not support mode" and it won't boot safe mode without giving me "Configuring Updates". I'm coming close to the ****ing breaking point here. It's just getting stupid now. How many updates, with no ETA or timer, does it want to install; bearing in mind I haven't even asked for these useless updates.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Can you boot in "last known good configuration" mode?
Hedger
Rep:
?
Okay, Vista is done with me(well, it'll be getting relegated to one partition of the HDD for sure :p:). I'm going back to old school XP.

Just to make sure though, OEM software is the same as retail, right? You just get no manual, etc?

I'm buying either this or this. Which one is the most stable and quickest, whilst can also play all games? Should I buy the former of the two XPs, will my e8500 be able to to run 32-bit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads