Can you get into a good university through clearing? Watch

rocketscience777
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)
I began my Pharmacy course in September 2006 which is when I also submitted my UCAS form for Medicine 2007 entry. I left Pharmacy in January 2007 to take up my place at Medical School which didn't begin until September of that year.

It would be near impossible to start Medicine having missed a term's worth of work considering all the relevant teaching, essential clinical skills and experience that would have been missed.

I hope that answers your questions.

I have pm-ed you on something hope you've seen it by now thanks
AlastairHeggie
Report 10 years ago
I am in a situation similar to the OP and would really appreciate some advice. Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one.

I hold AAAB in Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics respectively from 2007. I have not got into anywhere I want to go to do Maths and Philosophy. Have not heard back from KCL yet, but since Edinburgh and St Andrews rejected my application, I am not that optimistic perhaps I lost out to candidates with further maths, better proof in esay subjects or they resented the fact I dropped out from Engineering at Sheffield, who knows.

Anyway, a good Univeristy is more important to me than the course really. Could I get a place at somewhere like KCL or St Andrews. Courses that I am thinking of are Economics, Econ with philosophy, PPE like combinations of subjects, or perhaps somthing scientific like Physics, Astrophysics.

So I guess I am asking what my chances are at KCL and St Andrews to do any of the courses I mentioned through clearing since I rather set my heart on them when applying this year? Secondly, can anyone suggest any courses similar to the ones I mentioned, or ones that follow logically from my A levels that I might have a good chance at being accepted on through clearing?
AlastairHeggie
Report 10 years ago
A bit of looking around had led me to suspect that UCAS extra should be my next port of call.

Kings for instance has Physics places in extra.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You sound very confused! Don't rush into anything.

You've already dropped out once, so you don't want to drop out again, as that will cause problems with funding if you ever want to go back again. You really need to think carefully about what you want to do.

Do you actually want to do physics, or are you just thinking about doing it because it's there? Although you say the uni is more important than the course, you do need to enjoy what you're doing as otherwise you won't be happy.

Contact the unis that rejected you and ask for feedback. They don't have to give any, but if they do it may be helpful.
AlastairHeggie
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
You sound very confused! Don't rush into anything.
QFT

Thanks for the advice, lots to think about. I will definitely try to contact the universities that rejected my application like you suggest.

I was going to write something here about my choice of courses, but I need to mull it over for a bit before I respond. In short, I've always been a bit of an all rounder academically speaking. I wish we had an American style college system where one specializes after a more general first year.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Then another thing to consider is to take a year out to work and save up some money whilst deciding what you want to do
Big.Juicy.Orange.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)

Less than 24 hours later, I got an email from Manchester saying they were prepared to take me on the course despite the fact I hadn't applied to them previously.
heyy, that it a dead positive response that's got me thinking there is still some hope!
i just wanted to ask though, did you have an interview at Manchester? or when you say hadn't applied to them previously, you mean you had not looked at that university at all and they took you on without an interview
cheers
Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Big.Juicy.Orange.)
heyy, that it a dead positive response that's got me thinking there is still some hope!
i just wanted to ask though, did you have an interview at Manchester? or when you say hadn't applied to them previously, you mean you had not looked at that university at all and they took you on without an interview
cheers
No interview as such although did have a chat with the admissions tutor over the phone but essentially yeah, hadn't applied to them before etc. Remember, this was back in 2006 so I'm sure the admissions may have changed by now meaning what I did then may not be applicable anymore but it's always worth a try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads