How did you know you were in love Watch

Feexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When he could turn up at my door having not showered for months, covered in spots, smelling to high heaven and i would still think he was the most attractive man alive. Meh i dunno...you just know, when you're truly in love
pandora7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 73337)
There's no such thing as 'love'!
why so cynical!

hm how do you know when you love someone? tbh i don't think about it. don't wake up one day and realise it's love. don't have a sudden epiphany, nowt like that. it's all in the moment for me. probably some comment he would make, something he did, maybe a secret smile. little random moments like that just make you wanna tell that person you're in love with them. none of this over thinking, over generalised, objectified crap.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive been with my current boyfriend for 6 months but I definitely dont think I am in love with him, I like him a lot but not love.

However with my ex, if I still see him not I go all weak and fall straight back for him...went out with him for 4 years, knew after about a year that I was falling in love.
forgottenromeo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
I'll have to disagree about "feeling the same". Like I said, those feelings haven't disappeared in my relationship/the relationships of my acquaintances, but I don't actually know any long-term couples who still feel like that all the time, as you do during the honeymoon period. I actually think that this idea that "genuine love = feeling the same as you did in the beginning" is what drives a lot of couples apart when the relationship develops into something a little less flighty. They expect to have the butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling forever, and when it disappears they assume they've "fallen out of love", and sadly don't wait around to find out that what comes after is often better.

Apologies if this sounds patronising - I'm only speaking from the experience of my own long-term relationship and the long-term relationships of those around me.. but I am aware that other people are different.
Thats fair enough, the magic perhaps would fade as you grow more used to each other, but the kinda thing behind it where you can accept them how they are without trying to change them and your captivated by them and wouldn't want anyone else.
.Louise.
Report 10 years ago
I'll have to disagree about "feeling the same". Like I said, those feelings haven't disappeared in my relationship/the relationships of my acquaintances, but I don't actually know any long-term couples who still feel like that all the time, as you do during the honeymoon period. I actually think that this idea that "genuine love = feeling the same as you did in the beginning" is what drives a lot of couples apart when the relationship develops into something a little less flighty. They expect to have the butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling forever, and when it disappears they assume they've "fallen out of love", and sadly don't wait around to find out that what comes after is often better.

Apologies if this sounds patronising - I'm only speaking from the experience of my own long-term relationship and the long-term relationships of those around me.. but I am aware that other people are different.
You've just convinced me to stay with my boyfriend
fairywings
Report 10 years ago
i agree that its just one of those things where you feel it and then you sort of go "ah i see- thats what it is".. also when you find yourself thinking really cliched phrases about them and gettingreally frustrated because you actually really mean them lolll..
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by forgottenromeo)
Thats fair enough, the magic perhaps would fade as you grow more used to each other, but the kinda thing behind it where you can accept them how they are without trying to change them and your captivated by them and wouldn't want anyone else.
Heh - yeah, now you've elaborated a bit, I'd say I'm with you on that. Certain aspects (such as those you just mentioned) haven't changed for me - but my feelings definitely have. The magic's still very much there - it's just different... and sometimes it hides for a while. So yeah, I don't mean to be a damp squib - I wouldn't trade back to the butterflies stage for anything, so it can't be that bad! :laugh:
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
I don't know actually, I really don't know what love is. I think I am in love, who knows.

Well the closest I'll be is with the best friend who after texting me saying she would ring me to try get us talking seriously (but i fell asleep) so presumed I was ignoring her. We didnt speak as much for abit but i had no idea why, and then she told me she has a boyfriend.. So yeah, all thanks to my sleep, ive messed up anything with a girl who ive known for ages and ages and whom i get on with so well. oh well, still best friends which is also bloody brill
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .Louise.)
You've just convinced me to stay with my boyfriend
:five:

Hang in there - I mean, at least long enough to see how things pan out. Have you been together long? I seem to remember that the honeymoon period faded after about three-and-a-half years for us (we dated casually for the first couple of years, and things were serious for the last year and a half or so).. and so a rough patch ensued. But we worked through it and three years later things are the very best they've ever been... so it was obviously worth ploughing through it. Y'know.. perhaps you'll plough on for a bit and then decide to walk away anyway - but with any luck, you'll find that things get better again. It's worth the effort to find out, IMO.

Good luck to you!
Vampyrcorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
When I love someone, I start to miss them long before they've said goodbye.
well now that's a bit silly.
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heh - yeah, now you've elaborated a bit, I'd say I'm with you on that. Certain aspects (such as those you just mentioned) haven't changed for me - but my feelings definitely have. The magic's still very much there - it's just different... and sometimes it hides for a while. So yeah, I don't mean to be a damp squib - I wouldn't trade back to the butterflies stage for anything, so it can't be that bad! :laugh:
The fact that you make it to a long term relationship says alot.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^ Yeah, I guess it does.
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just looked up at her one day and something clicked in my head. All i remember thinking is "Oh crap. This is gonna make things interesting" lol
My feelings havent changed since, and its months later.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im going to be really pesimistic about this and say you dont fully know you are in love intill the love interest or partner is gone, i think then you really realise how much they meant to you and you can really make sense if you really did love them or not!
Vampyrcorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
im going to be really pesimistic about this and say you dont fully know you are in love intill the love interest or partner is gone, i think then you really realise how much they meant to you and you can really make sense if you really did love them or not!
hmm. I disagree I think. You can fully appreciate how much you care for someone even if you have a happy relationship imo, you don't need to wait until they're gone for you to know how much you love them. Say, for example, you had lost somebody else in the past then you should be able to appreciate how much you love this new person just because you can imagine how much it would hurt if they died or something. I don't know.. but I do think that you can know the extent of your feelings for sure even before the partner is gone.
TheAncientMariner
Report 10 years ago
First and last thoughts of every day, filling the gap between with soft contentness.
Rinya
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I've ever been in love then..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.4%
No - but I will (74)
7.64%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (465)
48.04%

Watched Threads