Knife Crime Watch

Adam83
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it has been underreported for at least two decades. I welcome the media coverage this is now recieving.
andy5788
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Are you speaing metaphorically?
Nope. Many young people in urban areas feel (rightly or wrongly) they need one for protection. I was speaking literally.

et me guess... they commit 8 times more stabbings than they should because of their socioeconomic circumstances
Given that black people are far, far more likely to come from low SES groups you could probably make that case. I tend to think it's a bit of both, socioeconomic factors and an urban black culture that can tend to glorify violence. However, like someone's said knife use is a big problem in white working class areas of Glasgow. As such, to write it off as purely race or culture related is overly simplistic to my mind.
02mik_e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Half of you don't really understand what you are talking about. Most of you are like the Politicians in suits trying to tell a community of black how to get out of knife crime. I am Black myself and i do realise that it is a majority of Black people that are committing knife crime, but if you understand the backgrounds they come from, you'd be a lot more sympathetic towards their situation. For example how many white gangsters do you see in London? no much as most of them live comfortably, stable homes. The majority of black people who cause knife crime are from broken homes with unstable backgrounds, go and see some of the conditions that they live in. Take those flats in Elephant & Castle just look how run down they are. Because they face this dire situation they resort to "living by the knife" in order to try and find a way out, either by robbing someone or sadly killing them. I think the main problem lies within the black community itself. Instead of getting a white Politician in a suit, telling a black person how to run their lives, you need people like Tim Campbell, Shaun wright phillips and such to get into these communities and educate them, besides both of these two role models have had to struggle to get where they are today. I feel stop with the Politician and start trying to recruit some of the successful people who made it out of the broken homes. In order to lessen the extent at which knife crime is exploding beyond control, some form of legislation should be brought in, not the one cameron recommended because that in reality doesn't work, but perhaps a suspended sentence could be given, so at least they are warned.
Adam83
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i grew up in london.

why defend criminality. relative poverty is not an excuse
for crime if we live a country which believes
in the rule of law.
Withoutadoubt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bornstubborn)
Regarding job prospects they could enroll these kids on more vocational programs perhaps ibn building or engineering, rather than English class or Science. These kids do not perform well in academic environments but they could get a good job from vocational training.
You are abhorrent. Keeping them away from English in particular makes me feel there's a little something of the HG Wells about you.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 02mik_e)
Half of you don't really understand what you are talking about. Most of you are like the Politicians in suits trying to tell a community of black how to get out of knife crime. I am Black myself and i do realise that it is a majority of Black people that are committing knife crime, but if you understand the backgrounds they come from, you'd be a lot more sympathetic towards their situation. For example how many white gangsters do you see in London? no much as most of them live comfortably, stable homes. The majority of black people who cause knife crime are from broken homes with unstable backgrounds, go and see some of the conditions that they live in. Take those flats in Elephant & Castle just look how run down they are. Because they face this dire situation they resort to "living by the knife" in order to try and find a way out, either by robbing someone or sadly killing them. I think the main problem lies within the black community itself. Instead of getting a white Politician in a suit, telling a black person how to run their lives, you need people like Tim Campbell, Shaun wright phillips and such to get into these communities and educate them, besides both of these two role models have had to struggle to get where they are today. I feel stop with the Politician and start trying to recruit some of the successful people who made it out of the broken homes. In order to lessen the extent at which knife crime is exploding beyond control, some form of legislation should be brought in, not the one cameron recommended because that in reality doesn't work, but perhaps a suspended sentence could be given, so at least they are warned.
I'm sorry but the excuse of deprevation can only take you so far. If we assume that all black people in London live in the worst deprevation then that's 10% of the population. They account for 80% of knife crime roughly. There are at least if not more white people living in the same deprevation so why do they account for so much less violent crime? As it stands lower class blacks have a higher chance than whites to go to uni. Also, as conditions improve in these areas crime has steadily gone up, surely it would go down? And lastly, if it is deprevation and not mentality that leads people to crime why are females so much less involved than males? Perhaps if people like yourselves stopped given them excuses, telling them how they're down trodden, they would pull their socks up like the asians and make it out of their poor circumstances. This isn't America afterall.
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pffftttt....

It's all been blown out of proportion by the media anyway.

It must be remembered that when Mr Smith chops his finger off at home cutting carrots for his beef stew, it is declared a "knife related incident", included in the government's "knife crime" statistics.

Good debate though.
ldn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I think the statistics are that 76% of all stabbings in London are on black people, and 79% are suspects. This is a disproportional amount of murders considering they account for only 10% of London as a whole. Let me guess... they commit 8 times more stabbings than they should because of their socioeconomic circumstances:rolleyes: .

I think the first step in taking down the numbers of stabbings is to stop over reporting the times when people get stabbed. As it stands teenagers think there is a high chance of being stabbed, when in fact the chances are very low indeed. However with this fear comes the need to protect yourself, and so in over reporting the press is swelling the number of people who use knives and the viscious cycle will continue until knife crime stops selling newspapers.
There is a higher chance of being stabbed in london,there have been plenty of stabbings which havnt been reported on the news,but i guess it depends where you live
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed