help... more exercise balanced diet= no weight loss!! Watch

Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the two most likely explanations -

1. Your calculations of food intake against BMR (basic metabollic rate) and Exercise-induced loss are incorrect and you are not losing enough weight. Roughly 700 calories of loss = 0.1 kg. If you're losing 100 calories a day, I wouldn't expect to see a loss.

2. During your initial measurement you were more dehydrated or during your latest measurement you had drunk water recently. The same applies with eating food and going to the toilet. These things make differences of almost a kg and maybe even more. In a week you might lose a half kilo or 1 kg, therefore, these changes can easily be hidden by inconsistencies during weighing. The best way to remove these confounding factors is to weigh yourself at the same time of day every 2 days and look for a trend.

The amount of exericse you're doing probably wont lead to massive muscle gain (although if you're losing very little weight, then even this could be the reason you're not seing much of a change). Also, the quality of the food you're eating, although important, is not extremely important a very low calorie diet because all of the calories you are eating will be getting used up quite quickly. Therefore, it doesnt really matter that much if you eat a salad or chips because you're going to be using both up anyway.

listen to me, i know stuff!
meathead1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gaylei)
oh thats a good idea, so like a tin of mackeral? or a hand full of nuts, I only really like cashew nuts are they ok?
Cashews are ok yeah, almonds are probably better but to be honest it doesnt matter a whole lot.

How long have you been trying to lose weight, for the 5th time?
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what are you eating?
Porridge 1 cup with 1 cup water and tea spoon honey glass water
apple or bannana
pita bread with lean ham or feta cheese and salad and a yoghurt
apple or banana
meat and veg mostly turkey or chicken with veg like spinnage and sweetcorn or soup that is low cal with some bread

As meathead said low on fats, try supplementing flaxseed/omega3 (dirt cheap from H&B) or nuts, beef jerkey are good sources. Fats are an important part of a balanced diet

water and tea with no sugar throughout the day, some days I have crisps at lunch but not every day and I sometimes have a bad day dont we all!?

IMO cheating is a part of a balance diet. Eating clean all day every day can drive you insane, can help stop binging. Try finding a "health" food you could have some days instead of crisps. Cottage cheese, jerkey etc. Its good you dont drink fizzy drinks though.

what is height/weight/activity level? Im 5'5 I weigh 101 KG and I walk some during the day but mostly at a desk

What exercise are you doing? 30 mins on the pre core (like a cross trainer 350 cals burnt)

Fairly low activity level then. Look to extend you cardio sessions, or introduce weights. How often is that being done?

Have you cheated? sometimes

Cheating is good (in moderation), binging and the associated effects are not

How often do you weigh yourself? once or twice a week, I also get measured too, no change in mesurements although my belly feels smaller to me.

Dont weigh yourself that often. Your bw flucuates normally throughout the day, based on food, water etc you are carrying. The most anyone should weigh themselves is 1xweek.
Hope that helps
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by monica7790)
im a pear shape and i find eating only a like 200 hundred cals less but like 10-20g of fat less a day shifts more weight in me than say 1200 calories, and the usual 60-70g and exersise. it depends on your body shape. on some occasions when ive eaten less cals, same fat and exersised i put on weight. no joke and it werent muscle cos i used a tape measure to measure my waist.
but how are you measuring the fat your have eaten?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont think Ill follow your diet if thats ok, well with the exception of the sub and pizza! hee hee dont have pizza very often and if I do have a sub I have one of the 7 under 6 ones and only a 6inch!
Pretty sure my diet isn't suitable for most females :p:
Im claiming subway as an ultimate bulking food
Chicken teriakyi 700cals, 58protein, 102carbs, 10fat, 3 sat
Gaylei
Rep:
?
so any more advice?
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you need to eat less calories. the exercise is already good, but if you're not losing weight then it's not enough.

i've lost 20 kilos since october and i want to lose another 10 kilos.

i try to keep to around 1000 calories a day and so far i haven't really exercised regularly.

this is what i eat each day:

4 small pita breads (toasted) with some ham/chicken slices and lots of cucumber on top as brunch (the cucumber is filling and has hardly any calories).

lots of cups of tea with no-fat milk and lots of glasses of water during the day, if i drink any soft drinks then only diet coke. no juice or alcohol.

snacks: 4-5 tomatoes cut into bite-size bits. (as often as i want, not a lot of calories in that and quite filling)

2 more small pita breads (toasted), sometimes with marmelade (thinly spread) on top if i feel like it.

snack: banana

4 pots of no-fat, no-sugar joghurt (about 200 calories in all) as a snack (when i'm watching tv or something like that). that's about 500 grams altogether, so quite filling.

dinner: steamed spiced veggies (without sauce), sometimes with some cottage cheese to go with it if i have calories left over.

in the weekend i don't eat that often because i'm out and about, so instead i tend to have a bigger dinner in the evening because i've got calories left over:

steamed spiced veggies and some fish/meat.
or two toasted sandwiches (cheese, pineapple, ham).

sometimes i have calories left over if i'm not feeling that hungry or if i've filled up on the low-calory stuff like tomatoes/cucumbers/steamed veggies, so then i can have sweets or something like that to make up the calories to about 1000/day. if i know i'm going out for dinner in the weekend for example, then i can save up 100 calories/day for a few days in advance and a few days afterwards to spread it out a bit more (otherwise you might just end up putting all the weight you've lost during the week back on in the weekend).
Gaylei
Rep:
?
(Original post by meathead1987)
Cashews are ok yeah, almonds are probably better but to be honest it doesnt matter a whole lot.

How long have you been trying to lose weight, for the 5th time?
sorry my cpu is lagging, I started to change my diet in feb but i have started really commiting my self to exercise for bout 6 weeks:rolleyes:
Gaylei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vazzyb)
the two most likely explanations -

1. Your calculations of food intake against BMR (basic metabollic rate) and Exercise-induced loss are incorrect and you are not losing enough weight. Roughly 700 calories of loss = 0.1 kg. If you're losing 100 calories a day, I wouldn't expect to see a loss.

2. During your initial measurement you were more dehydrated or during your latest measurement you had drunk water recently. The same applies with eating food and going to the toilet. These things make differences of almost a kg and maybe even more. In a week you might lose a half kilo or 1 kg, therefore, these changes can easily be hidden by inconsistencies during weighing. The best way to remove these confounding factors is to weigh yourself at the same time of day every 2 days and look for a trend.

The amount of exericse you're doing probably wont lead to massive muscle gain (although if you're losing very little weight, then even this could be the reason you're not seing much of a change). Also, the quality of the food you're eating, although important, is not extremely important a very low calorie diet because all of the calories you are eating will be getting used up quite quickly. Therefore, it doesnt really matter that much if you eat a salad or chips because you're going to be using both up anyway.

listen to me, i know stuff!
so what do you suggest? more exercise?
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i also don't weigh myself very often, only about once a month, if that often.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you had any visible results? You certainly should have eating at that calorie level for 6 weeks!
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
in the first 2-3 weeks i wrote down EXACTLY what i ate/drank every day. that helps you see how many calories you have left over and if you're sticking to your diet.
people often eat a lot more than they realise, especially snacks/soft drinks/juices/alcohol.
Gaylei
Rep:
?
(Original post by meathead1987)
Have you had any visible results? You certainly should have eating at that calorie level for 6 weeks!
i lost 5 lbs then put it on again!
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what are you eating?
Porridge 1 cup with 1 cup water and tea spoon honey glass water
apple or bannana
pita bread with lean ham or feta cheese and salad and a yoghurt
apple or banana
meat and veg mostly turkey or chicken with veg like spinnage and sweetcorn or soup that is low cal with some bread

water and tea with no sugar throughout the day, some days I have crisps at lunch but not every day and I sometimes have a bad day dont we all!?

what is height/weight/activity level? Im 5'5 I weigh 101 KG and I walk some during the day but mostly at a desk

What exercise are you doing? 30 mins on the pre core (like a cross trainer 350 cals burnt)
Have you cheated? sometimes

How often do you weigh yourself? once or twice a week, I also get measured too, no change in mesurements although my belly feels smaller to me.
gaylei, you could check up (on google) how many calories you are actually eating a day. you'll probably be surprised/horrified.

for example, feta cheese and sweetcorn are quite calorific. so are any kinds of nuts... any kind of alcohol is really calorific too.
(salad) sauces are usually a no-no too (unless they're no-fat).
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so what do you suggest? more exercise?
yeah

1800 calories intake
300 calories exercise every day
with your current profile you'll probably have BMR loss of around 2500-3000, you'll be losing 0.15 kg per day. Over a couple of months thats a good 10 kg loss.
It would be a reasonably comfortable diet but you must sustain it for success!

