Amitriptyline.. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
I got prescribed it for pain relief too a while ago, didn't help though. It can be used for many different things, when my GP heard I had tried it he said it was such a low dosage (10mg) that its not really that surprising it made no difference (and nothing else had worked). 150mg is what is generally used for depression if I recall correctly, for most other things much less is used

And nope, its not at all addictive in small quantities. I didn't suffer from any side effects either! Very common prescription drug.
Chrisofsmeg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by love2learn)
Hey, I got prescribed it to try and help moderade sleep (I have ME), so yeah, it's used for things other than depression. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I was told, it's not as adictive in small quantities as something like Prozac for example.
Just like to make clear, this is a point, I'm NOT saying you're wrong, so please don't have a go at me. More misinformed.

Antidepressants are NOT addictive, in the slightest. Not tricyclics, not SSRI's, and, to the best of my knowledge, not MAOIs either. Addiction is where you crave the drug. When they have been in your blood stream for a while, it's difficult to come off of them. This is because you are used to the effects of them, and when you don't get those effects anymore, obviously, your body is going to miss them, so you'll probably end up getting less sleep, or your migraines may come back for example. This is dependance, or a synonym of that at least.

As varied example. Somebody with diabetes might have to take insulin, that doesn't mean they're addicted to it. It means they're dependant on it, otherwise they're pancreas shuts up shop.

No, I'm not a medic, but I'm prescribed opioid painkillers, benzodiazepines and antidepressants, so believe me, I'm well aware of the difference between, addiction, dependance, and also tolerance. Tbh, I know far more than I'd like to, but there you go!

Also OP, when I was on tricyclics (I had lofepramine for depression assosciated with anxiety) the only side effects that were noticable were a dry mouth and constipation. These are the most common side effects, I believe.

Hope I've helped, OP.

And honestly, love2learn, I wasn't having a go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise