30.19%
wtf is a toff/serf (21)
39.62%
thanette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a serfette! Woo moi.And nowt wrong with it. I am a noblette in regard to personality and niceness though (imHo...)
hec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
My family dates back to the 11th century when we came from France, something I'm quite proud of. When most people look back on their family tree, if you go back more than few generations (before the industrial revolution), you just get peasant, peasant, peasant. We come from a long line of nobles, my uncle is the one that lives & owns the family castle currently. I only learn't about this recently, I mean I knew about the family castle, but I only saw the family tree a few weeks ago. I believe we were given land sometime shortly after 1066, I'd have to check but my dads away at the mo with the folks. So noble I guess!

EDIT: My dads not posh at all, even though he comes from quite a rich family. I guess he's the exception in the family, earning barely anything. His parents are very rich, my grandad comes from a family that made money in the industrial revolution, its my grand mother that has the long family name. Its them I have to thank for my schooling!
my family tree before my parents included:

sailor, cobbler, blacksmith, servant and tailor

mostly sailors + fisherman for hundreds of years, lol
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thanette)
I'm a serfette! Woo moi.And nowt wrong with it. I am a noblette in regard to personality and niceness though (imHo...)
How utterly trivial. Now get back to picking cotton.
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
How utterly trivial. Now get back to picking cotton.
What do you mean by that, Bagration?
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nothing at all. I was just being in character :P
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, under the feudal system, is a Serf not a more of a slave, someone tied to their land, rather than a lower class person, in which case I'm hazarding a guess that none of us are actual Serfs.

Just a thought
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the OP is trying to ask if you're a proletariat or a bourgeois.
TheAncientMariner
Report 10 years ago
Oh, give it half an hour and it'll be 1381 all over again.
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
I think the OP is trying to ask if you're a proletariat or a bourgeois.
No. Serfs and Proletarians are totally different. I thought you of all people would know the difference between the feudalist system and the capitalist system...
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nothing at all. I was just being in character :P
Phew! Me and my TSR insecurities hey :P
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hec)
my family tree before my parents included:

sailor, cobbler, blacksmith, servant and tailor

mostly sailors + fisherman for hundreds of years, lol
Yea I know thats what its like on my mothers side. She said the person researching the family tree got rather bored with blacksmith, blacksmith, oh another blacksmith. Plus unless your family were of nobility the records are rather limited.

I think its quite cool, cause if you think about it, there weren't that many nobles in Britain, and how many of them have survived all this time? Not a great deal.
hec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Yea I know thats what its like on my mothers side. She said the person researching the family tree got rather bored with blacksmith, blacksmith, oh another blacksmith. Plus unless your family were of nobility the records are rather limited.
my granny researches it as a 'hobby', but more serious than just a hobby, so I saw a pretty extended free, back to 1500s (I think, not sure). tbh I found it fascinating, love being descended from old time sailors haha. that continued all the way til my grandad who was merchant navy in ww2, and now it's gone. shame

it's an area I rly dont mind geeking out over :P
TheAncientMariner
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
serf = poor person
toff/noble = rich
(put very simply)

cmon it can't be that hard, all you kids are sitting there on 19 A*s and 7 A's at a level with 2 1sts from russel groups and working on your 3rd PHD can't figure that out ?
You might want to think about tightening up your own definition before you berate others, mate. A serf is indebted to a noble (lord) through labour. It's not just a matter of rich and poor.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. Serfs and Proletarians are totally different. I thought you of all people would know the difference between the feudalist system and the capitalist system...
Sigh... I knew it.

Capitalism is an evolution of the feudal system... or devolution, depending on how you look at it. We're currently living in a capitalist system. Serf becomes prole, noble becomes bourgeois.

K?
Collingwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Someone had to go and ruin it with Marxist historicism!

I, like an increasingly large number of people in this country, am what Orwell disparagingly called 'the landless gentry'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads