?
Report 10 years ago
Cleverness is useful, wisdom is not.
][ceman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My opinion is that cleverness is academically based, where as wisdom comes down to life experience.

Just a little example:

I am considered relatively clever and have received a good education but I lack any form of common sense. If I was to stumble across some one injured on the street I'd probably end up panicking and not knowing what to do, even though I have the knowledge on how to react. My Gran on the other hand received little/no education but she has more common sense/life experience than anyone that I know, and if she was to come across someone injured in the street she would know exactly what to do and how to react.
AlanRef
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
cleverness will build you the foundation of getting somewhere.. wisdom will actually get you there.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AlanRef)
cleverness will build you the foundation of getting somewhere.. wisdom will actually get you there.
Wisdom will let you reach enlightenment. Cleverness will tell you this is worthless.
hanwilkie
Report 10 years ago
I think that cleverness is inherent, whereas wisdom is learn't. Cleverness implies a quick processing speed, and an ability to grasp concepts- wisdom is about knowing things, rather than about ability.
Charlybob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cleverness is knowing theoreticals.
Wisdom is knowing practicalities.

I'm a maths guy, so it goes without saying I'd much rather be clever.
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cleverness makes you money! wisdom doesnt, therefore being clever is better right?

would you rather be a tramp with a lot of wisdom or be a super rich guy that is clever?
bright-eyes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Laevis)
Wise people are old.

You can't be young and wise :rolleyes: I thought everyone knew that
Have you never heard of 'enfante terrible' or the phrase 'being wise beyond your years'?
Arty Photographer
Report 10 years ago
Wisdom is the ability and habit of applying whatever cleverness you have in a useful way...

..and it allows one to feel smug when giving succinct definitions to complex concepts.
bright-eyes
Rep:
?
But if you don't learn from your mistakes (wisdom) then how does an individual make progress?
bright-eyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by royale_sufi)
Cleverness makes you money! wisdom doesnt, therefore being clever is better right?

would you rather be a tramp with a lot of wisdom or be a super rich guy that is clever?
But being wise allows people to willingly come to you for advice, being clever doesn't necessarily mean people will want to listen to you.
Cleverness without wit, is like wisdom without experience. Or at least something like that....

ff-topic:
And another thing, can someone be considered a 'genius' without some form of scientific know how? How come there are always 'literary geniuses', 'musical geniuses' and 'business geniuses', but never 'scientific geniuses'? :confused: Da Vinci was a 'genius' but Beethoven was a 'musical genius'? Doesn't being good with music mean you have to have mathmatical/scientific knowledge?
AlanRef
Report 10 years ago
Wisdom will let you reach enlightenment. Cleverness will tell you this is worthless.
being too clever will kill you.. not having enough wisdom will also kill you
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AlanRef)
being too clever will kill you.. not having enough wisdom will also kill you
Wisdom will tell you death is inevitable. Cleverness will delude you to immortality.
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wisdom will tell you death is inevitable. Cleverness will delude you to immortality.
:eek: Death is inevitable?!?! I refuse to believe so! im NOT going to die EVER
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by royale_sufi)
:eek: Death is inevitable?!?! I refuse to believe so! im NOT going to die EVER
Clever.
Peter_The_Great
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cleverness is the ability to acquire understanding and knowledge.

Wisdom is the ability to dispose of that understanding and knowledge judiciously.
AlanRef
Report 10 years ago
Clever.
someone clever may say the statement you quoted on, but someone wise will not..

we can see who is correct.
farawayheartbeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I clicked that I'd rather be Wise.

I think that being clever is knowing the answers to things, eg Book clever/academic.

Being wise is knowing how to act in situations, what actions mean, being "worldly". Not sure how to describe it.
I agree with Bright Eyes, saying that being wise learns from your mistakes.

And I totally disagree about age. Some young people can be extremely wise.

Edit: I consulted the dictionary XD

wisdom n. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight. Common sense; good judgment:

clever adj. , -erer , -erest . Mentally quick and original; bright. Nimble with the hands or body; dexterous.
0129Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Being clever is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say being clever is about being booksmart, whereas being wise is being knowledgeable and experienced with regards to life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise