we kept him and called him Lazerous
lol! what a fitting name
blondevalkyrie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nina)
I have a Syrian and he's nearly 3. He was a rehab pet and I'm going to be at such a loss when he dies.
wow i never heard of a syrian hamster that old, i hope mine lives to be that age he's nearly 1 and people keep 'kindly':rolleyes: telling me he's half way through his life
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The "death like state" is hibernation, and they only go into it when it's very cold. Not usually in houses.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blondevalkyrie)
wow i never heard of a syrian hamster that old, i hope mine lives to be that age he's nearly 1 and people keep 'kindly':rolleyes: telling me he's half way through his life

He's a very well travelled hamster and very loved Im not allowed him at uni so my boyfriend has him in term times. Means he travels back and forth between Lincolnshire and Newcastle on a regular basis!
blondevalkyrie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nina)
He's a very well travelled hamster and very loved Im not allowed him at uni so my boyfriend has him in term times. Means he travels back and forth between Lincolnshire and Newcastle on a regular basis!
hehe well mines very loved, so il just work on the travelling
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I sadly know that my hamster has died i just cant understand why a perfectly happy hamster who wasnt depressed and ate loads would die so suddenly.

She had a block and knawed her teeth down on her igloo and her mineral block. I dont know how long she was though so she could of been quite old from the shop and also i dont know if she had an illness from there.

My parents think that it was possibly connected from the attacks she received. Although she couldn't have another hamster in the cage or be housed with another hamster, she was really chatty to me, squeaks and clicks, she understood and knew my voice so was never really lonely and when i went out she always came over to me to say hi when i changed her food and water
*Bleachage*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you ring the Pet Samaritans then they can help, I rang them after Muffin died, if you type it into google the number should come up. Its free, and the people are really nice.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've kept syrian hamsters for years. The average age is 2.5 years. My last lived for 3 years. Don't feel too bad about it, sounds like you did your best.
Shask
Report 10 years ago
I've had 3 hamsters, the first ran somewhere and we never found it, second died at about 3 years and the third died at about 3 years. The last one was really good too - she'd go asleep anywhere (i.e. in your lap or shirt) and never bit anything ! I want another one!
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shask)
I've had 3 hamsters, the first ran somewhere and we never found it, second died at about 3 years and the third died at about 3 years. The last one was really good too - she'd go asleep anywhere (i.e. in your lap or shirt) and never bit anything ! I want another one!
Aww I love it when they do that. Soooo cute!
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
she always came out in the mornings to say hi to me, n in the day and when she wanted a bit of white chocolate the hamster treats i mean she would look at you, with big sad eyes and go crazy over them and hide them she was my first hamster i've ever looked after my first proper pet ive owned.

I had mice before but i was really young so my mum mostly looked after them for me. We had pets cats but again family pet and my mum looked after him espicially his last days when he had tones of medication for his heart/kidney problems
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to hear about your hamster. I'm sure its not due to anything you have done, Perhaps the fact that she was slow to recover from her leg wound and hte bites is an indication of a long standing fault that you could easily miss.
It sounds like she was a well cared for happy pet and you cnat ask for much more than that.

My current hamster Mabel is 2 years old, but was an ex breeder who has had 6 litters before I took her on, which normally takes it out of them so im surprised she has lived this long.
-steph-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dont worry my cousin's hamster died a few weeks ago and I was kind of the stepmom to it. Well its was the funniest ever cause none of us wanted to take it out of the tube so her dad picked up the tube and dropped it onto the floor so the hamster fell out of the tube. Then she started moving, we were like sammy ur alive. We gave her water and went out for dinner as we had planned. When we came back the dam hamster was fine and running around like a maniac, so we just guessed that she was just dehydrated and got stuck in the tubes.

So 2 days later we get home and see her stuck again and this time she was really dead and didnt take any water when we tried to give to her. This will always be an amusing story for me and my cousin. Our 1st pet together so now we are pushing for a chinchilla or rabbit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads