How important was uni rep at your school? Watch

faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
All-conquering, hip-shaking, swinging dicks!

It was also obligatory for the girls in the private school nearby to pander to all the needs - I mean ALL - of our swinging dicks.
God, that's a bit excessive, it's only ****ing Oxford! :p:
Amy_J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
I just find it awfully ostentatious and misguided to describe UCL as a lesser institution. But then that was your school, not necessarily you.
I'm going to UCL (hopefully) come September, and I agree. It's just from my school, around 38-40% each year go to Oxbridge, and a number also to "Ivy League" universities in America, so people start to think of universities such as UCL as the lesser ones. I don't, however, as I am heading there.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think we really ever spoke about it to be honest. I mean we recognised that a few people were applying to the prestigious Oxford or Cambridge but apart from that it didn't matter.
Amy_J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All-conquering, hip-shaking, swinging dicks!

It was also obligatory for the girls in the private school nearby to pander to all the needs - I mean ALL - of our swinging dicks.
You didn't go to school in Barnes did you?
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
I'm going to UCL (hopefully) come September, and I agree. It's just from my school, around 38-40% each year go to Oxbridge, and a number also to "Ivy League" universities in America, so people start to think of universities such as UCL as the lesser ones. I don't, however, as I am heading there.
Yes, it's all subjective. Do you go to a public school, per chance? You obviously go to a private school.
aster100
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
The what?
Oh, you're the politically correct girl.
dealbreaker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, it's all subjective. Do you go to a public school, per chance? You obviously go to a private school.
With an Oxbridge admission rate that high - of course!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With an Oxbridge admission rate that high - of course!
Not necessarily (she could just go to a very good private -- as opposed to public -- school), but, yes, it is incredibly likely.
Amy_J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do. Or, rather, did, I left officially last week.
Amy_J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aster100)
Oh, you're the politically correct girl.
Excuse me?
givvy
Report 10 years ago
it didnt matter at school
or if it did I didnt notice as I was rarely there
Now I'm at uni though its loads more important as we're always weighing up competition for job applications etc

also the degree you do denotes a certain amount of respect (i.e. sociology, early childhood studies or film studies etc and even if you get a 1st people just laugh at you.)
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It wasn't important. We had people who went for Oxbridge, and people who didn't go to uni at all.
dealbreaker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
You didn't go to school in Barnes did you?
You didn't go to school in St Paul's, did you?
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
40% each year ! Wow, that is some prestigious school methinks. We have like 2 out 100 odd pupils.

Even some of my year, having gone the the process, give the usual blank faced response to UCL - I now just say London when asked - It's not that it is thought of as lesser, but not thought of.
aster100
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
Excuse me?
I always see you around threads complaining about something or other...

You hate swear words
You hate simple phrases like get bent or that sucks
Your sarcasm is weird
You're rude in a weird way

etc. etc.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For me it was important even though with my grades I had no chance of being able to go to any of the top universities thus resulting in me having to go to De Montfort Uni. Although recently I have been offered a place to study a masters at a top university (University of Nottingham) which I was more than happy to accept. I know that many people hold a general belief that in order to succeed it does not matter what uni you go to and that work experience is just as important. However I have a personal ambition which is to be able to be able to study at a top university and to be amongst the best!
Amy_J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You didn't go to school in St Paul's, did you?
You did didn't you. Haha.
shotgunkisses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my school lots of people seem to pick by course or location rather than reputation. I'm going partly by course and partly by required grades (which ties in with repuation) and teaching standards - I feel I would be better off at a uni that required the grades I'm hoping to get.

Oh, and there'll probably be like one, maybe two people applying to Oxbridge from my year. Last year none did, year before one did. Common as muck :P
dealbreaker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aster100)
I always see you around threads complaining about something or other...

You hate swear words
You hate simple phrases like get bent or that sucks
Your sarcasm is weird
You're rude in a weird way

etc. etc.
I like it - I find it endearing.
Amy_J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
40% each year ! Wow, that is some prestigious school methinks. We have like 2 out 100 odd pupils.

Even some of my year, having gone the the process, give the usual blank faced response to UCL - I now just say London when asked - It's not that it is thought of as lesser, but not thought of.
I used to think UCL was quite well known throughout the country, but having seen the number of people on the UCL part of this forum from outside London who have been met with confusion when they've explained they're off to UCL, I've realised I was wrong.

Oh well. Are you starting this year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads