Cambridge Open Day Watch

two22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shockley)
I will be applying to Cambridge next year for 2010 entry, and as a graduate I only have the option of three colleges - Wolfson, St Edmonds and Lucy Cavendish.

My plan is to go to the open days next year, but does that mean I have to go to four -one for the vet school open day and one to visit each of the colleges?

Honestly pick St.Ed's, it's by far the best of the three. Lucy is all girls and most people live out as they have families from what my friend who's there says (she hates it). Wolfson also seems a bit isolated, but the people from Ed's in general are really cool (and lots of them are the uni rugby players!)

Having said this, I don't know how old you are. If you're 25ish and under definitely go for Ed's you'll have so much more fun, but if you're older and want a more sedate, less drunken, less typical college experience then maybe don't.

Also to the person who said Robinson is beautiful....hello are you BLIND?!
Shockley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by two22)
Honestly pick St.Ed's, it's by far the best of the three. Lucy is all girls and most people live out as they have families from what my friend who's there says (she hates it). Wolfson also seems a bit isolated, but the people from Ed's in general are really cool (and lots of them are the uni rugby players!)

Having said this, I don't know how old you are. If you're 25ish and under definitely go for Ed's you'll have so much more fun, but if you're older and want a more sedate, less drunken, less typical college experience then maybe don't.

Also to the person who said Robinson is beautiful....hello are you BLIND?!

I'll be 22 when I (possibly) get in. St Ed's sounds like fun

Do you know which is the best for Vet Med? Or is there no difference?
two22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's no college that's best for vet med (though Ed's does have one really cool supervisor which we have as well). If you're 22, then I honestly think you'll have the most fun at Ed's, that's where most of the younger grads are and it has the most social events, bops etc and it's better located than wolfson (very close to Lucy). Has nice accommodation too and facilities and just generally much more sociable. Visit all of them though, decide for yourself, this is just my advice.
Social wise, vet med is very good anyway as it's such a small subject, you get to know everyone and we have lots of vetty events and go out together. there's also vet drinking societies and parties and lots of opportunites to make close vet friends from other colleges so it's not the end of the world if the college you end up at isn't as sociable as you would like.
Shockley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the info, I can't wait to go to the open day
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by two22)

good, :yep: , that has reasurred me a bit about St Edmunds. I hadn't been able to actually get to an open day for various complicated reasons! I had ruled Lucy Cavendish out because I didn't want an all girls college. I ended up in a female hall when I was doing my first degree and didn't like it really, so didn't want that again! Speaking to Wolfson and St Ed's on the phone and quizzing them I much preferred St Ed's. But was a bit wary having made my decision like that, so am glad that what you're saying confirms what I thought!!

Quick question for you...cambridge seems to have the reputation for being very academic and not much hands on practical work etc, esp in the earlier years. Have you found that or not?
AlmostAVet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by two22)
Honestly pick St.Ed's, it's by far the best of the three. Lucy is all girls and most people live out as they have families from what my friend who's there says (she hates it).
ooh, who's that then? At a guess, are her initials NR (I only know of 2 2nd yr students and I can't remember the initials of the other one!)

I'm surprised anyone hates it that much. As a college, it might have a fair few "unconventional" people there, but generally everyone is very friendly and warm.

I love it there. It has by far the best library/facilities of the grad colleges AND you get the social life of St Ed's (a minute's walk away)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.5%
No - but I will (87)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.09%

Watched Threads