Should the Church of England appoint women bishops? Watch

trefusis128
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
As men are superior to woman in every way, as proven in the Book of Genesis when God created Adam before Eve, woman should not be given such an important job. It has been proven time and time again that woman are incapable of handling positions of power - look at Maggie Thatcher, the Queen, they did / are doing terrible jobs. Conversely, men like George Bush and Robert Mugabe are fine leaders.

Perhaps most importantly, if women are out bishoping, who's gonna stay at home and look after the kids? The husbands?! :rofl: God forbid...

:rolleyes:

You just opened a whole big can of handbag wielding, skirt wearing feminist worms....

High-five!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
You are a clever man L i b - would you buy a house - sign a contract - with a term that seems bizzare?
Would you invest your soul into something as important as that without knowing exactly what it entails? Or would you just nod your head to whatever?
Putting aside the question of being able to interpret and to know the wishes of God (since the matter at hand was not framed in that context), if He - the Creator of the Universe, the Divine architect of all that exists in time and space and the ultimate judge of souls - told me to jump, I wouldn't even have the temerity to delay and ask "how high?", I'd bloody well jump. The situation of Abraham and Isaac of course springs immediately to mind.

Ultimately it's not a matter of choice or even a matter of having to understand.
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trefusis128)
You just opened a whole big can of handbag wielding, skirt wearing feminist worms....

High-five!

Just for the record, the entire post was sarcasm. Woman should have been allowed to be ordinated decades ago in my opinion - the Church is only allowing it now to make Christianity more popular.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Ultimately it's not a matter of choice or even a matter of having to understand.
The whole point about God is that he's beyond human comprehension- hence: he is cool.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Bear)
What a load of old tosh.

Lets analyse the job description of a bishop. Manipulate and prey on peoples insecurities in order to keep themselves in a paid job.

As a man or woman could do that why shouldn't women bishops be allowed?
I don't really think your question is worth answering to be honest. The theological arguments against female ordination and female bishops are well known: unless you can come up with an interesting objection to them, then there's very little point in me sitting around educating you for free.
willowtree
Report 10 years ago
they should be allowed- if women an be vicars then there is no reason they shouldn't also be bishops. Inequality is out of the question nowadays, and the church should be LEADING us towards an equal society for all types of people.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Putting aside the question of being able to interpret and to know the wishes of God (since the matter at hand was not framed in that context), if He - the Creator of the Universe, the Divine architect of all that exists in time and space and the ultimate judge of souls - told me to jump, I wouldn't even have the temerity to delay and ask "how high?", I'd bloody well jump. The situation of Abraham and Isaac of course springs immediately to mind,
Look before you leap

I don't see why people submit so blindly though, it could be the prospect of hell.
People do many things out of fear. Hell, fear is the best way to control someone, and religion has the best dose of it.
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I don't really think your question is worth answering to be honest. The theological arguments against female ordination and female bishops are well known: unless you can come up with an interesting objection to them, then there's very little point in me sitting around educating you for free.
Are these the same theological arguments that appear in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone...sorry I mean The Bible.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
We're categorically not a secular society.
While we're certainly not constitutionally a secular country, the political system functions as a largely de facto secular State. They would have to I think to adhere to the ECHR. Furthermore, the majority of Brits are fiercely secular. I imagine only 1 in 10 people regularly attend religious service, whichever religion it may be.

(Original post by L i b)
I wouldn't mind very much either way if the C of E (and the C of S) were disestablished, but it opens a constitutional can of worms over the exact status of religion in respect of the state that I realistically think we need not worry about.
Fair enough.

(Original post by L i b)
Bishops will probably be removed from the Lords eventually
That's a start I guess.
liamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course they should. It's a pastoral job. women for the most part seem to be better at this. Women out bishoping would look after everyone's kids. Besides, majority of CofE's active members are women - why shouldn't they be able to get to higher positions. From my bishop/priest I want good advice etc. so what's the problem with female bishops?
BTW - I get the distinct impression Rowan Williams is to a certain degree sexist - he hasn't really made much effort in this area - compared to gay priests/bishops.
His track record on women priests doesn't seem good.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
Woman should have been allowed to be ordinated decades ago in my opinion - the Church is only allowing it now to make Christianity more popular.
You do realise that the Church of England is a religious institution and not a political party?
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by liamb)
I get the distinct impression Rowan Williams is to a certain degree sexist

Anyone else noticed that Rowan Williams sounds sssuspiciously like a serpant?
I dont trust a religious figurehead who impersonates the "satanic" animal...
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyone else noticed that Rowan Williams sounds sssuspiciously like a serpant?
I dont trust a religious figurehead who impersonates the "satanic" animal...
(Original post by The_Bear)
Are these the same theological arguments that appear in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone...sorry I mean The Bible.
Maybe I was reading Harry Potter...:confused:

Rowan Williams = Voldemort?
liamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Williams = Moldy Wort more like. The most useless Archbishop I can remember. Runcie rocked!
Jerry Meandering
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Have Your Say)

Are you an Anglican? How do you feel about the ordination of women bishops? Is the Communion heading for a split over controversial issues - such as the appointment of women bishops and gay vicars?
Seems to me that the Communion is heading for a split over what are very trivial issues. Who cares if it has women bishops and gay vicars? Hardly matters of doctrinal gravitas.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jerry Meandering)
Who cares if it has women bishops and gay vicars? Hardly matters of doctrinal gravitas.
Good point I suppose. But I imagine it matters a great deal to Gays and women who cant get real jobs. I mean err, who are deeply religious.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jerry Meandering)
Seems to me that the Communion is heading for a split over what are very trivial issues. Who cares if it has women bishops and gay vicars? Hardly matters of doctrinal gravitas.
Trivial matters? Pfft.

Good point I suppose. But I imagine it matters a great deal to Gays and women who cant get real jobs. I mean err, who are deeply religious.
Not merely gays and women, but mainly faithful heterosexual males who sincerely believe that the Church ought to interpret the scriptures rationality.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by willowtree)
they should be allowed- if women an be vicars then there is no reason they shouldn't also be bishops.
That is not true.

For one, there is the fact that 1,300 clergy and 11 Bishops have threatened to defect over this matter (10% of the practising clergy). Secondly, the C of E already has had to institute so-called "flying bishops" to cater to those parishes that refuse to have anything to do with bishops who are involved in the ordination of female vicars; entirely pollute the sphere of bishops and it becomes impossible for these parishes to remain within the Church of England and maintain a separation from the hierarchy of female ordination - it is a very different situation to the simple ordination of women vicars.

Inequality is out of the question nowadays, and the church should be LEADING us towards an equal society for all types of people.
It's got sod all to do with 'nowadays' - God and Christ's church of Earth are timeless. The only thing the Church should lead towards is the greater glorification of God, not some ridiculous secular notions of gender equality.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
You do realise that the Church of England is a religious institution and not a political party?
:rofl: I'd love to read their manifesto reports .. :p:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
It's got sod all to do with 'nowadays' - God and Christ's church of Earth are timeless. The only thing the Church should lead towards is the greater glorification of God, not some ridiculous secular notions of gender equality.
Well I think the Church should bugger off, but I agree with you in so far as it is not the duty of the Church of England, or any other religious establishment, to promote modern day values that go against its teachings - which is why I disagree with this pointless thread.

We lay people do not possess the standing to discuss such an issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads