UCL or Durham in IR? Watch

popepius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
UCL>Durham. More prestigious and reputed.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by popepius)
UCL>Durham. More prestigious and reputed.
Come on then, humour me. At undergrad level, they are fairly equal. At postgrad level then, generally speaking, there is a gap between the two and UCL would arguably have the edge. It's the larger universities that although doesn't produce "better" research across the board than Durham it does produce more of it.

Still, go and check out the RAE score of Durham's politics dept and of UCL's. Let me know your findings. I'd say they are fairly evenly matched even at postgrad level, in politics. It just largely comes down to course content and other personal factors.

Don't try and turn another poster's thread into an anti-Durham tirade thread. The OP herself thinks there's little difference between the two and is looking at other factors.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
What are your research interests? Where would you actually like to live? - London's massive and happening, Durham's insular, cliquey (and full of rahs). I'd personally pick UCL in an instant. I hated Durham when I went up for a post-application undergraduate weekend, and similarly found their Politics department weak and, well, dull.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
What are your research interests? Where would you actually like to live? - London's massive and happening, Durham's insular, cliquey (and full of rahs)
I think it's fair to say that, for some, Durham can be "claustrophobic" but there aren't that many rahs. No more than most of the other top unis (it's just smaller so you notice them more). We are slowly killing them off :p: . It's also quite easy to leave Durham and get "real" city life elsewhere if you want to, just can be a little expensive at £4 a pop.

(Original post by Rainy)
I'd personally pick UCL in an instant. I hated Durham when I went up for a post-application undergraduate weekend, and similarly found their Politics department weak and, well, dull.
Lol, dull. Yes, I see your point. Out of interest where was the politics department when you visited? Was it on Old Elvet still, by the philosophy department or was it in the school of sport (white building)? Or was it the Middle East buildig you went to (large, modern building)?

It's fair to say that the Middle East department is what makes Durham's SGIA. Its politics department is mediocore by the unis standards. Then again Durham isn't stellar in the social sciences outside of archaeology, geography and, of course, law).
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyway, it's pointless discussing this. It seems that the OP had already made her mind up almost and that, by now, she probably definately has.

(Original post by dumoulin)
Cool NewYork85,

You understand what I mean! I m fed up of city life......I'm just continuing my reflections about this two universities and waiting conditions of my integration in UCL(They are going to send me a letter this week, if conditions are too hard, I will definitively choose Durham).
See you soon maybe at Durham, I will be fastly recognizable with my french accent
!
Gannicus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by system49)
I will be going to do the International Public Policy programme at UCL. If you choose UCL perhaps I'll see you there
Could I please ask you about your experience with UCL's public policy programme? I'm planning on matriculating in UCL's security studies MSc this fall, and I'd love to hear a former student's opinion!

Please. Anything would be great, as I've not had the chance to speak with many previous students in the department. Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads