What uni am I likely to get into with these grades? Watch

MarcusLL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
okay here's my take on it.

For LSE - no chance even if you take Further Maths, due to GCSE grades
Cambridge - Apply post A2 - get rid of Accounting/business and replace with further and something else, quick and you may be in with a shot. However, I reckon they might wonder, hypothetically speaking, gets an AA in maths and further maths but fails to get an A* in GCSE mathematics even from a normal state comp. Economics is one of the most competitive courses so those getting offers with <5A*s might be a scarcity, despite this being a regular occurrence in the admission of students for other subjects.

- UCL, Warwick etc.... - really don't know. But if you apply post A2 you will deffo be in with a shot.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
However, I reckon they might wonder, hypothetically speaking, gets an AA in maths and further maths but fails to get an A* in GCSE mathematics even from a normal state comp.

i doubt theyd care, plenty of things happen

also business studies and accounting are 'soft' :\
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MarcusLL)
okay here's my take on it.

For LSE - no chance even if you take Further Maths, due to GCSE grades
Cambridge - Apply post A2 - get rid of Accounting/business and replace with further and something else, quick and you may be in with a shot. However, I reckon they might wonder, hypothetically speaking, gets an AA in maths and further maths but fails to get an A* in GCSE mathematics even from a normal state comp. Economics is one of the most competitive courses so those getting offers with <5A*s might be a scarcity, despite this being a regular occurrence in the admission of students for other subjects.

- UCL, Warwick etc.... - really don't know. But if you apply post A2 you will deffo be in with a shot.
Disagree with the LSE bit there, Marcus. Search the thread on LSE Economics GCSE: Myth or fact. A lot of us have agreed that it's speculation. Not achieving the 'benchmark 'of 6-8A* won't get you automatically rejected, you will be entered into the pool of candidates once you have the A-level grades - thus you have as good a chance as many other candidates. It all comes down to the PS and reference once you're in the pool. However, your GCSE grades may be used at the final stage to differentiate very similar applicants. Having said that, in the OP's case, I agree that he shouldn't apply to LSE for economics: NOT because of his GCSE results, but because of his A-level choices: taking economics, business studies AND accounting collectively is seen as a disadvantage by the top universities.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Universities reject a lot of candidates who have straight A's and A*'s in the best perfect subject combination at A levels and GCSE's because the top ones normally have 15+ applications per place. Have a look at the universities ranked between 6 and 10.
jus-mi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried greenwich?
leftie123
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belkin)
To do economics...

Maths A (268)
Economics A (259)
Business A (264)
Accounting C (182) (I got 90 in unit 1 but I had to sit unit 2 &3 when didn't want to yet an cocked up because hadn't learned material)
General Studies A (270)
What type of uni am I likely to get an offer for with those grades at AS.
I'd hope Cambridge/LSE but I don't think they're that good. This question assumes a decent PS.
Thanks
Just curious really.
Am I being thick here or are these hypothetical results because it says in your signature that you took the exams in june? :confused:

Anyhoo, if you can take up f.maths, and drop accounting that would be better and make your subject grouping look a lot stronger. However, even if you don't get in to LSE etc. just remember that they are not the be all and end all. There are plenty of highly respected decent uni's out there, eg. bristol, warwick, southampton, exeter, Nottingham, UCL etc. etc. that would give you an offer on those grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.29%
No - but I will (77)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.07%

Watched Threads