Err Driving Without Insurance... Watch

JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by james99)
Just checked this out on confused.com cos I was interested. Found a Morris Minor for £950 on autotrader, can be insured for £618 (or about £300 with 2 years NCB). Not bad at all! Don't know what they're like to drive though, heh.
Slow but they have a lot of character.

Top speed (without doing damage to the engine) is around 75mph although I have had one up to 96mph which goosed the big end bearings in short order.

Leather seats, no radio, heaters are optional extra's, wipers aren't fantastic but do the job.
Indicators are pretty cool - its a flashing green bulb on the end of the stalk! lol.

Best of all, they will do 40mpg even when thrashed.

Spares are cheap. Insurance can be even cheaper if you join an owners club at around #30 a year and go with the club approved insurere. - On the principal that if you are in an owners club you are likely to take care of you car and not thrash it hence the discount.

The engine is similar to a mini so you can make them quite quick if you want.

Depriciation? wtf is that! I've always sold classics for more than I have paid.

Financially, classic cars make sense.

If you want something a little more sporty for not much extra cost, look towards an MG midget.
james99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Depriciation? wtf is that! I've always sold classics for more than I have paid.
I know! Saw a few going for £4k plus. Was a bit surprised to say the least. Also saw a convertable, couldn't believe it!! Looked a bit strange but still pretty cool. Got to say I can't imagine a morris minor at 96mph. Would love to have a go though!
Ride-Off
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by frankie_sez_relax)
Penalties are 6 points. So you lose your licence. (as its less than 2 years old)

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/money/featu...uninsured.html

Plus if you hit me, who has 3rd party fire and theft. I'll break your face.
I have to agree. Hit me with no insurance and fixing your and my car will be the least of your worries, once you come out of your coma.

Don't even go there. If you want a cheap car then you can get insurance cheap, even as a recently qualified guy. Get a car for like £200-£800 (check out 97/98 ish Rover 200s or the like) and get it on 3rd party, high excess, scrap the fire and theft and shop around...it'll cost you less than what you'll lose in terms of work salary during your hospital recovery period if you crash into someone with a temper whilst uninsured.
web_surfer17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is it possible for me to be a named driver and ask a mate or family friends to be the main driver on the car im buying? Would they have to live in the same address or do they have to get another insurance??
Reagan Smash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I live in liverpool and outside the Police headquaters they have a big display of cars about what happens to you if you drive without insurance.

Basically, one nice shiny new car, the other crushed into a cube.

Not worth it tbh...
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where the hell are you looking for a 3K insurance quote? and considering you are looking at a cheap car - you sound like you are being majorly ripped off. Get a dirt cheap car, cheap insurance.

Dont drive without it because that would just be completly twatty.
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not cool.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by web_surfer17)
Is it possible for me to be a named driver and ask a mate or family friends to be the main driver on the car im buying? Would they have to live in the same address or do they have to get another insurance??
That's also illegal, because if it's your car and only you driving it, then you're not the named driver, you are the main driver, therefore you won't be covered as the main driver and won't be insured.
The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are caught (which you will be, as all police cars have the numberplate recognition system fitted) you'll get 6-8 points, either way you'll lose your licence for good. As you've had a licence for less than two years. So not only will you have a years driving ban, a hefty fine and your vehicle seized you will also have to do your theory and your driving test again. Also, unless you live in a very, very dodgy area, insurance should no way be £3,000 for a 1.0-1.2 espcially third party! You must be doing something wrong when filling in your details for quotes.
web_surfer17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
the quote was for a 1.0 suzuki swift, put £500 as car value and under 10k annual mileage.
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you a total cheapskate or something?
Just get proper insurance.

USE YOUR BRAIN.
roots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
youd fit in just fine where i live
hec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my first years insurance cost more than my car lol..and i was driving it before i had a license/insurance, but that was kinda risky. driving uninsured is more common than you'd think but it's pretty risky, all it takes is for some ****** to crash into you and you're up the creek
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the risks really outweigh the cost of insurance, JUST GET INSURANCE.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't get a classic car, the reason they're cheaper to insure is because you're only really allowed to drive them for 90 days a year.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by james99)
I know! Saw a few going for £4k plus. Was a bit surprised to say the least. Also saw a convertable, couldn't believe it!! Looked a bit strange but still pretty cool. Got to say I can't imagine a morris minor at 96mph. Would love to have a go though!

Cross ply tyres too. You do daft things when you're young.
I can honestly say driving a Morris 1000 @ an indicated 96mph was the scariest thing i've ever done.

Scarier than going sideways across the finish line at Santapod dragstrip @ 115mph in my mates nitrous injectied MGB GT V8.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Don't get a classic car, the reason they're cheaper to insure is because you're only really allowed to drive them for 90 days a year.
Utter nonsense.

I did over 40,000 miles in just under 4 years in my '78 MGB GT V8.
Driven EVERY day of the year rain or shine.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you sure? That's the kind of thing that those generic young teen motoring magazines that my school hands out for free would tell you, and I've seen several mentions of the virtues of classic cars but nothing of the fact that you're only allowed to drive them for 90 days!

Also, how do you objectively define a classic car? 10, 20 years old? Are you sure you're not thinking of reproduction cars like the one below?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Utter nonsense.

I did over 40,000 miles in just under 4 years in my '78 MGB GT V8.
Driven EVERY day of the year rain or shine.
Ah, no, apologies... Was mixing up the cheaper road tax deals.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, no, apologies... Was mixing up the cheaper road tax deals.
Fair enough.
But there again, pre 73 classics get free road tax.

I make out like a bandit AND have fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads