The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
james s
Officially they don't know, but I heard of someone who was rejected from Edinburgh because they already had 2 offers for Vet Med from RVC and Cambridge.

Utter bull****. Clearly someone just trying to give an excuse for their being rejected.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Charlski
Utter bull****. Clearly someone just trying to give an excuse for their being rejected.

I'm not sure they really need to give an excuse, having got into Cambridge.
Reply 22
james s
I'm not sure they really need to give an excuse, having got into Cambridge.

Some people are like that though. They just seem to have an inferiority complex - the fact they got into Cambridge isn't enough. If they'd got into all of them, they'd be happy.
Reply 23
Charlski
Some people are like that though. They just seem to have an inferiority complex - the fact they got into Cambridge isn't enough. If they'd got into all of them, they'd be happy.

'Tis true. In fact, to them, it may have been even worse that they were rejected by a university after being accepted into Cambridge.
Onearmedbandit
How many people apply to UCL but not Oxbridge anyway?

i only applied to UCL, nowhere else (postgraduate).
I meant undergraduate
Reply 26
Against what everyone has said..

If you apply before the oxbridge deadline and have good grades, most unis will ASSUME you have applied to oxbridge. And there has been in some of these cases that people have been rejected from places like LSE, durham, imperial etc even with amazing grades and PS- leading to the assumption that the uni has rejected them cos they think they will get the oxbridge place and make the grades for it. Could be a coincidence, but who knows.

At any rate, it shouldn't stop you applying from wherever you want.
Reply 27
Onearmedbandit

Me for one.
me for two
Take a look at my sig - I've been accepted by Oxford, but also got onto TWO UCL courses, so anyone who might think they'd be disadvantaged should get that thought right out of their head :smile:
If anything, I'd say you're more likely to get an offer. I applied before the Oxbridge deadline, but wasnt actually an applicant for there. Yet UCL presumed I was. Everyone else at my interview certainly was.
River85
Oxford and Cambridge haven't rejected them! An open day in November. Those attending the open day in question may have applied to both UCL and Oxbridge and would be waiting on offers. Besides, like it or not Oxbridge don't always get the "best" students.

Also there's a bit of UCL arrogance in that "you're here because you're the best" but we'll gloss over that...

I thought it meant the best that had applied to UCL?
cheese_fondue
i only applied to UCL, nowhere else (postgraduate).

my course was only offered by UCL , Southampton and Manchester... its why I chose UCL( the others looked so unprofessional in their open days):biggrin:
royale_sufi
me for two

Me for three
Reply 34
UCL actually knew I applied to Cambridge and got rejected, since I sent my application to UCL on Jan 11th (after Cambridge results) and my referee was thick enough to say Cambridge in her reference letter. I was accepted nevertheless.

Then again, the only reason I could think of why UCL would not like Oxbridge applicants would be because the university would have a larger chance of the student making UCL their insurance. Which, obviously, did not apply to me.
Reply 35
Most of the students I know are Oxbridge rejects, myself included! If UCL rejected everyone who applied there, then they'd probably be left with about 3 students.
Reply 36
Not sure about all this, but I applied the day before the oxbridge deadline, and got a rejection through from Durham in a matter of days. I later got an interview from Oxford and an unconditional from UCL (where I'll be starting in Sept :biggrin: ).

At the Oxford interview many of the candidates said they had also got rapid rejections from Durham...

My experience suggested to me that (as many people seem to think) Durham do have a negative attitude to possible oxbridge attitudes (ridiculous though that may seem), but UCL are a lot more accepting of the fact people have a high chance of applying to oxbridge also.

Hopefully it's all a coincidence aye? :confused:
Reply 37
Onearmedbandit

Meeeee!!
Reply 38
River85
Oxford and Cambridge haven't rejected them! An open day in November.

Also there's a bit of UCL arrogance in that "you're here because you're the best" but we'll gloss over that...

But surely if you're working on the assumption that if they'd been given an offer in November they'd have probably been with the Oxbridge applications, and the best people get into Oxbridge then it's feasible that they're the best?
Not sure if this applies, but I was reading notes from a UCL conference that one of my teacher's went to about applying to UCL and they said they like to give offers to applicants they think will accept them. This might be a way of saying they try to second guess who has applied to Oxbridge?

Latest

Trending

Trending