Make sure you make a spreadsheet with columns:
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Total
Exericse
Loss
Weight

and fill them in everyday. Weigh yourself at the same time everyday also.
Gaylei
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheese_fondue)
gaylei, you could check up (on google) how many calories you are actually eating a day. you'll probably be surprised/horrified.

for example, feta cheese and sweetcorn are quite calorific. so are any kinds of nuts... any kind of alcohol is really calorific too.
there is 179 cals in the amount of feta I have and then the pita is wholemeal and has 120 cals and then veg and the yoghurt has 112 cals in it.

not sure about the porridge I have one cup of oats and 1 cup of water and a teaspoon of honey
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cheese_fondue)

Feta cheese
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 260 kcal 1100 kJ
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 21 g
Protein 14 g

Yes high fat in the split. Not high fat overall. 100g of feta is a more than a serving there.

Sweetcorn calorific lol wut???

Water: 68.36 g

Calories: 77

Protein: 2.90 g

Carbohydrates: 17.12 g

Fiber: 2.4 g

Sugars: 2.90 g

Total Fat: 1.06 g

Saturated Fat: 0.164 g

Monounsaturated Fat: 0.312 g

77cals per 100g? brb throwing up my sweetcorns.

Not all alcohol is calorific, beer, ciders, alcopops are. Spirits aren't normally. The other effects on your body are much worse than the cals hit.

Sauces bad??
certain sauces are not good, creamy based ones for example have high saturated fat contents. Sauces based on tomatoes etc are good.

You have a fair few misguided views on food
mart1203
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
use www.nutritiondata.com to get accurate calorie readings of your food. I did this when I started weighing out food etc and creating my calorie requirements. Then yuou get to the stage when you can just measure stuff by eye.

If I was you I'd record a diary like others have suggested (weight measure same time each day, calories, exercise and how many calories it's burnt), it is time consuming but it is worth it. Also I'd think about mixing your cardio up, swop some of the sessions for HIIT on the spin bike/rower, play a sport once a week and include one day a week of weights to increase your lean muscle mass and thus your metabolism.
Gaylei
Rep:
?
(Original post by mart1203)
use www.nutritiondata.com to get accurate calorie readings of your food. I did this when I started weighing out food etc and creating my calorie requirements. Then yuou get to the stage when you can just measure stuff by eye.

If I was you I'd record a diary like others have suggested (weight measure same time each day, calories, exercise and how many calories it's burnt), it is time consuming but it is worth it. Also I'd think about mixing your cardio up, swop some of the sessions for HIIT on the spin bike/rower, play a sport once a week and include one day a week of weights to increase your lean muscle mass and thus your metabolism.
Id like to add a sport like badminton but I dont know how to go about it?
I am going to be doing that mix of cardio and one day of weights thing, whats HITT on a spin bike? I know what a spin bike is but whats hitt?
cheese_fondue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there is 179 cals in the amount of feta I have and then the pita is wholemeal and has 120 cals and then veg and the yoghurt has 112 cals in it.

not sure about the porridge I have one cup of oats and 1 cup of water and a teaspoon of honey
i just don't eat any cheese any more unless i have calories left over. just way too many calories. next time you're shopping, check the calorie values on the packing. if you do this every time you'll start to get a feel for what you're eating and how much of it you can eat without overdoing it.

you could substitute ham/chicken for the feta, that also tastes nice and has less calories. you could get no-fat/no-sugar yoghurt, really no difference in taste and saves calories again. also, don't put margarine/butter/spreads on your bread.

i only use artifical sweeteners, no sugar or honey. i like baking cakes and i use sweeteners/lo-fat margarine for baking too :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads