Diet vs Gym? Watch

unikq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you're a girl, don't overdo the gym, because then you'll get really muscular :eek:

eat healthy and jog around a bit
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hayles101)
No one has actually said if this contributes? What I mean is say your only consuming 1500 or less calories a day due to only eating when you feel hungry, will it majorly effect your weight as to what foods make up these calories?
Yes, partly. If you diet is only 1500 calories but half of these calories are fats & saturated fats then it will be more difficult for you to loose the weight. However if you have a regular balanced diet (even if it is only 1500 calories) you will find you metabolism will speed up and you have an easier time at toning up your muscles.

p.s you probably should try and eat more calories for a girl of your age, and possibly still growing
mr_magoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if u wanna tone up then you'll need to do ALL of the following
1) balanced diet
2) exercise - cardio
3) sit ups, stomach crunches etc

doing 1 without the other will not give you a toned body, as all three are interlinking...you can do as many sit-ups as you want but without losing the extra fat around your body (via cardio) then it won't be visable. Just because you're doing cardio at the gym it doesn't mean you can allow yourself "more freedom", you will deffinately have to watch what you're eating and monitor it carefully to maximize results
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
But by eating less does that not count as part of it or do you have to eat every food group. I know when I was sick I lost 2 stone not by eating a balanced diet but by consuming fewer calories as I just didnthave the appetite?
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I agree with that but if you want to tone up your body, like me then dieting alone wont do that so its essential. I burn around 500 calories each time I go to the gym, I know because the cardio machines I use have a counter, and I find this easier than having to live off cabbage leaves.
Toning is a mixture of losing fat and/or putting on muscle. Now this can be achieved through dieting and/or exercise, they are NOT ESSENTIAL if you do it properly.

The fact that you aren't able to 'tone up' through dieting is because you're either consuming too many calories than you are burning, and/or your diet isn't good enough (ie; it doesn't contain sufficient protein, so you lose muscle as well as /instead of fat, causing you to become 'skinny fat'), it is not because exercise is essential and/or that dieting doesn't work, however it is something i'd thoroughly recommend for all round health and fitness.

(Original post by unikq)
if you're a girl, don't overdo the gym, because then you'll get really muscular :eek:

eat healthy and jog around a bit
Girls don't have sufficient testosterone to get overtly muscular. FAIL.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)

Girls donot get "muscley" unless they take PH
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
Toning is a mixture of losing fat and/or putting on muscle. Now this can be achieved through dieting and/or exercise, they are NOT ESSENTIAL if you do it properly.

The fact that you aren't able to 'tone up' through dieting is because you're either consuming too many calories than you are burning, and/or your diet isn't good enough (ie; it doesn't contain sufficient protein, so you lose muscle as well as /instead of fat, causing you to become 'skinny fat'), it is not because exercise is essential and/or that dieting doesn't work, however it is something i'd thoroughly recommend for all round health and fitness.

Thanks thats very helpful..im learning a few things now
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it possible to lose a (small) amount of weight and tone up my working very hard 6 days a week at the gym but not being overly strict with your diet. When I say overly strict I mean no crisps, fast food, obvious foods you would avoid but still being able to eat potatoes, pasta, baguettes etc. Also I might add that if you are eating less calories overall by eating less food, then does it really matter exactly how you get these calories? And by that I mean what you consume to get these calories. Surely if your burning enough off doing cardio at the gym, you can allow yourself that bit more freedom than other people who do, say only half an hour at an hour 3 times a week?

Also what is the best gym workout for female to get fitter and tone up? Thanks very much

yes, it does matter how you get the calories. certain vitamins and minerals contained within food can help, for example, stimulate your liver, which makes bile, which helps to break down fat. dairy, white grains (ie: white bread, pasta, baguette) all make your liver more sluggish, which makes it harder for your body to truly break down and burn fat.

your liver is really important! feed it!
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not sure if this is good or anything but i find that a good way to allow you to reduce your calorie intake is by changing the type of drinks that you have. For example an average 500 ml coke will have 300+ calories whereas a diet coke has 2 calories. Drinking the diet coke as oppose to the original coke saves you half an hour at least of moderate cardio at the gym.
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exercise helps speed up your metabolism and if you build muscle you burn more calories whilst just sitting down etc.. if you diet and don't exercise you'll probably just end up looking the same but a bit smaller.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arty Photographer)
Your writing "end of", just means it the end of me reading you. It's a very annoying and arrogant phrase. Please don't use it... especially when you are wrong!
He is totally right. Eat 500cals under maintenance per day and you will lose weight irrespective of exercise.

Eat junk all day and go to the gym a few tiems a week you will get nowhere.

Diet is far more important in my experience (I have 8 years of weight training/diet under my belt), but obviously a combination of both would work best for weightloss and overall health.
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exercise is much more important for health. Whereas dietting is good for weightloss i suppose, but exercise with a reasonable diet will work.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by royale_sufi)
Exercise is much more important for health. Whereas dietting is good for weightloss i suppose, but exercise with a reasonable diet will work.
Wrong wrong wrong. If you eat McDonalds 3x per day no amount of exercise is going to make you healthy.
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by meathead1987)
Wrong wrong wrong. If you eat McDonalds 3x per day no amount of exercise is going to make you healthy.
I said reasonable diet! As far as i know, a reasonable diet doesnt include going to McDonalds 3X per day. Dieting will certainly not give you as great the benefits of long term excercise!
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
So the overall question...lots of exercise (being a tough gym workout about 5 times a week) combined with a reasonable diet will work right? Exercise doesnt bother me..in fact I quite enjoy it but I just know i cant live on lettuce and soup forever
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just know i cant live on lettuce and soup forever

lectuce and soup is not a healthy diet.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
alright, alright, calm down.
how comes i've seen loads of muscular girls then? are they taking too much PH?
if they look something like

then yes they are taking pro hormones
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by royale_sufi)
I said reasonable diet! As far as i know, a reasonable diet doesnt include going to McDonalds 3X per day. Dieting will certainly not give you as great the benefits of long term excercise!
I still strongly disagree, the question is diet OR exercise, so you cant go saying exercise is more important assuming a reasonable diet, thats cheating the question.
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
lectuce and soup is not a healthy diet.
Ohh shh you know what I mean :p: salads and boring rabbit food diets. (again the rabbit food is not to be taken literally)
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
(Original post by meathead1987)
I still strongly disagree, the question is diet OR exercise, so you cant go saying exercise is more important assuming a reasonable diet, thats cheating the question.
I made the question...so I say it is allowed :p:

Ahh the benefits of being the question master
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed